Apple Extended Warranty Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ericksgotmac, Jul 5, 2009.

1. ericksgotmac macrumors regular

It's a simple question, if I buy the Extended Warranty for my uMBP and within that limit...lets say the last week, it decides to randomly stop turning on. Will Apple Care cover this even if the uMBP is obviously outdated by then and the new current gen's are all they have, would they just give me one of those?

Scenarios

1. uMBP's motherboard passes away x.x
    2. I bring it to the Apple store and they..

A. Realize they don't have the parts to fix it since it's outdated by then and give me a current MBP.

B. Somehow they have a new motherboard and replace that.

Can anyone who has something like this happen help me out?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They usually have the parts and/or replacements laying around for a few years, but if they don't you will get something fairly equivalent.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Option B.

They have plenty of stuff laying around. They will only replace a computer after you have had the same issue for the third time. Or if they deem it a special exception.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Apple keeps the parts to repair the computer for years after they are discontinued. They'll have the parts to repair the computer if you run into hardware trouble. Typically they'll do three repairs on a single major part before they give you a replacement computer.

5. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, one more question guys. My uMBP currently...the battery cover isn't sitting flush with the rest of the body. It has a little gap inbetween the body and the actual cover. If I take this to the Apple store, will they replace the cover or something? Or will they simply el oh el in my face?

P.S.
    Can anyone recommend a cover for the uMBP 15"? I would like one in black.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will depend. Without seeing it, we cannot give a decent answer. If you take it, the worst that can happen is they say no.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

usually covers/batteries will be a tiny bit off (1mm or so), so that is normal and I wouldn't worry about it. As for the case, you may want to check out Speck Products.

8. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, that's not normal. They should do something about it.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Usually a replacement is given if the same issue has occured three times within a year. If you hassle them enough you can usually get them to replace it if it's the third time overall.

11. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Yea, that ain't normal.

Its up to you whether or not you want a cover or not, it really makes no difference in terms of day to day use aside from the feel and texture of the keyboard, though it might be helpful if you're the sort of person that like to eat and drink stuff near the computer.

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Here's my experiences:

My 11 month old 1.33Mhz G4 Powerbook, logicboard dies:
    Apple gives me a new 1.5Ghz G4 Powerbook, with more ram!

My 6 month old MBP 2.2 GHz logicboard dies, I get a new logicboard.

So it varies.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its still in warranty, you can be sure apple will have replacement parts for your mac. They generally don't give you a new machine when repairing a computer.