Apple Fan, First Mac (for music), need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac Head, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Mac Head macrumors member

Hi all

I'm new here!
    I really like apple products and have become somewhat of a fan.
    I'm also a student looking for a mac that I can use for music production mainly (aswell as everyday tasks). I would like to also use it as a desktop with an external monitor.
    I will be running Apple's premium audio package, and this is the main reason I will be purchasing a mac.
    Also I will need something portable, as I will need to take it from university, lectures to home etc.
    I am guessing a Macbook Pro is a good choice, will the base configuration be sufficient?

What else should I look at buying, such as a bigger hard drive and upgrade it myself (I noticed that a 500gb 7200RPM is out).

Thanks

Mac Head

2. Mac Head thread starter macrumors member

Also, I am thinking maybe I should hold out for Blu Ray and USB 3.0...
    As a student, this is a very big investment so I do not want to rush

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

why do you need Blu-Ray and USB 3.0? You'll be waiting until 2012 at least until Apple introduce those, but its your time if you want to wait.

If your just going to be doing audio work then a 2.4 Macbook will be fine for you, but if you have the money to spend, and will be using student discount, and want a higher build quality, larger screen, far higher quality screen then the base Macbook Pro will do you just fine.

4. foxx0775 macrumors member

the base model will be ideal.

the cpu isn't usually an issue for audio heads, just make sure you max out the RAM as this will dictate how many tracks/virtual instruments etc you can have open

7200RPM HDD could be useful, but it is more something to upgrade in the future after getting a feel for your usage. i store tracks on an external so a 5400 drive is fine for me at the moment.. plus i'd like to keep the warranty intact for a while :)

if you are at university, make sure you get student discount, it takes 10% of the notebook but gives you apple care for £60 too. bargain.

what kind of production are you into out of interest?

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Upgrading the MBP's hard drive doesn't void the warranty. In fact, it's extremely simple and there are instructions in the manual. Steve Jobs even highlighted how simple it was to replace the HDD in the new Macbook's.

6. foxx0775 macrumors member

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

This is true. Ive changed my Hard Drive numerous times and Apple says it doesnt void the warranty, and changed my DVD drive although that might void the warranty, but theres no way they know anyhow.

8. Mac Head thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys

Thanks for participating in the thread and sharing your thoughts.
    Anyway, I think I need the macbook Pro because it has firewire 800 and this is a must.

I realised waiting for blu ray etc is far fetched, I need this computer by summer as I want to get everything installed and configured.

Shall I max out ram at the apple store to 4GB or shall i purchase a 4gb and a 2gb stick and max it out to 6GB.

And with switching out hard drives later, won't this be a hassle as I will have set up my macbook etc then to have to switch hard drives later...
    But if this is a wise thing to do, which hard drive shall I opt for for now.

Oh and in terms of what I do... DnB, trance, rnb, hip hop, orchestral scores etc
    everything apart from rock (I love Rock don't get me wrong, I just can't play guitars well enough).

I'm really looking forward to the switch, hoping it will take my stuff to the next level in terms of flexibilty and quality. :apple:

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Install 6GB yourself. It's super simple and you will get significantly better performance. If you decide to opt for 4GB, don't get it from Apple. Do it yourself.

Get whatever hard drive you feel fits your budget. Use SuperDuper(http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) to create a restore file of your current HDD to allow you to transfer easily. It's super easy to upgrade later.

Good luck!

10. foxx0775 macrumors member

awesome. im at university too. i compose electro/house but record bands as well. what kind of hardware?

ive maxed my mbp to 4GB ram.. best to get 2 2Gb sticks from crucial and fit it yourself. save muchos £££. a 4 and 2 won't give you dual channel, which isn't best for performance. plus a 4gb stick is quite expensive. dont think it would be worth it.

if you have the cash, swap out the drives straight away. you'll have to investigate whether its cheaper for apple to do it (online config) or do it yourself... 320GB 7200RPM would be a nice addition. then whip out your existing 250GB and put it in a new case and you've got yourself an external drive to backup itunes and keep your logic loops .. (for example) im tempted to do this now! i thought my warranty would be voided..

11. Mac Head thread starter macrumors member

Cool. Might go for the 500gb. Its only about 60. I've got a few synths and looking to get some sort of interface aswell. I wonder if snow leapord will allow 8gig in the 15. That would be super cool.

12. Mac Head thread starter macrumors member

Also, 6gb or 4gb???

Also I've heard that the 500gb 7200 drives are noisy and vibrate, this is not cool at all...

hmm