Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

960design

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I updated my 2+ year old Extreme Router right before vacation. It worked perfectly for the two days before I left. Upon returning the fan was running wide open ( I have never heard the fan before ) and I could not connect to the internet wirelessly, nor connect to it via Airport Configuration utility. I hard reset it and the same. So, I'm in the market for a new router.

Should I replace it with another Apple Extreme or is there an updated one on the horizon?

Thank you!

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
The Airport line is super old right now. And expensive for what it is. Hopefully, along with a new Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, iMac... there will be a new Airport before the year is out. If you need to buy now, probably best to go with another product.

I'm looking at this, http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx

These guys have done a good job of breaking down the possibilities and picked a few standouts.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

960design

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL

960design

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Good! Give us an update of how it went :)
Failure... the Apple Extreme Airport was purchased with my personal account, the computers with the business account, no way to match them up. I just bought a new extreme airport with the business account, NOW I'm covered. Live and learn.

Thanks for the info!

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Failure... the Apple Extreme Airport was purchased with my personal account, the computers with the business account, no way to match them up. I just bought a new extreme airport with the business account, NOW I'm covered. Live and learn.

Thanks for the info!
Remove the AirPort Extreme from your Apple ID and place it on the companies Apple ID.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I've had my extreme since 2008 - most solid router I've ever had. is this the most current router they have?

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
don't cheap out. I was waiting for the apple airport extreme 7th generation and felt dumb buying such a old router for $200. Could have gotten a refurbished airport extreme 6th gen for $110 on best buy. Ending up buying a $100 Linksys AC.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys...lack/5124122.p?id=1219110267093&skuId=5124122

Total garbage . It was for my parents house so didn't think they needed anything too special. They have 1 iPad, iMac, Samsung smart tv for netflix when my nieces come over and 2 iPhones. . They thought they had a virus as when I upgraded their old Airport extreme 5th gen ( my router from 4-5 years ago) to the linksys their comcast internet went from 30 MBS to ***** 1 !! or under 1 mbs.

The range on the thing is awful. I was able to fix it a little bit by moving the router to a better location but still no where near the 5th gen Airport extreme. I ended going to best buy 1.5 months later and complaining to the manager. They finally agreed to let me return it and got them a 6th gen refurbished Airport extreme. My brother has the Nighthawk but is way more techy them I am. The apple products are just so easy to use. Tho skip the express I found that to be borderline garbage as well unless you are trying to connect your stereo to your home network.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
don't cheap out. I was waiting for the apple airport extreme 7th generation and felt dumb buying such a old router for $200. Could have gotten a refurbished airport extreme 6th gen for $110 on best buy. Ending up buying a $100 Linksys AC.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys...lack/5124122.p?id=1219110267093&skuId=5124122

Total garbage . It was for my parents house so didn't think they needed anything too special. They have 1 iPad, iMac, Samsung smart tv for netflix when my nieces come over and 2 iPhones. . They thought they had a virus as when I upgraded their old Airport extreme 5th gen ( my router from 4-5 years ago) to the linksys their comcast internet went from 30 MBS to ***** 1 !! or under 1 mbs.

The range on the thing is awful. I was able to fix it a little bit by moving the router to a better location but still no where near the 5th gen Airport extreme. I ended going to best buy 1.5 months later and complaining to the manager. They finally agreed to let me return it and got them a 6th gen refurbished Airport extreme. My brother has the Nighthawk but is way more techy them I am. The apple products are just so easy to use. Tho skip the express I found that to be borderline garbage as well unless you are trying to connect your stereo to your home network.
You either got a lemon or there were errors setting it up; that router can perform better than the AEBS in test conditions, and for most users. Indeed, you'd have to have BIG problems to get only that rate.

Go look on SmallnetBuilder.com. They have comprehensive testing of all routers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.