Apple Files Trademark Application for Apple Pay Cash Peer-to-Peer Payments Service in European Union

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has filed a trademark application in the European Union for Apple Pay Cash, the company's new iMessage-based peer-to-peer payments service coming with iOS 11.

Unearthed by tech blog LetsGoDigital, the application was filed with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) on Thursday and is classified as "computer software for use in connection with electronic payment and funds transfers".

[​IMG]

By integrating with iMessage in iOS 11, Apple Pay Cash will enable users to make person to person payments right from within chat threads. To send a cash payment, the user authenticates it with Touch ID (or perhaps via facial authentication on the upcoming "iPhone 8") on their iOS device or Apple Watch.

Money received using the service goes on to an auto-generated virtual Apple Pay cash card, similar to a gift card, that gets stored in the Wallet app. The cash card can then be used to make regular Apple Pay purchases at retail stores and on the web. Alternatively, users will be able to transfer the money to an allocated bank account.

[​IMG]

Apple has yet to offer further details on how Apple Pay Cash will work, but Brazilian tech blog iHelp BR has uncovered code references in the Apple Pay framework that suggest users will need to authenticate the service with a driver's license or Photo ID before they can send any money through iMessage. This may be done by holding the ID in front of the camera, similar to when adding a bank card to Apple Pay.

While yesterday's trademark application has yet to be granted by the EUIPO, the fact that it has been filed already may mean Apple Pay Cash will go live across EU countries soon after the initial U.S.-only rollout.

Hopefully we'll know more on September 12, when Apple is expected to launch iOS 11 in tandem with new iPhones, new Apple Watches, and possibly a new 4K Apple TV at its fall event, set to take place at the Steve Jobs Theater in Apple Park.

Article Link: Apple Files Trademark Application for Apple Pay Cash Peer-to-Peer Payments Service in European Union

2. recoil80 macrumors 68020

That would be great, I hope it will make it to EU soon.
    I'm using Apple pay with a service called Boon since my bank doesn't support it, and there is a limit of €250 per month if I don't provide documents. If I do, the limits are higher, but still in place.
    I guess there is some law that prevents services like Apple pay to allow the transfer of a lot of money that way, since it would be difficult to track. Maybe Apple will ask for ID in order to avoid the lower limit

3. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Excellent so you can blackmail someone instantly.
    Pay me money NOW or this photo is getting uploaded :)

4. latts macrumors regular

latts

Be interesting to see how this works cross-currencies

5. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

You still have to set it up, so unless you want to upload the photos more than get your money this doesn't really speed things up necessarily more than just asking to get it via Paypal or instant cash transfer.

Glassed Silver:ios

6. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Where and How will Apple apply its customary 30% commission? /s

7. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

How about bringing ApplePay to Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium etc. first?

8. Erkalanger macrumors newbie

If the transfer don't go directly to the credit card account I'm not interested. We already have services for that here in Sweden (Swish). Having the money on some Apple Pay cash card makes no sense to me.

9. lionsy macrumors 6502

The only reason they wouldn’t have done it already is if the banks aren’t playing ball, or the infrastructure isn’t in place. There’s a reason it was available in the UK first, (after the home country) all the terminals had already been contactless for years and all the banks supported it.

If you want change, go to your bank and tell them you want it!

The article says you can withdraw it too

10. shaunymac macrumors 6502

I like the idea. I just want to know the details...what % are they taking per transaction?

Too early for me to form a concrete opinion but it sounds like a nice option.

11. swm macrumors regular

this is mostly the case in all central european countries, still Ukraine gets it before us. contactless payment is available like everywhere in HU since 2013

12. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

From the video example on apple.com, it seems like you’ll be able to type the dollar amount in an imessage like you can in Snapchat and that turns into a data point you can tap which brings up the Apple Pay Cash menu in the chat

13. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

14. nfilg macrumors member

nfilg

Introducing apple pay is hard because Banks don't play ball with it!
    They are afraid of losing control and become obsolete or redundant to their customers.

15. sunny2k1, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017

sunny2k1 macrumors 6502

Why different currencies? Within Europe, 19 of 27 countries use the Euro as currency.

One could assume that 95% of the transaction will be in Euro.

AFAIK is Apple to blame here. The banks are technically ready. Contactless Payment is already possible. Based on information I have, Apple tried to „ripp“ off the banks. Problem in the EU is that Credit Card transaction fees are capped. There’s a reason why especially small banks (with some exceptions) only applied for Apple Pay.

16. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Germany is still mostly cash these days so I don't expect ApplePay to get really popular anytime soon even if it was released today.

17. sunny2k1 macrumors 6502

Do you really believe that Apple does not want a share of the 84.32 Billionen Euros in Credit Card Transaction value? Based on things I’m hearing it’s on Apple not on the banks.

18. One Bad Duck macrumors member

One Bad Duck

19. Norwegian_Imposter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

20. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Nice! This will make it easier for my kids to make their phone payments!

21. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

I'm sure they want a share of whatever the amount is, but....

Not everybody has an (current enough) iPhone -> potential slashed by 80% or so
    Not everybody who has one will want to use it that way
    Even those that want to use it won't use it for all transfers

So in the end the realistic revenue might end up being rather small and focusing on other countries with a higher rate of iPhones and higher acceptance for 3rd party payment systems might be a smart move.

I'm not that old and I don't have an issue with electronics, but still I use my EC card for anything but withdrawing money less then once a month and I don't have or feel the need for an CC.

I'm also quite sure that I'm not the freakish outsider here....

edit:

The big banking chains (Volksbank and Sparkasse) are trying to push similar services (like the one in the OP not ApplePay itself) in their apps quite hard atm, but I have yet to hear about or see anybody using them.

22. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Convenience perhaps? This service should be built right into iMessage, so I can transfer money to my friends without leaving the app. It would even work with Siri (presumably), though I am not sure I want to trust something as sensitive as cash transfer to a voice assistant.

23. sunny2k1 macrumors 6502

That’s ok. I understand your point.

For example, the Deutsche Bank has already contactless on Android. Payback offers Payback Pay. Apple is late to that party, basically trying to maximize to profits for less infrastructure costs.

All new Girocard (old EC-Cards) and new credit cards are already contactless.

The problem: the banks do not advertise it. And the staff at shops are not educated. The last time I was in Germany, I bought at a retailer with Apple Pay (Canadian Bank) and they wanted to see the card.

Once Apple Pay is a common Payment method, this will be normal to be Pay with a watch or phone...

24. lionsy macrumors 6502

Like I said in my original post, they also need to play ball, the excitement of contactless card payments had been and gone in the UK long before ApplePay, the banks weren't interested in controlling anything anymore, and most of their customers were using it... it was in their best interests to offer more... er, except Barcleys who seemed content with trying to get people to carry an extra fob on their keyring instead.

Are all the banks in Germany issuing contactless cards as standard? Because a quick search makes it seem like contactless use in Germany isn't that popular, maybe the banks don't see the point in putting the effort into doing a deal with Apple when the use case isn't present.

There's one thing having all of your terminals accept contactless (You're hard pushed to find a supplier who would issue you one that *doesn't* support it these days) and quite another having your customers interested and actively using contactless - some people simply don't trust it over chip and pin.

Ultimately, like everything, it's down to money, if the banks don't think they'll make more money by offering it, they won't.

It's also possible Apple are being arseholes when it comes down to their cut :D