Apple Extreme or Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dayle903, Aug 21, 2011.

1. dayle903 macrumors newbie

I just hooked up a new wifi router from my ISP..I used apple extreme for my wireless before this new router. My question is..can I use my apple extreme in another part of my house to hook up my Xbox 360 to the internet without the use of a ethernet cable attached to the router..I would wire the 360 to the apple extreme and no wires to the router..Would that work?? I also have an apple express..would that do what I'm hoping. I'm hoping that I could use airport utility and join apple extreme or apple express to my new network..I think?? Any help is appreciated. thanks

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

yes. have the express or the extreme join the network when you set it up. there is an option that says join. then put in the password. after hardwire with an ethernet to the xbox and you should be good to go. if you are using the extreme use an ethernet port and not the WAN port to hard wire.

i used this setup a few weeks ago when i was away to bypass a single device only wifi restriction at a resort i was at. you could only have one device connected at a time so i had my express join the network with the password and then hardwired the extreme so the resort only saw the express on the network. works great lol :)

3. dayle903 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help nunes013, I will set that up today, if I have any other questions I'll post them.

4. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I think I have kinda the same question here, I have a Time Capsule and Airport Express. I use the Time Capsule as the main router, if I setup the Airport Express as an extender I can use the Ethernet port on the Express for something else. I want to plug in an AT&T Microcell to it since that has to be near a window. I explained in this thread, you can check there for the full story. Thanks.

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

not sure if it works with a microcell. it does work with an xbox 360 as that is what me and my friends set up in our dorm. i use my extreme as the main router and the express extends it. the xbox is plugged in via the ethernet jack to the express. im guessing it would work with a microcell as there is nowhere where it says it has to hardwired to say the modem.

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Great thanks, hopefully it works out. I am sure it will, if it works with one thing it should with another.

8. dayle903 thread starter macrumors newbie

apple extreme or express

Well this did not work out..here's what I did..I hooked my extreme to my computer and configured it to join my network,(cisco wifi router/modem with cable company) using DHCP, entered the network name and password for my cisco ISP then I unhooked it and brought it to the room where the 360 is, plugged in the power cord and connected the extreme and 360 via ethernet, I could not get online. When I troubleshooted with 360 it says, no IP address, no mac address. I tried the wan port as well as the ethernet ports on the extreme..
    I went online used my Ip address and made sure the cisco DHCP was enabled. Tried all the troubleshooting that 360 had on their web page.

So I'm back to my original question..can I use Extreme in a different room to get my online if the extreme is not ethernet connected to my isp router?
    Crossing my fingers that some one has a solution for me..thanks all.

9. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Here's what I would do.

I would disconnect the wifi router provided by your ISP and just use the Extreme and Express. Unless the wifi router is also the modem/gateway ... in which case, I would just use it as a modem.

I would leave the Extreme with the modem and set up the wifi network(s). With the Express, I would turn on the "bridge" mode and hook the XBox to it using ethernet.

Advantages - this set-up should absolutely work; simple management since all wifi components are a consistent brand.

Disadvantages - with the Express in "bridge" mode, it will not extend the network

Another option, if your network coverage isn't that great would be to use the Express as the main wifi basestation and use the Extreme as an extender. Place the Extreme near the XBox and it will wirelessly extend your network as well as provide local ethernet to the XBox and other equipment.

ft

10. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

I've been playing with it for the past hour at my house with my routers. i don't know how i did it before but it worked. i would go with ftaok. this is the best setup imo. in college i use this as i mentioned above. airport extreme connected from modem as base station>airport express wirelessly extends the network> xbox is plugged into the ethernet port on express to play live. also on that setup i have an NAS drive and two western digital my book studios and an apple tv that serve as our media center. i think there is a lot more you can do with that setup versus the other because the airport routers can work with each other. ill still try to figure your original way out though

11. dayle903 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...I've worked on this for days, and I think it should work too..but I think the problem is with 360 itself..they want you to use their wireless adapter..so I can't even get into the network section of xbox..they get me to two choices wired or wireless..when I pick wireless it tells me to attach the xbox adapter so it does not acknowledge my ethernet cord...and wired doesn't work either, cause I'm not connected to my ISP router. Short of buying 150' ethernet cable, I think it's impossible..well for my skills anyway..
    If anyone has got this figured out I'd sure love it..thanks all

12. dayle903 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks..I tried with my ISP router (it is a gateway)and joined my express, I tried with the ISP, and the Extreme and joined Express, I even created another network with the extreme and joined express...also I tried joined networks and then WDS, (I think that's what it's called)and bridge mode..nothing works..I think it's xbox, they don't acknowledge the ethernet cord and want their xbox adapter..
    I think too the last system update that xbox did, makes it impossible to do without their adapter or other pc devices that take an IT to figure out..
    way beyond me..
    thanks for the help, if you have any other ideas I sure love to hear them, who know maybe someone can get this working..

13. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

ill make sure i don't update because i relied on the two routers before if thats what they did. i wish the network adaptors weren't so expensive. plus to run such a long ethernet cable across a house or wherever is asking a lot.

i don't know what i did before but all i did was plug in the xbox to the express and it worked. i didn't have to set up anything. is there any firewalls on your network that might be preventing it from passing.