Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just weeks away from its annual September event, Apple has filed several unreleased iPhone, Apple Watch, and Mac model numbers with the Eurasian Economic Commission today, according to filings uncovered by MacRumors.

apple-watch-trio-2019.jpg

There appears to be over a dozen new iPhone models listed as running iOS 13, including A2111, A2160, A2161, A2215, A2216, A2217, A2218, A2219, A2220, A2221, A2223, A2296, and A2298, as well as four new Apple Watch models listed as running watchOS 6, including A2156, A2157, A2092, and A2093.

All of those iPhone models except A2296 and A2298 were previously filed in May as running iOS 12, and have now been updated to reflect that they are running iOS 13, while the Apple Watch listings have never been seen before.

As for the Mac, 11 model numbers have been filed, but all of them have either been released or were already filed in June as running macOS Mojave and have merely been updated to reflect macOS Catalina. At least one of these models could certainly be the 16-inch MacBook Pro rumored to launch this fall.

eec-aug-2019.jpg

The filings do not reveal specific product names, so we cannot confirm details like whether the Apple Watch models are considered Apple Watch Series 5 models, but new models of some kind are evidently coming. Leaked assets from watchOS 6 recently revealed upcoming titanium and ceramic Apple Watch finishes.

The new iPhone and Apple Watch models will very likely be unveiled in September, while the new Macs will likely arrive in October or later.

There are also some already-released products on the list that have been filed as running Apple's latest operating systems, including various older iPhone, iPod touch, Apple Watch, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models.

Eurasian Economic Commission filings like these have foreshadowed the release of new Apple products on numerous occasions, including multiple iPad, iPad Pro, iPhone, Mac, Apple Watch, and AirPods models. The filings are legally required for any encrypted devices sold in Russia and select other countries.

Article Link: Apple Files Several Unreleased Apple Watch and iPhone Models in Eurasian Database

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I may have just not been paying attention but I've seen almost nothing when it comes to leaks for the new watches. I'm curious what new stuff we can expect.

Reactions: LiveM

jonen

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
I may have just not been paying attention but I've seen almost nothing when it comes to leaks for the new watches. I'm curious what new stuff we can expect.
I've been keeping up almost daily for the past couple weeks and there are almost no rumors/leaks out so far. Most action has been in the last 2-3 days.

jonen

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
Ugh, shoot, doesn't this point to no new series 5 watch? Just 2 new series 4 models? A ceramic in 2 sizes and a titanium in 2 sizes? That'll be awful :(
That was exactly my thought. In which case I will not upgrade from my Series 2 yet.

Some Wikipedia research to share for my own benefit below. I'm not seeing a noticeable trend in their model numbers... but I'm hoping someone else has better insight here.

Series 3: A1859 (42mm GPS) A1861, A1891, A1892 (42mm GPS + Cellular)
Series 4: A1978 (44mm GPS) A1976, A2008 (44mm GPS + Cellular)
Series 5(?): A2156, A2157, A2092, and A2093

Edit: At the very least, my prediction would be a revised Series 4 (A2092/2093) and a new Series 5 (A2156/2157). That seems to be in line with the model # jump, although it does not account for the 40mm model...

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Ugh, shoot, doesn't this point to no new series 5 watch? Just 2 new series 4 models? A ceramic in 2 sizes and a titanium in 2 sizes? That'll be awful :(
I think that's what is going to happen.

What exactly do you want in Series 5? The 4 was a huge upgrade and outside of battery life (Apple seems fine with 18 hours) and always on display (I've finally stopped caring about this).

Looks like Series 4 till 2020 with new case options and bands of course. I'm more excited to find out the pricing for the Ceramic and Titanium versions.

Reactions: Ravi_MR

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
The new watch will make a constant tick tock sound. No-one knows why but legend has it this is a reference to something ancient time pieces used to do.

I wish it would be true./s

Have any one in your family ever owned a tall-case clock (aka. "grandfather" clock)?
My family did, a German Gustav Becker, last-century, Arts&Crafts tall-case clock.

The tick-tock I heard on a quiet evening was always soothing. And its quarter- and hourly-chimes are now missed as well. This is something we have lost in the digital age.

[The saying is that the cadence of the tick-tock replicates the mother's heart to the unborn.]

Reactions: Moi Ici and LiveM

jonen

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
I think that's what is going to happen.

What exactly do you want in Series 5? The 4 was a huge upgrade and outside of battery life (Apple seems fine with 18 hours) and always on display (I've finally stopped caring about this).

Looks like Series 4 till 2020 with new case options and bands of course. I'm more excited to find out the pricing for the Ceramic and Titanium versions.

Do you think they would call it a Series 4S or something similar? I just don't see this happening since it breaks the trend (albeit the "Series" trend came out of nowhere too). I'm honestly 99% set on upgrading from my Series 2 regardless of features, just to ensure I have the higher resale value of the new "5" vs. the 4.

I'll take any additional health features, any minimal increase in battery life, and faster CPU performance.

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
hmmmm so maybe at most a spec bump for series 4 and the two new casing to be the selling point?

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Would it though? I personally don't see any hardware area where the S4 critically needs an update. Yes, a larger battery would be nice, but the S4 SoC seems to have all the power it needs for the moment and the new screen sizes seem to be generally well-received.

Jason Snell just posted an opinion piece on Macworld noting he feels Apple does not need to release a Series 5 watch next month and I am in agreement with him.

I certainly am not in the market to replace my Series 4 and I would not be surprised if most felt the same. I understand those on an earlier Series who skipped S4 would prefer to go to an S5 rather than get an S4 now and have "lost" a year should a fundamentally better S5 come out in Late 2020 (which I kind of don't see happening - I see the S5 being a refinement of the S4 as the S3 was to the S2).

Offering a ceramic Watch Edition S4 would offer an upgrade path for those with S2 or S3 Watch Editions who are now multiple years on their current watch, so that makes sense. And titanium might appeal to those on earlier Series who would like something more durable than aluminum, but do not like the weight of stainless steel.

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
Some Wikipedia research to share for my own benefit below. I'm not seeing a noticeable trend in their model numbers... but I'm hoping someone else has better insight here.

Series 3: A1859 (42mm GPS) A1861, A1891, A1892 (42mm GPS + Cellular)
Series 4: A1978 (44mm GPS) A1976, A2008 (44mm GPS + Cellular)
Series 5(?): A2156, A2157, A2092, and A2093

Edit: At the very least, my prediction would be a revised Series 4 (A2092/2093) and a new Series 5 (A2156/2157). That seems to be in line with the model # jump, although it does not account for the 40mm model...

Interesting. My assumption was that the model number also took in to consideration the material, but looking at previous model numbers it does not. There are no different model numbers for Aluminum vs Stainless steal for previous models. The model numbers at least recently depicted Cellular vs Not and region. Assuming the same this year I would expect the 4 new models to simply be

Series 5:-

A2156 40mm North America
A2157 44mm North America
A2092 40mm Europe, Asia, Pacfici, China
A2093 44mm Europe, Asia, Pacfici, China

All 4 of these models will presumably be available in Aluminum, Stainless steel and now Ceramic and Titanium. I also assume this year every watch will come with Cellular/GPS.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
That was exactly my thought. In which case I will not upgrade from my Series 2 yet.

Wait, so you have an old Series 2 and you're not going to upgrade because there might not be a Series 5? Is the Series 4 not a massive enough upgrade for you?

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
What is the Series 4 lacking that you wouldn't upgrade to it? It is such a leap over Series 3. They've been $50 off several times lately. I'd take a Series 4 with that discount vs paying full price for Series 5.

Tiltasauras

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2015
Baltimore
Would it though? I personally don't see any hardware area where the S4 critically needs an update. Yes, a larger battery would be nice, but the S4 SoC seems to have all the power it needs for the moment and the new screen sizes seem to be generally well-received.

Jason Snell just posted an opinion piece on Macworld noting he feels Apple does not need to release a Series 5 watch next month and I am in agreement with him.

I certainly am not in the market to replace my Series 4 and I would not be surprised if most felt the same. I understand those on an earlier Series who skipped S4 would prefer to go to an S5 rather than get an S4 now and have "lost" a year should a fundamentally better S5 come out in Late 2020 (which I kind of don't see happening - I see the S5 being a refinement of the S4 as the S3 was to the S2).

Offering a ceramic Watch Edition S4 would offer an upgrade path for those with S2 or S3 Watch Editions who are now multiple years on their current watch, so that makes sense. And titanium might appeal to those on earlier Series who would like something more durable than aluminum, but do not like the weight of stainless steel.

Well, I'm a technology fan, so yes, I want to see a series 5 with some upgrades. Faster charging? Faster processor? Longer battery? Rep count for certain exercises? You name it. I'm using the developer beta for WatchOS 6. It's nice, but would be lame if that's all they unveil in three weeks (with some new materials). I'd really like to see native sleep tracking.
Apple has a massive lead in the wearable space. I'd like to see them keep it.

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
big of true
[doublepost=1566402595][/doublepost]
The new watch will make a constant tick tock sound. No-one knows why but legend has it this is a reference to something ancient time pieces used to do.
how about showing the time always? Like an always on display, or something... :)

Tiltasauras

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2015
Baltimore
Interesting. My assumption was that the model number also took in to consideration the material, but looking at previous model numbers it does not. There are no different model numbers for Aluminum vs Stainless steal for previous models. The model numbers at least recently depicted Cellular vs Not and region. Assuming the same this year I would expect the 4 new models to simply be

Series 5:-

A2156 40mm North America
A2157 44mm North America
A2092 40mm Europe, Asia, Pacfici, China
A2093 44mm Europe, Asia, Pacfici, China

All 4 of these models will presumably be available in Aluminum, Stainless steel and now Ceramic and Titanium. I also assume this year every watch will come with Cellular/GPS.

Looking at the wikipedia page, recent series (3 & 4) include model numbers for each size and material. So likely the four that just got revealed are 40mm & 44mm titanium (cellular + GPS), and 40mm & 44mm ceramic (cellular + GPS). It's possible that Apple could release a series 5 ONLY in these materials, and then lower the price points of the series 4?

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
Looking at the wikipedia page, recent series (3 & 4) include model numbers for each size and material. So likely the four that just got revealed are 40mm & 44mm titanium (cellular + GPS), and 40mm & 44mm ceramic (cellular + GPS). It's possible that Apple could release a series 5 ONLY in these materials, and then lower the price points of the series 4?

Not true the same model numbers were used for Aluminum and Stainless Steel for Series 4.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204507#series4

40mm case (Model: A1975 North America, A2007 Europe, Asia Pacific, and China mainland)
44mm case (Model: A1976 North America, A2008 Europe, Asia Pacific, and China mainland)

They only differed between GPS and GPS + Cellular.

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
Since they have not refreshed Macbook on stage this year, I still hope they will refresh the Macbook Pro next month (hopefully the non-TB versions). I want to upgrade my Macbook Air 2013 (to pro) so bad.

If the watches has significant upgrades, I might consider buying (my first) one as well.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It's possible that Apple could release a series 5 ONLY in these materials, and then lower the price points of the series 4?

IMO, not a chance. The vast majority of Apple Watches sold have to be aluminum (for the lower price point, if nothing else) so releasing a new Series that was not available in the most popular material would just not happen.

IMO, we will see the announcement of the Series 4 Watch Edition in Titanium and Ceramic next month. Same hardware, just a different case material. All the upgrades to functionality will be via WatchOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.