Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
+1 from me - for liquid metal!

i love that mock-up

ah well maybe 2011; with usb3 and an extra TB port!
OLED 3D touch screen would be nice too

Nice mockup but this wouldn't have a DVD drive or a backlit keyboard. Also, I do not like the color and the screen is glossy. Gawd!!! :)

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
What will the effect of carbon fiber be on the environment vs aluminum?

Carbon Fiber would be a nightmare for Apples Environmental Check-list. From what I've read:
Once the Carbon Fiber clothes are soaked or saturated with resin, it's basically non-biodegradable. But it seems like the auto industry is looking into a way to actually recycle this stuff.... taking old carbon fiber pieces like from planes and other crafts that utilize Carbon Fiber... and shredding them into reusable material.

Here's some good info:
"Ten years ago, carbon fiber cost $150 a pound. Now, the price is around $10 a pound. Steel, on the other hand, costs less than a dollar per pound. Many analysts say that for carbon fiber to make it into widespread use in cars, the price will have to drop to about $5 per pound."

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-economy/carbon-fiber-oil-crisis2.htm

slicktor

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I cant imagine Apple changing their design aesthetics that dramatically. Going from aluminum to carbon fibre, just like that will be very strange.

Imagine walking into an Apple store right now and instead of the silver aluminum macbooks sitting on their light wooden tables and against their aluminum panelled walls... there are these BLACK laptops.
They're gonna have to change their retail store look as well if they are going for a carbon fibre look from now on. hahaha... Carbon Fibre panelled walls and dark wood mahogany tables... that will accent the carbon fibre macbook pros pretty nice :p

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
COmposite materials? Maybe, but carbon fibre? I really doubt it. To go from touting the recyclability of the materials used to create their current products to switching to a material that is notoriously difficult to recycle doesn't make any sense. Some research is going into natural fibre composites, but I really don't see what's wrong with aluminium and how composites would really give many significant benefits. Saving 15% off the weight of a car gives the car better performance and better fuel efficiency, both major selling points for a vehicle. Saving 15% off the weight of a computer would give you a 15% lighter computer, making it slightly easier to lug around, but nothing else. I'd say that while people buying a laptop do look at the weight, they'll pay much more attention to performance and features.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I think thats a bit dark for Apple. The only black Macs they've had are the black MacBook and the black powermac.

Maybe Apple is going towards the "DARK SIDE"

They recently changed their website menu bar to Liquid Metal Black:
globalsearch_bg.png

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
COmposite materials? Maybe, but carbon fibre? I really doubt it. To go from touting the recyclability of the materials used to create their current products to switching to a material that is notoriously difficult to recycle doesn't make any sense. Some research is going into natural fibre composites, but I really don't see what's wrong with aluminium and how composites would really give many significant benefits. Saving 15% off the weight of a car gives the car better performance and better fuel efficiency, both major selling points for a vehicle. Saving 15% off the weight of a computer would give you a 15% lighter computer, making it slightly easier to lug around, but nothing else. I'd say that while people buying a laptop do look at the weight, they'll pay much more attention to performance and features.
Agreed. Sony had the vaio x that was partially made out of carbon fiber, 11" 1.5 lb. The 11" MBA is 2.3. If Apple wants to cut on weight, liquid metal is the way, especially since they are the only one who can use it in consumer electronics. The thing has a yield strength 25 times higher than aluminium :eek: . Injectable and recyclable. Price will be the main factor for liquidmetal, it's made primarily of zirconium, which isn't cheap.

lannim

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
Indiana
Just so I understand, liquidmetal is basically a strong metal that behaves like a plastic? I understand that it has a non crystalline atomic structure..is that basically the "big deal" about it?

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
NO! :(

Sorry but I love the metal feel. I can understand the alure of this and I would even welcome it on say the iPhone or iPad but I for one am not ready to think a plastic looking laptop looks better than metal, nope not me. :D

I don't want another plastic looking computer or phone, juck.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Agreed. Sony had the vaio x that was partially made out of carbon fiber, 11" 1.5 lb. The 11" MBA is 2.3. If Apple wants to cut on weight, liquid metal is the way, especially since they are the only one who can use it in consumer electronics. The thing has a yield strength 25 times higher than aluminium :eek: . Injectable and recyclable. Price will be the main factor for liquidmetal, it's made primarily of zirconium, which isn't cheap.

Not cheap for most but knowing apple they can create the demand that will push the price down just look at screens. also they do have a good price point where they are not competing for the bottom of the barrel prices so I can see them making it work. :rolleyes:
Liquid metal is where the future is for apple, please! :D

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
I think most consumers do not know carbon because they never had something like a racing bicycle made of it.

Many people will think apple has made the product worse or is just trying to safe costs when they see a carbon MacBook for the first time because they think it is "plastic" and not something high tech.

Christian

hotrock3

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
How about polycarbonate? Slick and hellishly durable.

I hope that is sarcasm.

My black macbook was less durable than my pre-unibody MBP. Not only did it crack at the palm rest as per the design flaw it had cracked a few places. Nothing bad enough to make it call apart but it looked nasty.

That reminds me, I need to change my sig.

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
I hope that is sarcasm.

My black macbook was less durable than my pre-unibody MBP. Not only did it crack at the palm rest as per the design flaw it had cracked a few places. Nothing bad enough to make it call apart but it looked nasty.

That reminds me, I need to change my sig.

It differs. I had one of the last white G3 iBooks, I think it was 800 MHz.
This was good looking (a transparent layer on the white shell) IMHO and while it scratched easily it lasted very long and I think the case was very durable. Ok, many of them had faulty logic boards, but that is a different story...

Several years later I hat one of the first white MacBooks. I had the infamous "case discoloration" and later there was a crack while nothing serious had happened to the notebook. The look and feel of the case was so "cheap" IMHO, it makes me wonder why they still produce plastic MacBooks at all.Now I have a MBA that looks and feels so much better.

Christian

blewyn

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2009
What about thermal conductivity ? One thing I love about my MBP (2008) is that the body itself is one big heatsink, which means the fan is small and quiet compared to other (plastic-bodied) brands, when it has to be used at all. Personally to only time I even hear it working is when I'm converting a movie from lagarith to divx in Virtualdub. AFAIK carbon fibre isn't as thermally conductive as metal.......??

hotrock3

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
It differs. I had one of the last white G3 iBooks, I think it was 800 MHz.
This was good looking (a transparent layer on the white shell) IMHO and while it scratched easily it lasted very long and I think the case was very durable. Ok, many of them had faulty logic boards, but that is a different story...
Christian

I forgot about the iBooks (slightly before my laptop buying days). Those were pretty solid feeling. Only down side to that design was all the work you had to do to change the hard drive.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

Blah blah.
Apple is INVESTIGATING carbon fibre!
You guys lack VISION!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.