Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Now if only Apple could fix the control center glitch when the phone is locked, which prevents the user from swiping up even though the feature is enabled.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
I feel left out. Not only do I not know WTF everyone's talking about but I'm in a search now and still don't see any problem or have any issues searching. I don't mistype any periods. Is this because I'm using a 6 Plus? Anyway, I never even noticed anything on my iPhone 4s either. It's like I'm in a different realm.

I want to experience the frustration too! :eek:

Last edited:

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
About time!!!

Now, can Apple PLEASE allow us to cut and paste into the dialing pad without clearing out what's already typed in? Petty I know, but whatever.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
I just wished they would make the keyboard bigger to take advantage of the bigger screen. There are some aftermarket apps that when you type the keyboard is amazing in size and a joy to type in.

This sucks even more in landscape where they made the keyboard in the middle of all those useless shortcut keys

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I feel left out. Not only do I not know WTF everyone's talking about but I'm in a search now and still don't see any problem or have any issues searching. I don't mistype any periods. Is this because I'm using a 6 Plus? Anyway, I never even noticed anything on my iPhone 4s either. It's like I'm in a different realm.

I have the 6+ and do this all the time. Search has a special keyboard with a big Go button and a "." button which is where the right-hand side of spacebar normally is. I'd guess this mainly affects people who habitually type the space bar with their right thumb because that makes going farther to the left an uncomfortable reach. (I've tried but I just can't pick up the habit of reaching further on the search keyboard.) So perhaps if you type the space with a different hand or finger or have a longish thumb, or use a custom keyboard, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Mitigating it... search seems to do a decent job even if you leave the periods in there.

Shrinking the Go button is a good fix, IMO.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
I have the 6+ and do this all the time. Search has a special keyboard with a big Go button and a "." button which is where the right-hand side of spacebar normally is. I'd guess this mainly affects people who habitually type the space bar with their right thumb because that makes going farther to the left an uncomfortable reach. (I've tried but I just can't pick up the habit of reaching further on the search keyboard.) So perhaps if you type the space with a different hand or finger or have a longish thumb, or use a custom keyboard, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Mitigating it... search seems to do a decent job even if you leave the periods in there.

Shrinking the Go button is a good fix, IMO.
Interesting. I must have a long thumb. I'm sure my thumb is proportionately longer than the rest of my hand because it's not like I have super large hands. I have fingers just long enough to manage the 6+ in one hand.

Btw, OT but I still have my iPhone 4 for testing and OMG is that thing small after staring at the 6+ all this time. I don't even know how I used that thing. It's ridiculous. My eyes actually have to refocus to use it.

Civil Engineer

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2013
Left handed

Now if they would only do the same for us left-handed people and make the blasted emoticon button smaller - go for the space button - then scroll over to get back to main keyboard - repeat above.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

The problem is worse when you have dictation enabled. The spacebar is even shorter.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
IOS8 in landscape orientation, upper left corner of the keyboard, under the microphone key. When you hit it accidentally it reeeeealllly sucks and isn't too hard to do. Wipes out everything in that message, whether it's a sentence or a book. Gone.

Edit: Oops, not in Safari, just in the native Text App. Still annoying.

Edit 2: Yep it's in Safari too.

Shake your phone to undo it.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Now if only Apple could fix the control center glitch when the phone is locked, which prevents the user from swiping up even though the feature is enabled.

Fingers crossed I've not yet had this happen on 8.2? But It's been a constant grumble since 8.0. Half the time having to swipe to password screen to get it to work.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
What the hell is a "period key"? Do you mean the full stop key? ****ing yanks have to change everything in the English language.:mad:

I see they've still not added a delete key which just about the only thing I want changed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What the hell is a "period key"? Do you mean the full stop key? ****ing yanks have to change everything in the English language.:mad:

I see they've still not added a delete key which just about the only thing I want changed.
It's been part of American English for a long time. Just because British English uses a different word for it, doesn't make American English somehow wrong.

And the delete key has always been there on the keyboard.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
And the delete key has always been there on the keyboard.

Where? I can't see it. I've got a backspace key which deletes as you move backwards but I can't see an actual delete key.

----------

It's been part of American English for a long time. Just because British English uses a different word for it, doesn't make American English somehow wrong.

There's no such thing as British English, it's just English. And yes if you change the word then you're wrong. Do Americans change all the words in Spanish and call it American Spanish as opposed to Spanish Spanish?

There is absolutely no reason to change English words that have been established for centuries just because Americans prefer a different word. No other country does it. You don't have Canadian English or New Zealand English. They're respectful enough to use the established words.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Where? I can't see it. I've got a backspace key which deletes as you move backwards but I can't see an actual delete key.

----------

There's no such thing as British English, it's just English. And yes if you change the word then you're wrong. Do Americans change all the words in Spanish and call it American Spanish as opposed to Spanish Spanish?

There is absolutely no reason to change English words that have been established for centuries just because Americans prefer a different word. No other country does it. You don't have Canadian English or New Zealand English. They're respectful enough to use the established words.

The delete key from a decade ago doesn't really exist anymore, at least not Apple keyboards, and certainly not going to be there on a touchscreen keyboard of limited area (where just with simple quick touches you can be anywhere in text and use the delete key--yes thst's how Apple refers to it--without any need for it to somehow go in a different direction).

As for English, welcome to established language differences and naming conventions that are from decades ago. You can certainly feel slighted by that somehow, but it doesn't change the established reality.

AppDiggity

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2015
I press the space bar more than I do the period symbol on accident. Still good seeing Apple constantly improving UI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.