Apple Files FCC Application to Test Next-Generation 5G Wireless Technology

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple is planning to test next-generation 5G wireless technologies, according to an application document filed with the FCC and discovered by Business Insider.

Apple applied for an experimental license to test wireless technology on millimeter wave spectrum bands. Millimeter wave bands provide higher bandwidth and throughput up to 10Gb/s, but are limited by line of sight issues that cause problems in dense urban areas.
    Apple will test the technology in two locations in Milpitas and Cupertino over a period of time that is not expected to exceed 12 months, using equipment sourced from Rohde and Schwarz, A.H. Systems, and Analog Devices. Apple will use the 28 and 39 GHz bands, which were among those opened up by the FCC last year for the purpose of next-generation 5G broadband.

It's not entirely clear why Apple is planning to test millimeter wave performance or the purpose behind the testing. Cellular carriers like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile are currently testing 5G networks in preparation to deploy the next-generation technology in the coming years.

Apple could perhaps be preparing its future iPhones to take advantage of 5G technology, or the company may have some other purpose in mind. As Business Insider points out, the 28GHz band in particular could be of interest as it has been earmarked for earth-to-space transmissions, an area Apple has been exploring based on recent hires with satellite expertise.

Article Link: Apple Files FCC Application to Test Next-Generation 5G Wireless Technology

2. Zarniwoop, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017

Zarniwoop macrumors 65816

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Hope it doesn't take as long as LTE did in the iPhone 5.

4. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

5. djbuddha macrumors 6502

djbuddha

I'm in Canada where our highest LTE plans are close to 10 GB with text and calling which is around $90 if you argue for hours and threaten to leave the carrier in question. I hope 5G takes off in the US... it could help us in the end. We'd kill our 6 GB plans in seconds with 5G as we don't have unlimited options on the larger carriers.

Meanwhile in Toronto, internet uses you :mad:

6. Zarniwoop macrumors 65816

Apple could put mini 5G cell tower inside the homeDepotStationWhateverTM, and rent it to the operator.

7. lkrupp macrumors 6502a

It’s beginning to look like DSL, cable modems, and even fiber optics to the home are circling the drain. It will be much cheaper for service providers to build a tower and put an antenna on your home than to run copper, coax, or fiber to your house. Virtually no infrastructure maintenance and very high speed. Let’s hope the engineering hurdles get overcome quickly. The vast majority of homes will do just fine with a 1gigabit wireless connection.

8. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Keep in mind that with all bandwidths being equal, any frequency has the same speed/capacity.

5G will be powered with 200 MHz carriers (bandwidth) and massive MIMO technologies. Millimeter wave frequencies are the extremely high capacity parts of the equation. This means that all frequencies will be used for 5G.

9. Rtiid22 macrumors newbie

Hopefully now we'll be throttled to 3G vs the none useable 2g!​

10. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

They did it at the right time. The first let phone was the thunderbolt on Verizon and battery was so battery. Apple waited and got it right.

11. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

12. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

It's weird how we've gone from having rumors about maybe Apple competing with Elon Musk's Tesla to maybe Apple competing with Elon Musk's SpaceX... or perhaps being a customer of SpaceX.

For those unaware, SpaceX's main plan for making money is to make a satellite internet service. They plan for it to be much more lucrative then simply launching rockets.

13. 0007776 Suspended

By the time carriers get to that you'll probably be thinking 3G is unusable.

14. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

15. Attirex macrumors 6502a

Attirex

"Apple should focus on upgrading MACS (sic) instead..." reply in 3...2....1......

16. MrGuder macrumors 68030

Let's see, Apple should have this implemented across devices by what 2025?

17. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I really do not like this 1,2,3,4 and now 5 "G" term. It is nothing more than marketing wank.

18. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

That's not true at all.

1. The cost of building an entire network from almost the ground up would be huge. You're talking about billions of dollars to build something like this.
    2. It takes anywhere from 2 months to 2 years to get approval for a permit to build a wireless tower. While you may be able to get approval quickly in the middle of nowhere in Texas, it's currently around 2 years for approval in areas like San Francisco or NYC. It would be a LONG time before they could create a decent network.
    3. You're ignoring data caps. Right now the average home uses 190GB per month and that number is only rising as video becomes more and more popular. Which carrier is going to be cool with streaming truly unlimited data with no speed caps?
    4. Why would an existing provider who is currently making money and has existing infrastructure want to make this huge left turn and go a completely different direction? There's no need. At home, you don't need wireless. You aren't going anywhere.
    5. Wireless isn't a great solution for homes. Many currently struggle with signal issues and other problems due to the location of their home. Traditional cable modem, fiber, and DSL solve this issue by bringing reliable service into the home.
    Sorry, but it'll be a very long time before we see these technologies replaced by wireless.

19. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

apple should just be a carrier so we can stop dealing with AT&T's/Verizon's BS. one plan that works worldwide would be AMAZING

20. HelpfulGuy macrumors member

HelpfulGuy

Will they also release a special tin-foil iPhone to protect our brains from the radiation?

21. predation macrumors 65816

I'm thrsty for some 1gig action.

22. Brian Clifford macrumors regular

Brian Clifford

23. entropys macrumors 6502a

entropys

But the carriers wouldn't be building a network from the ground up. They already have fibre backhaul. They already have towers, they already have a customer base. they might be making money now, but they want to also make money in the future. That requires supporting customers who happen to be increasingly mobile, and minimised infrastructure costs, including R&M. As for data caps, which would ramp up capacity more quickly, building up capacity on a tower, or laying new cables?

A line will always be faster. Wireless however, is mobile, more easily updated, replaced more quickly, and [eventually] will lower costs both for the provider and the the customer. You might not be going anywhere, but Wireless customers certainly are.

I am on 100 Mbps cable at home, but on my 4GX network I have got over 180 Mbps on my iPhone. I saw the future when I ran speedtest that day.

24. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

If your data use habits don't change, then you wouldn't have to worry about going through your 6GB plans too quickly.

I agree with you about the carriers takin advantage though. Even at a discount, I feel like my families cellular plan is way too much money for what we get.

I am not so sure about that, at least in the US.

Two big reasons why this wouldn't happen. One being that is these speeds are theoretical. Majority of users don't even come close to the fastest theoretical LTE speeds. In the US, average LTE speeds are a tiny fraction to the maximum theoretical.

Another reason being the current data caps that wireless carriers currently have would be way too low for even a light internet user at home.

Also, what this poster said:

25. JPLC macrumors 6502