Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
RI
Last time I checked, PC is an abbreviation for "Personal Computer." Obviously a Mac would fall under the class of Personal Computers. "PC vs Mac" is a false dichotomy.

Saying "A Mac is a PC" makes complete sense.

Oh for GOD'S sake!
You KNOW what he is talking about, why do you have to post some hairsplitting argument about it?!
Well?

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Heh...advertising that is unobtrusive and non-annoying is advertising that is ineffective and useless.

This is the highest negative rating on an article I've seen in a while, and I have to say I agree. Even if something like this is initially optional, once the mechanism is in place, there will be pressure to make it spread like dry rot.

--Eric
Pish-posh. Let's take Google for example. Their ads are completely unobtrusive and I have checked them out a couple times before.

archangel08

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
are u effing kidding me?!

IF this dumb*ss idea ever became a reality, it BETTER be optional. But not at the cost of raising prices on OS software too. Like others have mentioned: we all pay a premium for Apple as it is. We don't need another reason to spend more on them for something so unfavorable. If it weren't an optional feature, I'd switch to Linux (hoping they haven't followed suit) - but never back to Windows (lol!)

I don't like watching commercials on TV. I don't even like watching 30 sec ads on Hulu either. It's absolute bull. I'll do ANYTHING to make sure I don't have an ad jump in my face while I'm using my personal computer.

And yeah... I could see Jobs being booed off the stage during a Keynote too if he tried to present this idea like that =P

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Oh for GOD'S sake!
You KNOW what he is talking about, why do you have to post some hairsplitting argument about it?!
Well?

Agreed...everybody knows "a PC" is shorthand for "a Windows box", and to go on about how technically a Mac is a PC is pedantry beyond which even I would stoop to....

Pish-posh. Let's take Google for example. Their ads are completely unobtrusive and I have checked them out a couple times before.

Hmm, OK. I'd still say that ads which are completely unobtrusive are less effective though.

--Eric

dbassett

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005
Off the fence and over to Ubuntu Linux

If this happens, I'm moving full-time to ubuntu. Or I might just spend most of my time hacking away at this to disable the adds.

blen

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
this will NEVER come out of Apple. I guarantee it - it is the complete opposite of everything they've made their brand.

IronRoses

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
I have a theory.

I expect these ad's will show in the version of OS X that Apple plan to release out to other OEM's later on.

Think about this for a moment.
Apple have already released: Drivers (every i support), iTunes and Quicktime for windows. Ad they are crippled and very slow indeed!

I think Apple will release a version of OS X for the Pc platform but, like iTunes and Quicktime, it will be crippled and slow and full of ad's.

Why full of adverts? To make the thicko's think "hmm, this is filled with ad's...i need to buy a mac, i'll have no ad's on that"

Would Apple do this? course they bloody would. You lot keep forgetting, Apple don't give a **** about us customers and loyal macheads, they're a company, a business and it's about time some of you learnt that and got it though your thick heads that Apple don't give a flying **** about any of you or me!

I honestly don't see any other reason to patent this.

For that person who said "maybe they're doing this to stop other companys doing this" - Are you serious? Apple don't give a damn about others either

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I have a theory.

I expect these ad's will show in the version of OS X that Apple plan to release out to other OEM's later on.

Think about this for a moment.
Apple have already released: Drivers (every i support), iTunes and Quicktime for windows. Ad they are crippled and very slow indeed!

I think Apple will release a version of OS X for the Pc platform but, like iTunes and Quicktime, it will be crippled and slow and full of ad's.

Why full of adverts? To make the thicko's think "hmm, this is filled with ad's...i need to buy a mac, i'll have no ad's on that"

Would Apple do this? course they bloody would. You lot keep forgetting, Apple don't give a **** about us customers and loyal macheads, they're a company, a business and it's about time some of you learnt that and got it though your thick heads that Apple don't give a flying **** about any of you or me!

I honestly don't see any other reason to patent this.

For that person who said "maybe they're doing this to stop other companys doing this" - Are you serious? Apple don't give a damn about others either

Wow... just... wow.

You have no clue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.