Apple Firewire cables - a price tag too far?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Not-a-cliche, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

If you've looked at Firewire cables recently, your first thought as a loyal Apple customer was probably "lol! ill check out teh apple firewir e cables!!1"

They probably look sexier than your computer, but the price tag is a little much I feel. I live in the UK, so all prices are in UKish (AKA Pounds) because I'm awesome.

I went to Amazon and typed in 'Apple Firewire cable'. The first result was the "Apple Firewire cable 4 to 6 pin 0.5 Meter", which was exactly the cable I want.

"Splendid!" I thought. "Now I may purchase my goods and be off to frolic in the meadows with my animal friends!"

But as I moved my eyes approximately 7 milimetres downwards, I was shocked to see that the price was £19!

"Jee wiz!" I thought. "Do Firewire cables really cost this much?"

I decided to look around for some other Firewire cables from different companies. I quickly found a much longer 1.8m 4 to 6 pin Firewire cable from Belkin for 1p! It looked ugly from the picture, but it's just a cable, and for £0.01!

Apple need to sort these prices out! I mean, not necessarily 1p, but somewhere around the £3 to £4 point would be nice. Who's going to buy a £20 cable!?

2. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

One word: Sucker... maybe apple will have a revelation, like when they realized how out of line their memory prices were (which, have you noticed, are in need of correction again...)

3. Not-a-cliche thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't know they corrected them in the first place.

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

They dropped the memory upgrade price for bto computers about 8-10 months ago. For a while, their upgrade prices weren't more than $10-20 over market, versus the old $50-100 over. At only $10-20 over market, I'll go with the memory upgrade when I order, every time.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The .01 price is obviously a mistake, or a bundled promo with a drive.
    If you go to a shop, you will see Firewire cables at about $18.95 - $24.95 here
    Cables are one of the few things that retailers make good markup on, so they rely on selling you the $99 printer (they make $8) and the $ 15.95 USB cable (they make $11) for a total profit of about 16%. It takes about 14% profit to pay the employes, the rent, the freight and keep the lights on.

Online sellers have a different cost/profit model, so you see Monoprice.com who sell mail-order at essentially the wholesale price that the retailer buys at.

Apple's profit model, of course relies at selling both online and in the company stores, at full list price.

6. Not-a-cliche thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure Amazon wouldn't do that - and if it's a mistake, then it's a very common mistake.

[​IMG]

7. portent macrumors 6502a

Incidentally, the US Apple Store sells the firewire cables for USD14...about GBP7

The folks that sell the GBP.01 cables make their money on "shipping," but it's still a good deal.

8. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

I purchase all cables such as this from monoprice.com. They are by far one of the least expensive sources and have excellent customer service.