Apple Extends U.S. Back to School Sale for Two Weeks, Excludes New iPad Air

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the debut of the new Apple Watch Series 6, the refreshed iPad Air, and the low-cost eighth-generation iPad, Apple has extended its Back to School sale in the United States, with the promotion now ending on October 12 instead of September 29.

In addition to extending the dates of the sale, Apple has also updated its Terms and Conditions [PDF] to exclude the new iPad Air from the promotion. Customers who purchase one of the new $599 iPad Air models (which are not available for sale yet) will not be eligible to get free AirPods.

Prior to today's update, both the iPad Pro and the iPad Air were eligible products that customers could purchase to take advantage of the free AirPods promotion.

The Back to School Sale in the United States initially launched on June 15, and it provides a $159 credit toward the purchase of AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods with Wireless Charging case for those who purchase a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Pro, or iPad Pro.

Apple launched Back to School promotions in Europe, Asia, Mexico, and the Middle East in July and the new iPad Air exclusion may also apply in other countries that previously allowed free AirPods with the purchase of an iPad Air.

Apple has not provided an exact date for when the new iPad Air models will become available for purchase, but they're expected to be available next month. Given that Apple specifically excluded the iPad Air from the Back to School sale but also extended it for two weeks, we could see the iPad Air become available before October 12.

Article Link: Apple Extends U.S. Back to School Sale for Two Weeks, Excludes New iPad Air

Cosmosent

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Anybody know, specifically, why NONE of the iPads with a 12 Mpx image sensor, including the new 10.9" iPad Air, do NOT support 4K Cinematic Stabilization ?

I believe it's because iPads do NOT include OIS.

Anyway, other than this limitation, the new 10.9" iPad Air is a great buy !

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jimthing

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
I have an iPad Pro 10.5 with gen 1 pencil and keyboard.

Someone, please, sell me on why I need a new iPad Air or iPad Pro.

I need a real push, cause how it feels right now this is a side step for me. (Trade in is $240, accessories not included.)

95% of my use is reading, 4% writing, 1% sidecar.

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
If I get the iPad Pro 11" with educational pricing and sell off the AirPods, I think the price will almost be the same as iPad Air 4. Is this correct or is my math/pricing way off?

Reactions: jimthing

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
If I get the iPad Pro 11" with educational pricing and sell off the AirPods, I think the price will almost be the same as iPad Air 4. Is this correct or is my math/pricing way off?
I was looking at these too, and the iPad Pro 11” seems like a better deal with the free Air Pods. Unless the A14 is way better than the A12Z?

I was comparing the 256GB versions.

arvinsim

macrumors regular
May 17, 2018

I need a real push, cause how it feels right now this is a side step for me. (Trade in is $240, accessories not included.)

If your current hardware meets your needs, then don't buy anything new.

Get off the rampant consumerism bandwagon.

Freida

macrumors 68030
Oct 22, 2010
Really? Don't buy anything. What you have is perfect for your needs. Its just lust taking over.

I have Air 2 and only now its start to show its age so I'll upgrade but your case, you can easily wait another year or 2.

Reactions: Kettil

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA

If you're happy with what you have then no big reason to upgrade.

I've got the 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9" from 2015(?) and it's still pretty awesome, I wouldn't mind something a little zippier, but it's holding up well.

(It's holding up better than my 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Quad-i7 with 16GB of RAM from 2015 [and that was a few more dollars!], I'm feeling the years a little bit on that one but it's a great machine).

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2011
Honestly, I don't think the new Ipad pro should be purchased without an update to it.
If the price delta is small (after selling off AirPods or if you were going to purchase regardless), the Pro still has nice features including more RAM, double the base storage, better GPU, better sound and Promotion. Those 5 things right there are easily worth the $100 premium to me. This assumes you can get $100 for reselling AirPods, which shouldn't be hard at all.

LeadingHeat

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2015
Interesting. I guess because it’s so new, the profit margins are a bit too skinny to include some free AirPods. Too much $$ in fresh R&D. Maybe next year!

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
If your current hardware meets your needs, then don't buy anything new.

Get off the rampant consumerism bandwagon.
Really? Don't buy anything. What you have is perfect for your needs. Its just lust taking over.

I have Air 2 and only now its start to show its age so I'll upgrade but your case, you can easily wait another year or 2.
If you're happy with what you have then no big reason to upgrade.

I've got the 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9" from 2015(?) and it's still pretty awesome, I wouldn't mind something a little zippier, but it's holding up well.

(It's holding up better than my 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Quad-i7 with 16GB of RAM from 2015 [and that was a few more dollars!], I'm feeling the years a little bit on that one but it's a great machine).
The iPad has never really met my needs. It's way to heavy. I have a kindle that I try to convert documents to, but where I used to read mostly textbooks now I read mostly journals. Journals that are exclusively released as PDFs that don't convert well to mobi.

I replaced an iPad 2 with the iPad Pro 10.5 because it had improvements in the display that suggested it would be easier on my eyes. Which, for the most part it was, but the trade-off was a device that was noticeably heavier. I just got someone an iPad Pro 12.9 and it felt good, but it was still heavy enough that I know it would be an issue to hold for a few hours.

For what it's worth I did try an iPhone 6 Plus but while it was possible to read on (a bit small) I found it terrible to use as a phone. I guess I am going to have to wait for Apple to see value in an iPad Mini Pro

Darajavahus

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2015
Anybody know, specifically, why NONE of the iPads with a 12 Mpx image sensor, including the new 10.9" iPad Air, do NOT support 4K Cinematic Stabilization ?

I believe it's because iPads do NOT include OIS.
I'm angry that it also do not support extended dynamic range for video, why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.