Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new British cybersecurity law mandates smart device manufacturers like Apple to enhance protections or face hefty penalties.

iphone-15-series-store.jpg

The legislation, known as the Product Security and Telecommunications Infrastructure (PSTI) Act, introduces robust requirements aimed at securing devices connected to the internet to make it harder for cybercriminals to get access to private networks.

The law specifically targets the inadequacies in current security measures by mandating three major changes: the elimination of default passwords, a clear protocol for reporting security vulnerabilities, and detailed consumer information on the length of product support and software updates. These stipulations apply to all companies manufacturing or selling smart devices in the UK.

For Apple, the law will necessitate a review of how its products comply with these enhanced standards. While Apple devices do not use default passwords, the company will need to ensure that all of its connected devices sold in the UK clearly communicate the duration of security support to customers. In addition, affected companies are expected to establish or refine their contact points for security issue reporting.

Retailers such as Apple stores are also required to provide customers with point-of-sale information about the cybersecurity practices relevant to the devices they purchase. The PSTI Act also includes strict penalties for non-compliance, with fines that can reach up to £10 million ($12.5 million USD) or 4% of the offending company's global turnover.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Faces New Cybersecurity Law in UK

Reactions: adrianlondon

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
Will be nice to see Apple saying how long people will get security updates. They used to be best in class, but Samsung and Google's 7-year policies are now the expectation rather than an unwritten policy that Apple has. You can currently get iOS 17 on an iPhone XS, so that's 5 years of updates, but they can sometimes go further with some out of cycle point releases for major bugs. Just would be nice for them to say a number.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
All this concern for privacy and security when the very governments issuing these requirements are themselves keen to collect data on their own citizens and want backdoor entry points to mobile operating systems.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I'm sure Apple will fare reasonably well here, they already support devices for quite a long time.

Online / digital security is something that is far too often overlooked or taken for granted. Within 20 years we've went from people spending £120/year on Norton anti-virus to willingly installing what's basically spyware like TikTok or Zoom on their devices.

I think it's important for companies to be held to account over data protection, but we still need to do so much to educate the everyday person to protect themselves (and their loved ones) online.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Yeah this in particular shouldn't be controversial or hard for Apple to comply. The security that needs to be stepped up is all round encryption against everyone that is not the account user, including, or especially, governments. But of course the EU and other governments are not going to legislate against themselves.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
All this concern for privacy and security when the very governments issuing these requirements are themselves keen to collect data on their own citizens and want backdoor entry points to mobile operating systems.
Yup, I trust Apple, a greedy corporation, with my data so that it can use it for its ad platform. I do not like my government to access the data to solve crimes of national importance.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Nice one, especially "detailed consumer information on the length of product support and software updates".
I would have wanted a fourth one saying "any connected device need to be supported with security updates for at least 15 years with the last 5 years being offered can contain a small and justified fee"

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I'm sure Apple will fare reasonably well here, they already support devices for quite a long time.

Yeah, doesn't look like it will be much work for Apple to comply with this one. But just on the above point, I don't think there is any mandate for a specific minimum length of support, just a requirement to make it clear to customers what the minimum commitment is.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Will be nice to see Apple saying how long people will get security updates. They used to be best in class, but Samsung and Google's 7-year policies are now the expectation rather than an unwritten policy that Apple has. You can currently get iOS 17 on an iPhone XS, so that's 5 years of updates, but they can sometimes go further with some out of cycle point releases for major bugs. Just would be nice for them to say a number.
You're confusing full iOS updates with security updates.

The iPhone 6s got a software update just at the start of March, iOS 15.8.2 which was a security release. That phone is seven and a half years old.

Samsung Galaxy S20, a four year old phone, last upgradable version is Android 13. What expectation, exactly, is Samsung setting?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

A number doesn't mean much if critical vulnerabilities aren't fixed. The real metric is number of CVEs fixed.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014

This is how the game is played. Spend years battering tech firms into submission with legislation on app stores and USB ports because "won't someone please think of the users", then move in for the killshot by dictating security protocols. Security protocols they want backdoors into. I warned people about this when they were clapping like circus seals for more regulation.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yup, I trust Apple, a greedy corporation, with my data so that it can use it for its ad platform. I do not like my government to access the data to solve crimes of national importance.

Don’t know about you but I trust apple more than my government.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Nice one, especially "detailed consumer information on the length of product support and software updates".
I would have wanted a fourth one saying "any connected device need to be supported with security updates for at least 15 years with the last 5 years being offered can contain a small and justified fee"
Not just security updates, but also browser and connected-services updates, because you’re unlikely to be able to browse the internet very well with a ten-year-old browser.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, doesn't look like it will be much work for Apple to comply with this one. But just on the above point, I don't think there is any mandate for a specific minimum length of support, just a requirement to make it clear to customers what the minimum commitment is.
It will add more competitive pressure. Since Google and Samsung already promise seven years, Apple might decide to go up to eight years, for example. Length of support is something that consumers actually care about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.