Apple Factory Installing Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by King Apple, Jun 22, 2011.

1. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

So I hear that Lion is going to be released in July. I'm not sure when in July, does anyone know? Heres my dilemma. I need to buy a Macbook Pro before I go to college in August. I will be taking advantage of the Back to School Promotion that Apple is offering. I am a fairly new Mac user. Should I buy the Macbook Pro now with Snow Leopard, and then go through the hassle of upgrading the OS to Lion? Or should I wait until July so that Apple can factory install Lion into the Macbook Pros being shipped out. Waiting is not really a big deal for me. Now, I've also heard some arguments that the new Lion is not going to be stable until maybe 10.7.3 or 10.7.4, while Snow Leopard is very stable already. Is this rumor true? Because if its true, I might as well buy a Macbook Pro now in case Lion is buggy. I'm a Mac noob, what do you guys think?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You might as well buy now.

Updating to Lion once it's released will not be a hassle, especially since you need only to purchase it from the Mac App Store and installing should be fairly simple.

And to your second point, that is valid. It may be a smart decision to purchase now and run Snow Leopard for now, then wait to see what the word is on Lion and its stability after it's released. You may then choose not to update until the OS is more stable and less buggy.

Updating to Lion will be free if you buy now, so if I were you I'd just go ahead and buy now. But, of course, it is up to you.

3. CFoss macrumors 6502

The Lion upgrade will be easy.

1. Go to App Store
    2. Purchase Lion, and Install
    4. ????
    5. PROFIT!!!

4. King Apple thread starter macrumors regular

King Apple

thanks for the responses, i'm leaning toward just buying the macbook pro now.
    anyone else?

5. CFoss macrumors 6502

I would be in the same boat, if it wasn't for the rumours of EWQL Libraries FINALLY upgrading the PLAY engine to support 64-bit (aka utilize the full 14GB RAM in my system).

6. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Will updating to lion reformat your HDD? I've never had a Mac but this new digital copy of lion really sketches me out. What if we don't have Internet access.? I'm sure people will eventually crack it to be able to load onto a DVD but til then

7. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

It's just an update, no clean install required.

8. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

If you have purchased a new Mac after June 6 (the date of the WWDC Keynote) you can get Lion for free. So I'd go ahead and buy now. Also, they said in the keynote that you won't even need to reboot after upgrading to Lion, so obviously you won't need to reformat your drive.

9. tombubi macrumors regular

10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

You can already burn the dev releases to DVDs, so I don't see the "official" release being any different.

11. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Buy now and get used to Mac before you're buried in schoolwork. Worry about Lion later.

12. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

This is why I'm making the switch lol, Windows could never pull this off

13. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

buy now and you get the lion upgrade for free anyways so thats not even a dilemma. since anyone who buys after the keynote get the upgrade for free through the up to date program through apple.

14. JRG1392 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation. When lion comes installed is it going to come with any restore discs or anything? I've heard that if restoring you're always going to have to start with snow leopard and then get lion through the app store but that doesn't make sense for when your comp comes with lion preinstalled? What if I were to put in a new HDD? I plan on upgrading to a SSD at some point so there's a good chance I'll have to go through this.

15. falcor87 macrumors newbie

If you live anywhere near an apple store, I believe they are offering free wifi access to download Lion, for folks wanting to avoid the 4GB hit to their monthly bandwidth usage and also those without internet access.

16. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Naturally the Apple Store they're building here won't open until September...

17. King Apple thread starter macrumors regular

King Apple

does anyone have an answer to this?

18. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Even if you get Lion pre-installed, there's nothing stopping them from including a Snow Leopard factory disc in the packaging.

I would trust that they have these things figured out before pushing out the new product.

19. xdbuix macrumors 6502

yea buy now. Back to school feature plus lion later for free. That's alot better than getting lion preinstalled minus the back to school.

20. Adisah macrumors regular

Take your time and don't forget to always read the fine print.

*Buy a qualifying Mac from Apple or a participating Apple Authorized Campus Store from June 16, 2011, through September 20, 2011, and receive a $100 Back to School Card for use on the Mac App Store, the iTunes Store, the App Store, and the iBookstore. If the qualifying Mac is returned, your refund may be reduced by the full amount of the Back to School Card. Terms and conditions apply. Not all Apple products qualify for education pricing.

21. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Yeah, go ahead and jump on it.

No one's really sure about all the back up/physical media issues at this point.
    But it is a good idea to wait till a .2 or .3 release of a new OS if you're doing mission critical work on a system.

And that's true of the whole industry, btw. Not just Apple. Software always needs some fixes after a general release.

22. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I also start school in August, and I just got my new 13" MBP two days ago! :) just as others have been saying, the upgrade to lion will be pretty easy (and free!) so there's really no disadvantage to buying now... Buy now and start enjoying your computer sooner

23. MrRoyksopp macrumors regular