Apple finance UK question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ScottC2105, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ScottC2105 macrumors member

I was going to wait until next month to get an iMac but this morning my PC died and it needs to be replaced.

My question is, if I were to order an iMac today using Apple Finance when could I expect to receive it?

Has anyone used Apple Finance before? What is the process?

Thank you.

2. Kuska macrumors regular

Kuska

Never used Apple finance but have used www.cwonline.co.uk a couple of times - they offer a buy now pay 6 months later scheme and the company they use for the finance have an online system so you can just print out the agreement and send it back.

Took me 24 hours to get the finance all agreed - so no problems at all.

The biggest problem is that I'm still waiting on the iMac to be shipped by Apple ! Delivery times..............:(

Kuska

3. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I’m not sure about apple finance but if I was you I would go to my local bank and apply for one of there 0% on purchases for 6-9 month credit cards and then pay it off at your leisure with no interest, sure it might take an extra few days for your card to come through the post but once you get it your free to purchase the computer online or even in store

4. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

I noticed the APR on the Apple Finance is pretty high. I may use a credit card instead. How are apple with shipping times? If I order a custom iMac can I expect it by next Friday?

5. sananda macrumors 68020

don't know if you're entitled to the educational discount, but we got an imac about 18 months ago (i think) from the education store with interest free credit over (i think) a year.

6. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Depends, what customization were you looking to make? Also if I’m not mistaken the order page when you make the changes to the system specs also shows expected delivery times, but in my opinion it is doubtful a custom one would ship by next friday

7. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

24" 2.8Ghz iMac with a 1TB hard drive. It says Ready to Ship: 3-5 days.

8. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

i think it would be cutting it close

9. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know what my options are then as the only reseller near me is PC World :(.

10. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Ouch! PC World, think I would rather gamble on the delivery date from Apple then gamble on something from a PC World store,

11. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

It's ether that or goto the Sheffield Apple store. I don't think you can buy custom iMacs in store though can you?

12. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

No I don’t think they do m8ty, have you thought of phoning them to order?

13. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

Phoning Apple or the Apple Store as the Sheffield store is a fair long way from me, a few hours drive.

14. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I’m in the same boat, I would have loved to have bought mine in person but I live almost 3 hours drive from the closest apple store so I had to make do with a phone order, I still cant understand why the Metro Centre in Gateshead doesn’t have an apple store though… isn’t it the biggest retail centre in Europe or at least it use to be?

15. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

Ouch, you ordered then and you won't get it until October 9th? That's bad! Is it because you ordered an iPod touch too?

16. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I would think so, but with all the problems that people have had with the first batch of iPod Touches I’m kind of glad I’ve had to wait, although the wait is starting to kill me now

Just dont order an iPod Touch with your iMac :p

17. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

I have a feeling I will order one and it won't arrive for a long time. I really need to get a new PC/Mac up and running.

18. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I’m loaning a family members Laptop at the moment because I sold my old PC this week (I expected my iMac to have shipped by now you see), I’m now just counting the days until it arrives,

But I think you might be right, once you customise it, then add an extra week on top of the delivery estimate then you might be getting close to the actual delivery date, but that’s a long time to wait if you will need your computer for work, school, college or what ever

19. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

20. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

what really put me of apple financeing is the 23 year old requirement for it, im just turning 21 and i had use a wack of my student loan to buy my macbook and software instead of being able to spread the cost a little.

21. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

I know a standard 2.8Ghz model would probably been here for Thursday/Friday next week but I wouldn't dare change the hard drive myself so I was going to let apple do it.

I may have to email and ask them for an estimated time first, what do you think?

22. cervaro macrumors regular

Would going for the standard model and adding an external firewire 800 drive not be an acceptable option to speed your order up?

23. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

That’s a good point actually, and since it’s a desktop then it not like you need to move it around or anything, might work out cheaper to

24. RichMacca macrumors member

The problem with the finance is that you have to agree to it, wait for the documents to be sent out, sign and return them. Then the credit company tells Apple to go ahead with the order, i think my MB with apple finance took about a week and a half, yours will take 3-5 days longer as i had no customizations.

25. ScottC2105 thread starter macrumors member

My dad has offered to allow me to use his credit card for the purchase so I won't be needing finance :). I have a question regarding external harddrives but I will make another thread for that.

Thank you to everyone that has looked at and replied to my thread, much appreciated.