apple extended keyboard "usb 3" ports?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mogens, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mogens macrumors member

Does anyone know if it's possible to get usb 3 speed from the ports on the wired apple extended keyboard? If not, will it slow down all connected USB connected devices, if I connect a USB 2 device to one of the keyboard ports.

2. simsaladimbamba

If you mean this keyboard, then there is no USB 3.0, thus there is no slow-down to be afraid of anyway.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The keyboard itself, and thus the two free ports on it, are USB 2.0. While any devices plugged in to the keyboard will only run at 2.0 speeds, it will not slow down other USB 3.0 devices plugged in to other ports on the computer.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Does anyone know if it's possible to get usb 3 speed from the ports on the wired apple extended keyboard? ]]

Answer: No.

[[ If not, will it slow down all connected USB connected devices, if I connect a USB 2 device to one of the keyboard ports? ]]

Answer: Yes.
    Anything you connect to the keyboard port will run at USB2 speeds. I doubt you will be able to connect more than 1 device to the keyboard ports, as they are very low power.

Other USB ports on the back of the Mac should continue to run at USB3 speeds.