Apple factory fitted -v- Upgrading yourself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iFanboy, Apr 11, 2012.

?

Factory fitted Apple components (such as RAM and SSD) -v- Upgrade yourself at home?

1. Factory Fitted

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Upgrade yourself with your own chosen components at home

41 vote(s)
    95.3%
  1. iFanboy Guest

Currently using the early 2009 Macbook Pro in my sig.

I upgraded the SSD and the RAM myself fairly inexpensively. Runs awesome :)

My question is that I'm planning to upgrade to the as-yet-unreleased 2012 models this year, and wondered whether to do the same again and upgrade the components myself, or this time pay extra for Apple factory fitted where the components used MAY not be as good as the parts I would purchase myself.

What are your intentions? Max out the extras and let Apple installers factory fit the components (such as RAM and HDD/SSD), or upgrade yourself when you get the Macbook Pro home?

Is it better to upgrade the RAM and HDD/SSD yourself?

Thoughts appreciated :)

2. Bear macrumors G3

The RAM is definitely worth doing yourself. As for the SSD or hard drive, you need to see what APple's upgrade prices are this time around. The price difference is sometimes small enough to bot be worth the hassle.

Also, how soon do you want to possibly void the warranty on a new computer?

3. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

To be honest, especially in the CURRENT models, neither replacement is that difficult, but that being said, you have to be careful and somewhat knowledgeable to do these upgrades.. :apple:

** As an analogy, I know a LOT of people who couldn't change the Oil in their car, and others who can Rebuild an Engine quite easily.. Some CAN and others SHOULDN'T is what I am saying!! :rolleyes:

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

5. iFanboy thread starter Guest

WOW, landslide!

I think I'll save some $$$ and upgrade the RAM and SSD myself :)

6. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Ram I don't mind doing myself. SSD the same thing. The only way Id have it done by apple is if I really could afford it. To me its worth the warranty on the entire computer if you can afford it.

7. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

No brainer, upgrade yourself with after reviewing a number of guides and take some simple precautions. It's worth the extra money in your pocket.