Apple floor model was perfect

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Acorn, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I went into the apple store to look at the 27 inch imac. I had never seen it in person. It was beautiful. My sister who is a windows user was with me and she goes wow id love to have one of those on my desk. Without even looking at the price she pretty much guessed what it cost just by the build quality and design. Anyway my sister wants a mac now after looking at the imac. The floor model we looked at was perfect. I played around with it and there was no image retention that I could see. There also was no yellowing or any such thing present. The floor model was perfect really. No dead pixels nothing.

I dont get where people say the floor models also had problems. The one i looked at was awesome. I have to say its also much more impressive in person then just looking at a pic online.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Most iMac are nearly perfect - any tech is going to have bad apples.

3. Leonavice macrumors member

My suggestion. You can always pay for a new set, and get the Apple store guys bring out their storeroom stocks for your inspection. Should you find that none of them match that perfect floor model, then take the floor model.

There's a reason why sometimes floor models will go for cheaper. It's a display set. Nobody knows what other shoppers have done to it. They might even have rub their snot on the underside of the keyboard for all you know.

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

It would be pretty sad if Apple put less than perfect products on display...I have yet to see anything but perfect display models in Apple stores, despite what people say on the internet.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

As long as you have AppleCare, you should be covered by any problems you'll experience with a floor model.

6. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

The apple store floor model might not be showing it's true nature.

-all apple stores are so bright,would be hard to check screen quality (backlight bleed,yellowing ect)
    -lots of noise in apple store,thus any fan issue would also be masked

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I guess they missed the pun...:) I've had my new 27" for a little over two months now..No image retention, a flawless screen..It's bound to happen though, and Apple will replace without fuss....Not a reason to avoid buying.

8. karpich1 macrumors regular

Glad to hear you're happy with it.

My problem with display-model computers would be:

Who knows what went on with those keyboards. And my experience is that Apple Store floor-models get used a LOT more. Snot, mucus, germs, etc... floor-model PCs get used a LOT by people that don't care. I've seen people wipe their snot on the keyboard after picking their nose.

I've come out of an electronic store bathroom following a guy who did NOT wash his hands after taking a dump, who then immediately started man-handling a laptop (typing, lifting it, etc). And I'm serious... I saw some brown residue on it when he was done. Yuck!

Then there's things like scratches and dings... people try moving them to see the whole thing and chances are someone did something wrong. I've seen people accidentally knock over and drop PCs onto the table... hard. Obviously not the floor because most are tied down a little. But still, that can't be good.

Honestly, I'd have to be hard-up to want a floor model of a machine even if it looks pristine. I've seen some messed up stuff at stores. People just don't care because "it's not there item" and will treat it like garbage.

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I've seen less than perfect Macs at the Apple stores many times. Stuck Pixels, yellowing and pinkish screens. Yeah, not nearly as often as I've gotten them which makes me feel at times that they filter out that bad models by sending them back to go to refurb so the demos appear to be "perfect".

In terms of the Macs appearing to be perfect? Well probably not, no matter how good they look on the store's floor. It's different when you get it home, somehow people lure themselves to MR and end up finding their perfect Mac is a piece of junk. ;)

10. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Apple stores don't sell demo units.

11. Leonavice macrumors member

That I have no idea. TS's first post sounds like he could buy the demo unit though, which was why I assumed it could be done.