Apple Express with Xbox 360 wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jackson222, Dec 11, 2008.

1. jackson222 macrumors newbie

Well first post so hey everyone!
    This is what I am trying to do, in one room down the end of our house we have our internet connection, it comes out of the wall into the modem, then is connected via ethernet cord to the our apple express. This sends the wireless signal all around the house, down the other end of the house our imac picks the signal up clearly and easily and the internet is fast.
    This morning I have bought an xbox 360 wireless adapter, to set up xbox live. Connected the adapter to the xbox, all fine, but it cannot find the signal from the apple express. Now these are the things that I can think of that may be the problem:
    -Xbox 360 adapter cannot pick up 802.11n signal
    -Some kind of apple v microsoft issue?
    -The xbox says something about MAC address when i troubleshoot, what does this mean?

Does anyone else use this exact set up?
    Anyones help is highly appreciated

2. arclight macrumors newbie

arclight

What does it say? Also, I believe you have an Airport Express. The Airport express is pretty straight forward. Problem probably lies with the x-box not searching for available networks.:cool:

3. jackson222 thread starter macrumors newbie

It says that my router may not allow the xbox to connect to the network and to check that I don't need to add my xbox's MAC address to the list of allowed devices. I'm not sure how to check this though?

4. arclight macrumors newbie

arclight

well, that doesn't make any sense......airport express could care less who is using it as long as you have the network key if your network is password protected or if it is open then it definately could care less who accesses it. Have you gone into network settings in the x-box to see what networks it sees that are available....do you see yours?:confused:

I am flying off the cuff here. I have an x-box but have not connected it to a network yet. I do have an airport express and use routinely.:)

5. jackson222 thread starter macrumors newbie

well the 360 doesnt have a list of networks available, it just says that it isnt connected to the internet.. Do you run a set up similar to this?
    The express is on 802.11n right? the xbox wireless adapter booklet doesnt say anything about being able to connect to 802.11n only 802.11g etc
    would that have anything to do with it?

oh ok

6. arclight macrumors newbie

arclight

Maybe, but I believed that airport express was backward compatible. In otherwords you could use a g rated card to access the airport express. My previous thought stands....the issue is with the x-box, it being a microsoft product, is not user friendly. You are going to have to massage it. Here is what you do, in quotes, do a google search for "connecting x-box to airport express" and see what you get. Probably has already been answered.;)

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The 360 usb wireless adapter is G-only, according to my N/G router.

8. jackson222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well I've looked through the link you gave me arclight..
    I am going to try configure my airport express settings, however (total newbie question) I don't know how? how do i do it?

9. arclight macrumors newbie

arclight

Also, from what I'm seeing on other threads on the web, is that your security has to be set to WEP not WPA or WPA2. Best results are found when you connect the xbox via an ethernet cable.

10. arclight macrumors newbie

arclight

Changing settings is done as follows:
    finder/applications/utilities/airport utility run the last one by double click follow the instructions change settings to the way it is described on the threads...good luck!

11. jackson222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i know the best result would be via cable, but its not an option since the internet connection and xbox are too far away from each other..
    I will try those security settings once i know how to edit the airport express settings :)

12. jackson222 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks i will try this

13. jackson222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Friggen hell this is alot harder then it should be! When i tried to open the airport utility it came up with: "you can't open the application "airport utility" because it is not supported on this architecture."

14. arclight macrumors newbie

arclight

uhhh.....Houston we have a problem! You better do a repair permissions of your hardrive. Do you do that routinely?

Wait, are you in tiger?

15. jackson222 thread starter macrumors newbie

On leopard.. and no dont do regular repair permissions, dont even know how to tell you the truth

16. arclight macrumors newbie

arclight

Did leopard come with your computer or was it an upgrade?
    Do an update search for your computer after you run the repair permissions. pathway for update: apple/search or check for updates

you should also do a search for maintenancewidget on apple.com. Download and install this widget. Use it. It will keep your mac in operating order.

to do disk permissions:
    finder/applications/utilities/disk utility then click on macintosh HD then click repair permissions. This may take 15 min. Be patient.

Most likely you have an old version of airport utility, just update it.

17. jackson222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok im running the disk permissions now, after this ill look for updates, i do search for updates every now and then but havent in a while, should i specifically look for an airport express update, or just download them all?
    and i will get the maintenancewidget as well, any other advice?

18. arclight macrumors newbie

arclight

download all updates you feel comfortable with. And nah...no other advice.

19. jackson222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have done all those things, and it worked, i was able to get into the apple express utility.
    I changed all the settings to the ones recommended, then tried to pick up the network with my xbox, no luck.
    Went back into the settings and changed them so that my network had no security at all, again tried to pick up the network and wasn't able to.

I'm now thinking it must definately be because the xbox 360 wireless adapter is not compatible with 802.11n

So my only option is probably to try another router at this stage?
    It would be really helpful if someone that actually uses this set up could tell me how they got it to work? or if anyone else can help?
    thanks

20. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

who administrates the network?

the SSId could be hidden, in which case you will need to manually enter the network name (ssid) into the X Box

MAC Address filtering could be turned on, in which case you need to find the Wireless adaptors MAC Address in the X box preferences somewhere -- and enter it into the Airport Express allowing the X box internet access.

There could be Security, in which case the X box needs a password or something to access it.

21. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I have an Airport extreme and I have the wireless adaptor and at first I could not connect to Live on the Xbox. After doing a bit of research I found out that the password type on my network would not work so I just changed the password type and it worked!\

I dunno if that will help.

ChrisN

22. Vanyasteen macrumors newbie

Bingo!

Correct. It supports 802.11a/b/g, with 802.11a preferred so as not to interfere with the wireless controllers, which operate in the 2.4 Ghz band. Your next step is to set the AEBS to 802.11n (802.11a compatible) mode.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessnetadapter/default.htm