Apple files for universal iPhone instant messaging patent

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aznkid25, Apr 21, 2008.

1. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Good news I suppose with one exception. Software patents suck.

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

This could help those who wanted a better predictive system for typing - this could apply to emails, IM ,and SMS. At least it's a software patent - so it's possible it'll bear fruit faster than the hardware patents (Apple eye goggles ftw anyone?).

3. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I still think it should be a "swipe left and right" to flip through conversations and when you receive a new message from one of the people, the little dot along the bottom (the ones that show how many of something there are eg. safari tabs or weather cities) starts flashing in a nice elegant, apple kind of way.

4. zmit macrumors regular

that would be a great idea. similar to the safari 'window' sort of view.

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

They need to move that send button... I've hit it too many times when I've tried to press O or P.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Heres the other part. Seems like they better get a move on if its comin out at the end of june. But im sure it doesnt take them that long. Looks interesting.

Attached Files:

7. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Wonder why this isn't posted as news. Seems pretty big to me that Apple is working on IM for iPhone. Isn't this the first real proof of that since Apple has been quiet about iChat on iPhone?

8. Anthony8720 macrumors regular

Why hasn't anyone commented on the fact that the microphone is on the bottom and the speaker is on the top? Perhaps a redesign?

Edit: I also want to say that I realize the "earpiece" is on the top, it's just strange to not refer to it as an earpiece....

9. mark34 macrumors 6502a

It's a patent, not a design for a commercial product. Perhaps it is well aligned with a future release, perhaps not. The important part comes from the claims, not the drawings.

It was published in March, but the patent was filed last august.

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's called CYA... and now that the patent is published, Apple can go lawsuit happy on anyone making an IM application for the iPhone that uses the standard iPhone UI.

Say goodbye to MobileChat.