Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a new support document, Apple has detailed how to measure and fine-tune the calibration of the display on the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models.

macbook-pro-3.jpg

The new MacBook Pro models feature XDR displays with mini-LED backlighting and support for one billion colors, but certain workflows may require custom calibration:
Every MacBook Pro with Liquid Retina XDR display undergoes a state-of-the-art factory display calibration process on the assembly line to ensure the accuracy of the P3 wide color panel and the individual backlight LEDs. In addition, the factory calibration process enables sophisticated built-in algorithms to accurately reproduce a variety of color spaces used by media workflows today, including sRGB, BT.601, BT.709, and even P3-ST.2084 (HDR).

The factory display calibration process lets MacBook Pro users enjoy an exceptional viewing experience right out of the box. If your workflow requires custom calibration, you can measure your display, then fine-tune the calibration.
The process involves using a spectroradiometer and a set of QuickTime movie test patterns from Apple to evaluate the calibration of the display. The test patterns can be downloaded from the AVFoundation page on Apple's website under Related Resources > Color Test Patterns, with complete instructions available in Apple's support document.

In System Preferences > Displays, users can fine-tune the calibration of the MacBook Pro's display by providing the white point and luminance values measured by the spectroradiometer and the expected values for their target.

Apple's support document includes additional tips for measuring and fine-tuning the calibration.

Article Link: Apple Explains How to Custom Calibrate the New MacBook Pro Displays

michaeljk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
Do they come with a "spectroradiometer," is it built into the display, or do you need to have one of your own? I have an old, but still very nice, NEC monitor that has its own color spectrometer and sophisticated calibration software, and am wondering. if you can use the spectrometer with the new MacBook Pros.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
So wait... They removed or hid the built in Display Calibration Assistant and color profiles for these presets where you are limited to adjusting the white point and luminance only? Apple's factory calibrations have always been and continue to be awful (to my eyes) - and the default calibration on the XDR displays are no exception. Color correction and color profiles are a big part of display calibration.

If you like displays with a dingy green hue and with reds that border on dark orange, you're all set. If you prefer to calibrate your display using the built in and easy to use Display Calibration Assistant, Apple decided that their factory calibrations are the best, and 'pros' shouldn't be able to color correct the displays on their $4,000++ MacBooks using a simple built in tool that has been around for decades.

See my thread here for more info and a workaround. I certainly hope they unhide the Display Calibration Assistant and color profiles option - both color profiles and presets can coexist. I was surmising that hey hid this option because of its new wonky behavior when you do finally access it and they are trying to fix it, but now I am not so sure.

paddylaz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Excuse this noob question, but is this information being shared by apple because you CAN'T use a standard calibrator like a Spyder x/X-rite with this type display?

Reactions: Tofupunch

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Excuse this noob question, but is this information being shared by apple because you CAN'T use a standard calibrator like a Spyder x/X-rite with this type display?
I had the same question. I don’t have something like a Spyder…yet. So I’m not too familiar with the process.

Reactions: casperes1996

TrackZero72

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2017
"The factory display calibration process lets MacBook Pro users enjoy an exceptional viewing experience right out of the box. If your workflow requires custom calibration, you can measure your display, then fine-tune the calibration."

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
My question as well. I just ordered a Calibrite ColorChecker iDisplayPro device, because I read that it was a good option for calibrating my iMac Pro 5k display.

RFolk

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
USA
I have the MBP 16" M1 connected to the ultrawide LG .. I can't get the right colors on this monitor. Not sure if LG is at fault or M1 handle this in a different way, but something is off .

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
I have the MBP 16" M1 connected to the ultrawide LG .. I can't get the right colors on this monitor. Not sure if LG is at fault or M1 handle this in a different way, but something is off .
I can, I'm under delta E 1

Check so you don't have the I have forgotten the name but if you have your MBP also open at the same time the adaptive brightness and also the other function are affecting the display turn that of then calibrate it.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Interesting... yet another feature that's pushing me towards a 14/16 inch M1 MBP.

Was not expecting the features and performance to be that compelling, and just staying with my M1 MBA (an outstanding laptop, btw) for another year or two. I need to read more reviews and actually see one in person in an Apple Store.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Apple still lacks of hardware calibration which is a huge problem for professional uses.

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
Apple still lacks of hardware calibration which is a huge problem for professional uses.
What? You can use your own calibration hardware. It’s not up to apple.
Even pro displays can’t guarantee more then < delta e 0,5-1

• Disagree
Reactions: sunny5

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
What? You can use your own calibration hardware. It’s not up to apple.
Even pro displays can’t guarantee more then < delta e 0,5-1
What? Do you even know how hardware calibration works? I guess you dont even have Eizo.

Last edited:

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
Does the Pro Display XDR not offer hardware calibration? That’s insane for the price.

My eizo does for less than half the cost, granted it’s not as bright or pixel dense but still...

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Does the Pro Display XDR not offer hardware calibration? That’s insane for the price.

My eizo does for less than half the cost, granted it’s not as bright or pixel dense but still...
I dont think XDR has a true hardware calibration. Even it does, I dont think the software isn't there yet. Also, it does not have any exterior settings to use.

darthdrinker

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004
I have worked with professional colour measuring equipment from a.o. VeriVide. If you need to really trust your monitor for color accuracy you need to constantly re calibrate based on the number of viewing hours. You can’t say it’s factory calibrated so I don’t need that, it doesn’t work that way. Also whitepoint calibration is absolutely not enough to do this and that is by no means a “professional” calibration. So it sounds nice but it’s not enough for people who make money by trusting color accurate displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.