Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IDanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
I recieved my second imac yesterday with the same gradient issue.
This time around the person at apple seemed to have more information than last time though.
First of all he said YES THERE IS A PROBLEM with the 24" screen.
Although he didn´t know how widely spread it was he stated that it´s clearly an issue and didn´t hesitate to send me a new unit.
According to him there are two different suppliers of the panels used in the 24" and one of these suppliers are making bad ones.
He also said he found it really strange that the issue was not fixed yet and insisted to get me a replacement until I got one with a good screen.
I consider this good news and hopefully apple will get this sorted out real soon!

Locker

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
Was this from an Apple Store or a guy who you got through to on the phone? My nearest Apple store is well, not very near, so if my iMac arrives with this problem I'd like to think I could ring up and have the problem recognised and rectified.

Kuska

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
Deep in The Weald, England
I recieved my second imac yesterday with the same gradient issue.
This time around the person at apple seemed to have more information than last time though.
First of all he said YES THERE IS A PROBLEM with the 24" screen.
Although he didn´t know how widely spread it was he stated that it´s clearly an issue and didn´t hesitate to send me a new unit.
According to him there are two different suppliers of the panels used in the 24" and one of these suppliers are making bad ones.
He also said he found it really strange that the issue was not fixed yet and insisted to get me a replacement until I got one with a good screen.
I consider this good news and hopefully apple will get this sorted out real soon!

Well, I know you will have seen my posts last night re iMac no 3 going back - more correspondence over the phone this morning and the lady that I spoke to could not have been any more helpful - fantastic service. Anyhow I got a similar message to the one you have had - a shift from the conversations a week ago and whilst not an exact admission, it was mentioned that Apple are now taking a serious view on these reported issues.:)

Locker

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
Phew, I now have piece of mind. Within my 3 years of warranty (I invested in AppleCare) I'm sure I'll be able to get one decent screen if they have no problems replacing those affected. Lets just hope it's the first one I receive that's A-OK!

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
If this is the case that Apple are now starting to admit there is a problem then it is not only sensational, it´s going to cost them a fortune.

ahmed.hassan

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2007
Will Apple be replacing the LCD's and then reselling the aforementioned iMacs as refurbs or new? If the former, then we're all in for some good deals in the refurbished store. If the latter, are they allowed to do that?

casjohnr

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
I wonder if this includes 20" screens too.

My iMac hasn't been 'built' yet - I assume it will be straight off the factory line as I have a BTO order (Even though this just meant I upgraded the keyboard and mouse)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Will Apple be replacing the LCD's and then reselling the aforementioned iMacs as refurbs or new? If the former, then we're all in for some good deals in the refurbished store. If the latter, are they allowed to do that?

Apple never sells any machine that has been released to a customer previously as a new machine. They may or may not replace LCD's and refurb them (parts machines, though somewhat unlikely), but they won't be sold as new.

jW

Pierce

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
Dallas, TX
So what is the possible fix? I too notice a "banding" or rough transition on gradients. Especially dark gradients.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
If this is the case that Apple are now starting to admit there is a problem then it is not only sensational, it´s going to cost them a fortune.

Actually, since the supplier gave them a bunch of bad LCDs, it should "only" cost two shipping fees and repair time.

Still a huge amount of money anyway, but less than implied.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin

They'll get compensation from the panel manufacturer. Car recalls end up like this all the time.

phillyfilm

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2007
Non-Apple store purchase??

I'm glad to see that some of you are having luck with Apple exchanging the problematic iMacs. My issue is that I bought mine from Amazon, which is an authorized dealer. The problem is that I have to incur a 15% restocking fee because I opened the box, which, of course, is how I know I have a problem iMac...

So has anyone had success returning/exchanging directly with Apple even though you purchased somewhere else? Thanks in advance!

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I'm glad to see that some of you are having luck with Apple exchanging the problematic iMacs. My issue is that I bought mine from Amazon, which is an authorized dealer. The problem is that I have to incur a 15% restocking fee because I opened the box, which, of course, is how I know I have a problem iMac...

So has anyone had success returning/exchanging directly with Apple even though you purchased somewhere else? Thanks in advance!

You should only have to pay that restocking fee if you just want to return the computer without giving any reason. However if there is a fault with your machine then Apple should replace it cost free.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
They'll get compensation from the panel manufacturer. Car recalls end up like this all the time.

Perhaps, but we are talking about the single most expensive component of the machine by a long shot.

No offense, but all hearsay from anonymous phone techs aside I will believe this recall when I see it. Not that I would be sending mine if it does come to pass since I'm not having gradient issues.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
My screen also has the gradient issue but since it's covered for a year, I don't want to send it back just yet because it seems likely that it'll come back with the same problem.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Ugh.. I'm on my third iMac since august, and not looking forward to the prospect of a fourth.

On thursday I got a call from the apple store to pickup a new 24" imac, as they replaced the logic board and couldn't fix my freezing issue. They wanted to replace the graphics card, but none were available, so they gave me a new iMac. (this was maybe an hour before the firmware update came out :))

Anyways, this new iMac I received on thursday HAS a very noticeable gradient issue, and I'm pissed off because the presumably fine (w/firmware update) 24" iMac I gave to them for the freezing issue DID NOT.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
... there are two different suppliers of the panels used in the 24" and one of these suppliers are making bad ones

Perhaps we could test this theory? This post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/4076283/

Says that SwitchResX will report the panel model #. Unfortunately, SwitchResX requires Application Enhancer (APE) which doesn't work under Leopard yet, so I can't try it.

I was under the assumption all 24" iMacs had LG.Philips LM240WU2-SLB1, S-IPS, 8-bit displays.

Leon Kowalski

macrumors 6502a
I was under the assumption all 24" iMacs had LG.Philips LM240WU2-SLB1, S-IPS, 8-bit displays.

The 24" ALU iMacs use LG.Philips LM240WU2-SLB1, S-IPS, 8-bit

The 24" white iMacs use LG.Philips LM240WU2-SLA1, S-IPS, 8-bit

At least, those are the only SwitchResX or 'take-apart' results I've seen posted on the web. However, there's no guarantee that Apple used the same parts in all production runs of either product. (They used both LG.Philips S-IPS and Samsung S-PVA panels in the Late_2006 white 20" iMacs.)

I have no hard information on what the different suffixes mean. It might be nothing more than matte vs. glossy finish on the panel face -- or it might be entirely different lamp/diffuser/inverter components squeezed into a 'thinner' package. Based on the obvious differences in brightness uniformity, I suspect the latter.

LK

ceres

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Dark Forests of Germania
The 24" ALU iMacs use LG.Philips LM240WU2-SLB1, S-IPS, 8-bit

The 24" white iMacs use LG.Philips LM240WU2-SLA1, S-IPS, 8-bit

At least, those are the only SwitchResX or 'take-apart' results I've seen posted on the web. However, there's no guarantee that Apple used the same parts in all production runs of either product. (They used both LG.Philips S-IPS and Samsung S-PVA panels in the Late_2006 white 20" iMacs.)

I have no hard information on what the different suffixes mean. It might be nothing more than matte vs. glossy finish on the panel face -- or it might be entirely different lamp/diffuser/inverter components squeezed into a 'thinner' package. Based on the obvious differences in brightness uniformity, I suspect the latter.

LK

I was quite shocked when I tested my new 24in iMac yesterday. I shelled out 2300 Eur and hence expected the screen to be on par with current hp and dell screens that retail for as low as 400 euro (hp2408) , not eizo or the likes.
When I switched on my mac I was almost cast to the floor. The screen is of shocking quality with very inhomogenous brightness uniformity and color gradient. White turns to yellowish grey from left to right. I have waited an entire month for this machine making its way from Shanhai over to the Netherlands to my home in Germany. Apple Care was a waste of time. They told me to a) swap machines or have the panel replaced at a service point. It´s a custom bto machine so the replacement will probably take 2 weeks or so to arrive. Judging by what´s going on here there is no guarantee whatsoever that I will receive a fairly flawless screen. Question are there reported incidents of immaculate 24in Al screens? This is my first apple machine. BTW, I also got a nano3g with it and the screen is crooked.
I am totally gutted.

Thanks so much,
Vincent

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
My problem is that my custom built iMac 24" 2.8GHZ has been at the Apple store for TWO weeks now, after Tech support asked me to take it there. I rang up the store on Friday, since they promised me it would only be away one to two weeks but probably fixed quicker because it was a new machine. This is causing me all kind of problems since I work from home on the computer. However the guy I spoke to said the problem was at Apple because the technician couldn't carry out the screen replacement without Apple's authority. So I rang up Apple Customer Support to find out what was happening and hear their side. One of Apple's great assets is that they have all their cases logged. Anyway after about an hour and being directed over to tech support, they told me they had no record of my machine waiting for some service from them. They asked me to call the Apple store back to find out the service number. I did, it turned out the first guy I had talked to had just told me what he'd told me to get rid of me.

ANGRY I rang up customer support again, whom I must say on the whole have been very good and understanding. I told them the situation, said I wanted my complaint logged. They are already refunding me 400 Norwegian Kroner for my inconvenience, I told them I didn't want anything else, just my machine. Anyway they must have got in touch with the Apple store because about an hour later I recieved a SMS from the store telling me that they were waiting for a new screen from Apple, and couldn't do anything until then.

What have a learned from all this? Well in retrospect I SHOULD have returned the machine IMMEDIATELY I discovered the screen gradient, backlight bleeding, yellow grey tint etc. (I read a few posts on here about the screen taking some time to burn in. In my case that was complete BS, the screen issues just got WORSE).

Although many lucky people seem to be happy with their new 24" Al iMac screens, which is great. I have looked at a few screens in various stores, some seem fine, but there are problems with some of the others. Also reading the many posts on these forums about this issue, what worries me the most is that Apple STILL seem to be sending out DUFF screens. So I have also learned that I should NOT have purchased this new iMac, instead I should have waited for the next upgrade. Apple do seem to be doing everything they can to fix the bugs, ie the freeze issues etc. I am sure they are desperately working on a fix for these screen issues as well. But in my case as in others it is too late.

I would just like to point out that the amount of money one pays for a new iMac one should expect nothing but the best when it comes to screen quality. If people are finding better quality of lower priced screens from other manufacturers then quite honestly THIS IS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH APPLE.

So giving my situation some thought I feel that I have three options.
1. Wait for the store to fix the screen, hopefully then a technician will have tested it and it will be alright. But I don't know how long this will take.
2. Ring up Apple and demand a new machine.
3. Cut my losses, new programmeware XP, Parellels etc, third party RAM, new printer because old one would not work on Apple machine, and just ask Apple for my money back.

Not quite the Apple experience this switcher expected to experience.
Saying all that, the machine apart from the screen issues, is beautiful. Right now I'm really fumming.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
So giving my situation some thought I feel that I have three options.
1. Wait for the store to fix the screen, hopefully then a technician will have tested it and it will be alright. But I don't know how long this will take.
2. Ring up Apple and demand a new machine.
3. Cut my losses, new programmeware XP, Parellels etc, third party RAM, new printer because old one would not work on Apple machine, and just ask Apple for my money back.

Since you've had some luck talking to Apple, I'd call them and politely demand that they authorize the store to give you a new iMac if yours isn't repaired to your satisfaction within a reasonable time (say, another week or so). Also, I wouldn't walk out of there without verifying that the screen is OK, whether it's on your existing iMac or a new one.

Good luck.

mjagers1982

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
Did anyone (IDanne maybe?) already receive a GOOD screen? I received a iMac 24" last thursday (in the Netherlands) and it's sh*t. I noticed it before I even read anything about this problem, some googles further and I regret the complete iMac... Straight back to Apple, didn't think Apple would disappoint me, but in that perspective they did hell of good job! :( :mad:

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Did anyone (IDanne maybe?) already receive a GOOD screen? I received a iMac 24" last thursday (in the Netherlands) and it's sh*t. I noticed it before I even read anything about this problem, some googles further and I regret the complete iMac... Straight back to Apple, didn't think Apple would disappoint me, but in that perspective they did hell of good job! :( :mad:

Well, you can always check out the Dell XPS One now that you're in the market for a replacement AIO. :eek:

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. Good screens DO exist no matter what you read on Google or in these forums.

mjagers1982

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
Well, you can always check out the Dell XPS One now that you're in the market for a replacement AIO. :eek:

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. Good screens DO exist no matter what you read on Google or in these forums.

So there are good screens without the gradient and yellowish glare? Or there are people with lower expectations who don't see that their screen is not OK ;)... I'm wondering if I just return the iMac and ask for my money or for a new iMac... I only hear stories from people testing their 4th or 5th iMac, so I'm thinking of money back...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.