Apple Faces Lawsuit Over iPad Overheating

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that Apple is facing a new lawsuit over complaints that the company's iPad tablet device overheats too quickly in direct sunlight.
The complaint, filed July 23 in federal court in Oakland, California, seeks unspecified damages and class action, or group, status. It claims the iPad "does not live up to the reasonable consumer's expectations created by Apple" because it "overheats so quickly under common weather conditions."

The iPad has a 9.7-inch touch-screen display that lets users read books and magazines, view videos, play games and surf the Internet. In direct sunlight, the tablet "turns off, sometimes after just a few minutes of use," according to the complaint.
Apple's iOS devices offer an emergency overheating mode that shuts down the device and displays a warning screen until the device has sufficiently cooled down to permit normal operation, allowing only emergency calls on the iPhone. Apple has maintained a support document on the topic of overheating dating back to at least the iPhone 3G, updating it periodically to now include the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPad in its coverage.

Article Link: Apple Faces Lawsuit Over iPad Overheating

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
This may end up being the one that sticks... I personally haven't had the warning on my iPad, but I have not tried to use it outside yet, either.

orbital

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
Um lets see, a black screen in direct sun when its 90+ degrees. I think it should have its own fan/ liquid coolant system and last for 1000 hours. I also want it 20% thinner.

Mrbill317

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
My ipad

I have taken mine out in 90 degree plus weather with no problems but mine did get excessively hot after a backup took 6 hours when the OS update came out.
People should understand they are holding an aluminum coated computer , stay out of the direct sunlight lol

bperrella

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Wow really?? Maybe I can sue my local supermarket because my ice melts when I go outside in the sun too!

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Oh....Apple is so evil...

They designed their products to get hotter when under direct sunlight....

4FalconAF

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Never heard anyone about overheating, so I don't think it as a real problem. Now Apple is getting bigger and bigger they just attract more absurd lawsuits.

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Only time I have ever gotten "To hot, must cool down" alert was when I left the ipad in a hot car for a couple of hours.

Bull

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
What do you expect? It's a piece of metal.

iPad's a piece of aluminium with its own internal heat-generating components. Is it any surprise that it gets hot when used in direct sunlight?

Use some common sense, people.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Apple's iOS devices offer an emergency overheating mode that shuts down the device and displays a warning screen until the device has sufficiently cooled down to permit normal operation,
At least Apple have had the sense to implement measures so the things don't fry themselves to death.

It could be far worse.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I've read some posts where users got a msg indicating this issue.

Resolution: Do not keep ipad in in 110 degree car or any other similar environment. :rolleyes:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I'm sorry, but what?

There's a lawsuit against a company for doing something to protect the device? Do these idiots want it to burn them?

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Maybe this is why Amazon is running those commercials with people reading Kindle on the beach. Let's hope this spurs some 'I'm a kindle and I'm an ipad" commercials. ;)

Patamon

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I've had this happen twice over the Summer. Each time I was sitting in direct sunlight and the temperature was 95 degrees plus. It took about 30 minutes for the device to shut down.

I wasn't surprised. Actually, I was glad to see that fail-safe functionality built in to the unit. It's a safety mechanism. If I exceed the operating temperatures that are clearly written and fry the unit is it Apple's fault?

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Environmental requirements
Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
This is why companies don't want to set up shop in the United States. Any moron that can fill out paperwork can get a lawsuit going:mad:

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I bet its probably to do with the aluminum backing.. Aluminum is a good thermal conductor. Its used for cooling processors and video cards.. so not surprised if its heating up under the sun..

Still I don't understand why Apple doesn't have better testing.. they should have tested it under all possible conditions, a lot of people like to read books outside.. =/ Apple seems to skimp on things a lot lately..

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
Apple = the new Microsoft.

If a lawsuit is mounting against Apple, it means it's not a case of a battery-operated device warming up normally under the sun. Stop defending these people blindly, they've been careless, now they'll suffer the backlash.