Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today submitted revised blueprints for its planned Federation Square retail store location in Melbourne, Australia, according to the Federation Square website.

Apple first announced the new flagship store in December, set to be built at Federation Square, a shopping center, public square, and mixed-used space in the heart of Melbourne.

newfederationsquaredesign.jpg
The new Federation Square design​

The construction of the new store calls for the demolition of the well-known Yarra building, which has infuriated Melbourne residents and led to major protests suggesting the public space should not be given over to a corporation.

Melbourne's City Council in February backed a motion to lobby for a new store design due to both the backlash and the dissatisfaction with Apple's planned store design, which has been described as a "Pizza Hut pagoda."

federationsquarenewdesign2.jpg
Another angle of the new store design​

The new design plan, created following a series of design workshops that included Federation Square Management, the Victorian Government, the Melbourne City Council, and Apple, features a building with a simpler, more streamlined look that better fits in with the Federation Square aesthetic.

Apple-Federation-Square-Australia-800x240.jpg
The original Federation Square design proposed by Apple​

The pagoda-style roof has been abandoned in favor of a flatter design that will house solar panels. The design offers 500 square meters of new public space, more outdoor shading, a better connection to the Yarra river, and plans for cultural events.

Apple's revamped design is part of a "broader reimagining" of Federation Square, which includes the new Digital Facade on the Transport Building and the new Melbourne Metro Train Station entrance.

According to Federation Square CEO Jonathan Tribe, the new store design is "consistent with Federations Square's Civic and Cultural Charter, which recognises Melbourne's pre-eminence as a centre for creativity and innovation." The Federation Square leadership expects the Apple Store to boost visitor numbers, bringing an additional two million people to Federation Square each year.

Current plans continue to call for the destruction of the Yarra building, so it's not clear if Melbourne residents will be satisfied with Apple's planned changes. At the very least, the new design is less intrusive, which could win acceptance from protestors.

Article Link: Apple Revises Plans for Contentious Federation Square Store in Australia

Last edited:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I pulled our firm out of commercial a decade ago. I don't even know why anyone tries to build anything. Considering the process, and the opinioneering of every heehaw with a bored brain cell, it's unthinkable that civilization ever amounted to anything more than a collection of yurts on the steppe.

That said, it does look quite a lot like the Pizza Hut logo.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
I assume the photograph is an architet's rendering of said plaza. That being the case, it looks like a serious case of Air Conditioning Ducts about to wage war against the Victorian-styled buildings across the street.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
I pulled our firm out of commercial a decade ago. I don't even know why anyone tries to build anything. Considering the process, and the opinioneering of every heehaw with a bored brain cell, it's unthinkable that civilization ever amounted to anything more than a collection of yurts on the steppe.

That said, it does look quite a lot like the Pizza Hut logo.

The same people who for example love old Paris, don't seem to understand that they literally had to tear down the slums back in the days, with similar complaints, to build Paris.

That being said, the new design is much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

thequietaussie

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
Apple first announced the new flagship store in December, set to be built at Federation Square, a shopping center, public square, and mixed-used space in the heart of Melbourne.

As a Melbourne local, I don't think anyone here would call Fed Square a shopping centre. It's all art galleries, open space and food options.

At the very least, the new design is less intrusive, which could win acceptance from protestors.

I doubt it. The central complaint I've seen is that it would be inappropriate to use space such as this for a retail store. A complaint I somewhat agree with. That said, I... don't really care either way.

That said, I am glad that Apple have at least changed the design to better fit in with the surrounding buildings in the square, instead of the modernised Pizza Hut look.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
The Pizza Hut Pagoda is abominable. Seriously Apple? You approved that?

As an ex-Melbourne resident in my view Fed Square is under-utilised and a wasted opportunity. It was never a harmonious design that respected the geography, river or city. Despite this, it's kind of endeared itself to locals because of its ugliness in a weird sort of way. I still think they should demolish the whole lot though.

Last edited:

thequietaussie

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
So THIS is the Yarra Building that everybody in Melbourne wants to save?

It's not about saving the building, it's about whether or not it's appropriate for Apple to be putting a retail store in a public square.

BTW, I LIKE the original Apple Store design - doesn't look like any Pizza Hut I'VE ever seen!

pizza-hut-saginaw.jpg

You don't see any resemblance?

Glavin

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
I prefer the new design. Now all Apple has to do is build it in a plaza that doesn't already look like hell.

Reactions: -BigMac-

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
^ Melbourne citizen.

This whole story hasnt surprised me from day one. Melbourne is reallly careful about change. Having been awarded most livable city in the world like 6 years in a row - its really careful about its image.

I dont particularly like the Federation Square and didnt have a problem with the original Apple store design there. But its really nice to see Apple rise above all the BS and work with the council to make it happen.

Really excited about this one!!

Last edited:

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
This is a far better design and will suit the location more. I couldn’t stand the old one and wondered why they did it - probably to take some attention away from the location they were building it, and now are able to say ‘look we have improved it massively, so what’s the problem’. All fun and games I think.

I am not a huge fan of fed square [over designed and to try hard] and think the Apple store will improve it with more communal space ;)

Really though I understand the reason why people have protested as it is a supposedly a public space and is not in the retail precinct. Good for me though - I will be able to get to the new Apple store in 5 minutes on the tram.
[doublepost=1532034872][/doublepost]
< Melbourne citizen.

This whole story hasnt surprised me from day one. Melbourne is reallly is careful about change. Having been awarded most livable city in the world like 6 years in a row - its really careful about its image.

I dont particularly like the Federation Square and didnt have a problem with the original Apple store design there. But its really nice to see Apple rise above all the BS and work with the council to make it happen.

Really excited about this one!!

Haha - most liveable city for expats mate. Doesn’t even allow for housing costs for example.
In all the other ‘liveable’ city reports it gets lower down the list for a good reason. A lot of building built recently are total crap and the place is getting over populated in the city itself due to intensification, with massive increases in traffic etc.

Edit - should have said most liveable city survey for business sending employees here for short terms not expats....

However not knocking Melbourne as I love it, but you need to be real. This was only contentious because of the location, where people feel there should not be retail.

Last edited:

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
This is a far better design and will suit the location more. I couldn’t stand the old one and wondered why they did it - probably to take some attention away from the location they were building it, and now are able to say ‘look we have improved it massively, so what’s the problem’. All fun and games I think.

I am not a huge fan of fed square [over designed and to try hard] and think the Apple store will improve it with more communal space ;)

Really though I understand the reason why people have protested as it is a supposedly a public space and is not in the retail precinct. Good for me though - I will be able to get to the new Apple store in 5 minutes on the tram.
[doublepost=1532034872][/doublepost]

Haha - most liveable city for expats mate. Doesn’t even allow for housing costs for example.
In all the other ‘liveable’ city reports it gets lower down the list for a good reason. A lot of building built recently are total crap and the place is getting over populated in the city itself due to intensification, with massive increases in traffic etc.

However not knocking Melbourne as I love it, but you need to be real. This was only contentious because of the location, where people feel there should not be retail.
I wasnt taking into account my personal opinion on the subject of most livable. I agree with you - I have no clue how Melbourne and Sydney are even in the top 10. I’ve travelled half the world and can count atleast 20 cities I think would be better suited. Was just referencing the study :)

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I wasnt taking into account my personal opinion on the subject of most livable. I agree with you - I have no clue how Melbourne and Sydney are even in the top 10. I’ve travelled half the world and can count atleast 20 cities I think would be better suited. Was just referencing the study :)

It’s the media that keeps telling the people this, but it isn’t true how you have seen yourself.

To be honest though my life here is very good and I can’t complain but as usual depends on a reasonable income to provide it.

Can’t wait for a CBD Apple store though :)

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
So THIS is the Yarra Building that everybody in Melbourne wants to save? View attachment 771579
Please, SOMEBODY tell me I'm wrong.
You’re not wrong. Fed Square is a public space where people sit to have lunch, plus it’s setup for outdoor film festivals and stuff.

It was built recently (2002) and there were hundreds of design proposals. Believe it or not that one won.

Yarra Building is one of several buildings surrounding the square that all have a similar exterior design. They’re mostly art galleries/etc.

Apple’s building will be a lot smaller than the one it replaces. They’re proposing to replace half the building with a grass park facing the river, which sounds a whole lot nicer than what it is now - pavement surrounded on all sides by tall buildings.

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
NO APPLE STORE in Federation Square. Apple doesn't deserve to have a store there. If Steve Jobs still around maybe. There is so vision for the current leadership team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.