Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Does the factory OS install differ in anyway from a clean install?

Would I lose anything by performing a clean install when the iMac arrives?

GyOzA

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
Does the factory OS install differ in anyway from a clean install?

Your iMac should come with the installation disc, and the disc includes everything.

What’s in the Box
• iMac
• Apple Remote
• Apple Keyboard
• Mighty Mouse
• Power cord
• Install/restore DVDs <---- THIS ONE
• Printed and electronic documentation

Leon Kowalski

macrumors 6502a
The factory-preload contains just about everything -- except the Xcode development tools and some other specialized stuff (that can be loaded from the install disks). I'm not aware of anything on the factory-preload that's "missing" from the install disks.

If you do a custom clean-install, you can arrange to "lose" several GB of bloatware, multi-lingual documentation, and unused applications.

For example, the iWork and MS-Office "Test Drive" bloatwares consume about 2.5 GB of disk space (that's OVER HALF of /Applications, in total). Also, if you don't plan to use them, you can save hundreds of MB by not installing big apps like iWeb or GarageBand. (You can easily install them later, if the need arises.)

Eliminating extraneous clutter speeds up the install AND improves system performance (especially file searches, Repair Permissions, SW Updates, etc). Lean n' mean systems run faster and are easier to maintain.

...less is more,

Looby

peelmanG4

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2007
Agreed. I typically try to do a clean install and remove the bloat. You never know when that few hundred megs of space will come in handy down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.