Apple, Fix the proximity sensor.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EnderTW, Jul 13, 2010.

1. EnderTW macrumors 6502

I am having some dropped calls due to atenna issue but the more annoying issue right now is the proximity sensor. I have been dealing with it since launch, however, I think it's time to get vocal and post it on a forum and send some feedback to stevejobs@apple.com.

I have been in contacts, asking for facetime which annoying puts the caller on speaker, and put people on hold/mute all with my face.

FIX this apple.

2. tomashi macrumors regular

worst is if you accidentally delete a contact or something.

3. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

How can you have had this problem since launch and not had the phone replaced? That's what it's time to do!

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

A settings reset solved that problem for me. YMMV.

5. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

I have iPhone 4's on my account and they all have the stupid proximity sensor.

My face dials FaceTime, Ends calls, Merges Calls, mutes, and presses random numbers all the time.

So freakin' annoying. I already replaced 1 phone but got the same issues with the replacement.

Making another appointment today.

6. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

^ Stop restoring form backups, or do an all settings reset. If you've had this problem on 2 phones then that is definitely the problem.

7. tomashi macrumors regular

plenty of people reporting their replacement phones have the same issue

8. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

The reason why I am not returning my phone is I have heard way too many people already returning their phones, just to have the same issue happen with the new device.

Something will most likely come out after the 30 day period for returning the phone.

9. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

LoL

Maybe they will tell you to replace your face... :D

10. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

OP, the proximity sensor will be so easy for them to fix, and im sure its coming in the next update, just be patient

11. EnderTW thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure all they have to do is change the sensitivity of light on the thing. Come on Apple, release the fix already.

12. Sledutah macrumors regular

Wrong!
    I set mine up as NEW, not from a backup. Problem started the first day, reset all settings, still doesn't work right.

13. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Same here, setup as new, two phones so far, not fixed.

The thing is, if I talk on my right ear, it doesn't seem to happen.
    I can't talk on that ear though, it's not comfortable for me and I'm not used to it so it's not a solution.

14. Sledutah macrumors regular

Oh *****, I hope that hasn't happened. Several times when I go to press end I see that contacts is open.

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't have it. My friends (5+) don't have it. My friends from other states/areas don't have it.

16. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I think this is more of a software fix, all I have noticed is that the screen shuts off closer to my face than previous iPhones, i would imagine a tweek in sensitivity would fix it.

17. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Ahh HA! This is why my phone has been acting SO weird. Ive put my phone on mute and (scarry) dialed a number without actually dialling.

Some of the weirdest things have been happening and I think I know why now.

This is my 4th gen iPhone and never had any of this happen.

18. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

What are the chances that a new replacement phone will have the sane problem?

I'm getting one today.

What are the chances that a new replacement phone will have antenna issues? I don't have any now and it would suck if the new phone did.

19. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Im PRAYING a software fix does the trick. My phones reception is not a prob. so I like the phone.

Magically dialed are NOT acceptable though..

20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

21. Bigrahizzle macrumors regular

Bigrahizzle

read the gizmodo article, people have reported hardware changes on and their new replacements.

22. mer4343 macrumors newbie

Two Phones Same problem

I'm on my second iP4 and still have the same problem. Reception is really not an issue. i lose bars, but never drop a call due to that.

I have dropped several calls, made calls, put calls on hold, and muted them because of the sesonr problem. This is MUCH more troublesome to me than the antenna thing.

I guess I'll try for another replacement, but chances are the sensor issue will persist.

23. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

As an engineer, I'm dying to find out what this one turns out to be. I've got two IP4s in the house, I know of 5 more at the office. Not one has ever had a single prox sensor issue yet I believe all of you here that are suffering. So strange.

24. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

And those reports are completely unfounded.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Gizmodo- my most trusted news source. :rolleyes: