Apple fixed my loose hinge issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, Jul 23, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Just wanted everyone who has this issue to know. I just got back from the Apple store collecting my MBP and it no longer has the loose hinge issue whereby if you held the laptop at an angle (such as laying in bed with your knees slightly raised), the display would collapse under gravity

Mine no longer does this...totally fixed.

EDIT: It seems i've traded one issue for another. The new replacement display has a dead pixel. *Sigh*

2. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Was it something they did on the spot, or did you have to hand it over for a few days?

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Hand it over for a few days...display replacement

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I had this problem on two units. Both of the screens shimmered after you adjusted the angle, and it would not stay up after holding it parallel to the ground.

Both units also started to develop a creaking/clicking sound when you open and closed the lid.

I can't imagine this being an isolated issue...

5. Jottle macrumors 6502

OP, was your mbp the 15'' unit? This isn't actually a defect if so. If you go into an apple store, you'll see that all the 15'' units' screens will close on you if you angle the laptop more than 45 degrees. It sucks, but it's a result of the new hinge design.

6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

It is a 15" unit and i also used to think it was a 'feature' but it isn't i tested the laptops at my local store and 1 had the issue whilst the other had a normal hinge.

When booking it in the genius diagnosis my problem said he did comparisons and two out of three laptops didn't have the issue. A fellow genius even tried to detract him but he insisted there was a problem.

They also fixed it suggesting there IS something to fix.

7. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Just because they all have it doesn't mean it is not a defect; it just means that all the units they made are defective.

If every Camry came with faulty brakes, that doesn't mean that any particular unit is not defective.

I agree that it is a relatively minor issue; I never keep the MBP at those angles. What troubles me is that over time, the hinge will wear down and eventually it won't hold at the angles you will actually use.

For a 2000+ computer, it should just be more solid. Hopefully, Apple improves on the hinge and makes it more solid. They are really close to having the best computer out there.