Apple falling behind?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dwalls90, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Isn't it a little odd, that there is no 5.1.2 to patch the 5.1.1 exploits for jail-breaking? Surely Apple could have patched the exploits by now, and 5.1.1 was released over 2.5 months ago at this point.

Does this demonstrate the power of a different CEO at the helm? Are they relenting on jail-breaking? iOS 6 is clearly not jail-breakable, but I would attribute that more to iOS being rewritten, thus accidentally removing the exploits.

2. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

iOS 6 is already jailbroken.

3. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Not really. The bootrom exploit is for A4 devices and lower, so any version of iOS will be jail-breakable in the future, but it's not untethered and A5 and higher cannot be JB.

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Wait, what? Source? :rolleyes:

5. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

They aren't going to really start working on an untethered jailbreak until its out of beta and released to the public. I think eventually the dev team will crack it, if they haven't already.

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

For your information, A4 devices will always be jailbroken (tether) because of the bootrom exploit.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

There is not such a thing a "not jail-breakable" ;), If it is running software it just matter of time (sometime it make sense, sometime it doesn't).

But back to the question, I don;t think they are falling behing, I think the focus at the moment is on iOS6 (and the not yet announced features that would be on the next iPhone and the Apple TV set)

8. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Right, I understand this. My point isn't that there isn't an iOS 6 jailbreak, my point is why Apple, who in the past has rushed out iOS updates to patch jail-break vulnerabilities, hasn't in this instance.

Don't be unnecessarily sarcastic, clearly it will most likely eventually be jail-broken, but at present it's not.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

maybe Apple is catching on and realizing that most jailbreakers are not going to fall for those little minor updates. Allot of non hackers don't even bother.

10. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

It is debatable if Apple is falling behind.

Their app store is still tops, and that is probably the single most important aspect of a phone for me.

Sometimes they are a bit slow to implement functionality, but I will give Apple credit... When the functionality is implemented, it is usually better implemented than it is on rival products. Not always (I don't think iCloud is any better than Google's Syncing or Dropbox), but usually. I still haven't seen a music player on a non-Apple phone that is even as usable as my first iPod touch was.

11. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

:confused: I wasn't talking about falling behind as a whole in terms of iOS, but in terms of plugging jailbreaking vulnerabilities.

12. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

I think Apple is starting to embrace the JB community, they are getting plenty of ideas to steal and incorporate into their iOS, and I am sure they know that if the iPhone could no longer be jailbroken they will lose a good chunk of their lcustomer base. I personally would not own an iDevice unless I could jailbreak it, the iOs is just starting to look antiquated, especially with all the strides the Android OS is making..

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

iOS 6 is still in beta, and probably the real crackers are waiting for it to become official before releasing their tools.
    You have no clue what others do. You not knowing whether jailbreak is possible or not doesn't mean anything. I asked your source without irony, even with that smiley, because there really is no reason to even think about that. :)

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

TS isn't talking about IOS 6.0 since it's beta.. he is pointing out that Apple used to release minor firmware updates to patch the found exploits for jailbreaking. 5.1.1 then release say 5.1.2. Then apple will say for Battery etc. 6.0 will be a major exploit. @p0sixninja has also said he is sitting on a few exploits he is saving for 6.0 official release if they are not patched. he is correct Apple has slowed down the Cat and mouse game. It is however getting a little tougher to find the exploits so I'm glad Apple is slowing down. Maybe it's a attitude change at Apple since S.J. passed away.

15. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Exactly my point, thanks for understanding! And yes we should be thankful if they have slowed down their pursuit of patching jailbreaks.

16. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Why release an update without adding any features? They want to keep the features for iOS 6 to speed up adoption, rather than bringing them to iOS5. People are a lot less likely to download a big update just for "bug fixes" and "various speed improvements" all of which would be preventing the jailbreak.

Besides, Apple knows they need the jailbreak community to come up with "ideas".

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

:rolleyes:

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Why is it some people presume to think they know what Apple should or shouldn't do ?

After all, Apple has the most cash reserves (from profits) of any company in the world.

19. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Right. This would seem logical. Except for the fact that Apple has been notorious for releasing incremental updates (.1,.2,.3) with "minor bug fixes and battery improvements" while in reality the update was released only to patch jail-break vulnerabilities. You do realize that about half of the incremental updates were released solely to patch security/jail-break vulnerabilities, and didn't provide additional features?

I, too, am hoping that they are lightening up on jail-breaking in hopes of cooperating and adopting their ideas. If this is the case it represents a change of behavior and new attitudes, which was the point of the discussion.

iOS 6 clearly IS NOT fully Jail-breakable right now on the most recent hardware. Can you run an untethered jailbreak on an iPhone 4S running iOS 6 beta right now? NO.

Being a sarcastic and noncontributing poster accomplishes nothing. Will iOS 6 be jail-breakable in the future? Probably, but there are NEVER guarantees on this front. NO one has seen the new iOS hardware or a final build of iOS 6.

This post isn't detailing what Apple should or shouldn't do. This post is raising a question as to why Apple is deviating from past practices of releasing updates to patch jail-break vulnerabilities shortly after exploits are released to the public.

20. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You probably missed my previous post:
    The point being: you have no idea what the real crackers know.

I have never claimed that iOS 6 isn't jailbreakable, you did. I was pointing out that nothing supports that, which is therefore an opinion, and an opinion in these matters is not important, especially without sources.

Also, you're stating no one has seen the new hardware or a final build of iOS, and this alone makes your thread almost useless. You're discussing about a company putting/not putting efforts in an area without any sort of evidence (iOS 6 GM; new hardware; research showing that).

I'm not being sarcastic, despite the smiley I see you really like.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

Personally I have never seen a piece of hardware or software that can not be cracked. Some devices and software are more challenging put those devices seem to attract the best hackers. If Apple were to succeed in stopping the hacking they would loose me as a customer and many others as well. As dhlizard said nobody knows there plans and they are number #1 out there so they have to be doing something right. Even if we don't always agree with it. like everything else time will tell.