Apple firmware .ipsw

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by helavaboi, Jun 26, 2009.

1. helavaboi macrumors newbie

I am such a no brainer when it comes to iphone so i hope i can real in this forum to jailbreak my iphone. I have a 3G 2nd generation and am using windows. I have update the phone on itunes to OS3.0 and downloaded redsnow and downloaded the latest firmware .ipsw and follwed exactly the directions on iclarifed but cannot seem to find the apple firmware .ipsw at all when browsing through i tunes or even running redsnow.....

have reserached on various and downloaded the firmware from websites but am ending up no where.....any help or suggestions is really appreciated

2. Killquake macrumors member

Well theree is a jailbreak section and stuff:p

But anyway, when you download the .ipsw are you downloading it as a .rar or .zip? The problem i had was i didn't unzip it or unrar, you have to do that and turn it into the .ipsw so that iTunes recognizes it

3. JaySC macrumors member

1. search

2. wrong forum

3. Is it a 2g or a 3g? It can't be both.

iTunes creates the .ipsw when you backup your phone. You need to check your iTunes prefs and see where it stores this file. If nothing in the prefs shows you, then try www.google.com.

4. Haephestos macrumors regular

No it doesn't. That is the backup. Totally different thing. :p

5. JaySC macrumors member

Well everytime I've done backup from a new OS or a new phone, it has created a backup and an .ipsw. Maybe I stand corrected, but that has been the case for me. Maybe I'm confused, it is late after all.

6. Kyeris macrumors 6502

The .ipsw is the file that contains the, if you would like to think of it like this; the structure for the iPhone. Backups are seperate files that are actually included with the .ipsw if you hit update, your iphone restores and then loads the backup files.

7. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

Cut him some slack he's a newbie