Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

fbi-logo-250x258.jpg
In the aftermath of a deadly shooting at a Texas Church on November 5th, the FBI and other law enforcement agencies failed to immediately ask Apple for help unlocking shooter Devin Patrick Kelley's iPhone, reports Reuters.

According to a source that spoke to Reuters, the FBI did not contact Apple for about 48 hours after the shooting, missing a critical window where the iPhone in question might have been easier to unlock.

If the iPhone had Touch ID enabled, the shooter's finger might have been able to be used to unlock the device. But that unlocking method would have needed to be used within a 48 hour window, as Touch ID is disabled after 48 hours have passed since it was last activated or when the iPhone is powered off.

Christopher Combs, head of the FBI's San Antonio field office, said on Tuesday that the shooter's smartphone is being transferred to the FBI's crime lab in Quantico, Virginia as authorities have not been able to unlock it.

Little is known about the shooter's smartphone at this time. Sources told the Washington Post that it's an iPhone, but it's not known which iPhone it is nor which version of iOS it's running. It's also not known if Touch ID was indeed enabled on the phone at this point.

As we learned with the San Bernardino case, Apple will not provide authorities with the tools to unlock the iPhone, but the company can and will provide iCloud data if compelled by court order. It is not known if Apple has already received a court order asking for iCloud information.

Update: Apple has provided a statement on the situation with the smartphone owned by the Texas shooter.
We were shocked and saddened by the violence in Texas last Sunday, and we join the world in grieving for the families and the community that lost so many loved ones.

Our team immediately reached out to the FBI after learning from their press conference on Tuesday that investigators were trying to access a mobile phone. We offered assistance and said we would expedite our response to any legal process they send us.

We work with law enforcement every day. We offer training to thousands of agents so they understand our devices and how they can quickly request information from Apple.
Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: FBI Didn't Ask Apple for Help Unlocking Texas Shooter's iPhone in First 48 Hours [Updated]

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
After last time I can see why. Apple is not willing to do anything out of the ordinary to unlock these devices and I agree with that stance to be honest.

Also the guy is dead and the motive is pretty much that he had a grudge with a family member and acted alone so I doubt there's much of any evidence on the phone leading to a larger conspiracy.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
All they had to do was have someone grab the dead guys finger and use it to unlock the phone. Or does touch and face ID not work if the finger and/or face is dead?

Reactions: DogHouseDub

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
All they had to do was have someone grab the dead guys finger and use it to unlock the phone. Or does touch and face ID not work if the finger and/or face is dead?

Yeah it detects heat. Otherwise the sensor doesn’t activate. They could have warmed up his thumb with a heat gun or hair dryer and tried it.

Reactions: centauratlas

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008

You realize if the phone is rebooted you can't use your finger to unlock it right? I doubt that hick had an iPhone X btw...could you see a guy like that waiting in line with all the hipsters and part time baristas at his local Apple store? I guarantee you this shooting would have happened at the mall rather than the church if this was the case.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
“Man, we could’ve brought the phone to his body for easy access. We missed our mark... It’s Apple’s fault!”

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Face ID probably won't because you have to actively look at the phone, but touch ID might, although one can make the reasonable argument that it should be setup to where this can't be done.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
And somehow it'll still be Apple's fault, as usual :rolleyes:
No it's the freaking shooters fault. It's the military and their lack of competence to ensure this guy couldn't buy them legally. Sure, he might have still bought guns illegally. He might have still found a way. However, we will never know now, will we?

The lives he took couldn't be saved by looking through his phone. We can't undo the loss he rained upon my friend and her daughters. It won't change a damn thing now.

We know his motive, we know he bought guns legally for some asinine reason, and we know that we need to look into the reason why our gun laws failed here.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
No it's the freaking shooters fault. It's the military and their lack of competence to ensure this guy couldn't buy them legally. Sure, he might have still bought guns illegally. He might have still found a way. However, we will never know now, will we?

The lives he took couldn't be saved by looking through his phone. We can't undo the loss he rained upon my friend and her daughters. It won't change a damn thing now.

We know his motive, we know he bought guns legally for some asinine reason, and we know that we need to look into the reason why our gun laws failed here.
The law didn't fail, the Air Force failed.
Had they provided the data after his conviction, the NICS system would have denied the sale.

Even the NRA is backing the "Fix NICS" bill that's been sitting in Congress for years now.
The bill adds additional reporting requirements to the NICS system by courts and law enforcement agencies.
The mental health issues still have HIPPA laws preventing some data from hitting the NICS system. That's going to be a tougher fight to get that data added.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
The law didn't fail, the Air Force failed.
Had they provided the data after his conviction, the NICS system would have denied the sale.

Even the NRA is backing the "Fix NICS" bill that's been sitting in Congress for years now.
The bill adds additional reporting requirements to the NICS system by courts and law enforcement agencies.
The mental health issues still have HIPPA laws preventing some data from hitting the NICS system. That's going to be a tougher fight to get that data added.

You're right. The Airforce should be paying for every funeral right now. They should be combing over every single person they discharged who has crime history like this guy.

I've got a mental illness and I don't care who disagrees but no one with one should be anywhere near a gun.

That's how I've felt all along. Even before I lost my friend and her daughters to this senseless tragedy.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
The NRA can be crazy, but it does mean well at times. Unfortunately, even with NRA influence, the influence from arms manufacturers in the US line the pockets of congress far more than the NRA. And this is where I get off the train because I have very conflicting views on regulations and profiteering.

Reactions: vmistery and fairuz

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
You realize if the phone is rebooted you can't use your finger to unlock it right? I doubt that hick had an iPhone X btw...could you see a guy like that waiting in line with all the hipsters and part time baristas at his local Apple store? I guarantee you this shooting would have happened at the mall rather than the church if this was the case.

Quit being so elitist. Dude lived in a pretty big house with pool, ...

Reactions: vmistery and fairuz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.