Apple for business

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jfoley89, Jun 14, 2017.

1. jfoley89 macrumors regular

Ok, so here is what I want to do

I want to have several iPads and iMacs in sync when it comes to files and calendars.

-Admin iMacs creates all calendars/files in iCloud Drive

-iPads can access files/calendars while out on site and add photos to the files when need be

-iPads and iMac need to share photo files just in case person didn't upload photo to the folder

-iPads each need a seperate email/iMessage account, iMacs can have the same accounts as each other

-Can i restrict the iPads from deleting things off the calendar/iCloud Drive so nothing important is accidentally deleted

What is the best way to do all of this?
    Would I sign each iPad up with its own iCloud account for iMessages/mail, but sign into the admins iCloud account for iCloud? Would I only need extended storage for the main iCloud account cause this is the one they are all using?

2. 960design macrumors 68020

• Create a web based calendar. Create a shortcut on the desktop/ios-top for quick access.
    • Create WebDav server or simple web based file server web app. Use same username/password database as the calendar for user access.
    Don't do this. Users should have role based access to web based applications, not device based.

Easily done with web application. Save the photos to local storage if 'on-site' does not have WiFi access, then upload them when internet is available. If you really want to get fancy you can build this all into an app.

Role based access rules would easily allow this and every other scenario you can think of.

Does not matter with scenario I've outlined above, but easily doable.

Role based access for the win again. Some users can delete, some cannot. Some can view photos, some can not. Some can read, some can edit.... ect.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Do you have any recommendations for a WebDev on the Mac?

4. 960design macrumors 68020

I rolled my own with Apache and Ubuntu a couple of years ago. Very simple to setup, many online tutorials available.
    After the fun wore off, I needed something more robust and was about to build out a web application to handle all of this before learning about OwnCloud. They seemed to have heard my thoughts and built something better than I could have.

So, instead of rolling your own WebDav, I would recommend self hosting an owncloud server:
    https://owncloud.org/

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Oh! Very nice thank you for the link.

6. jfoley89 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response and information, I'll give that a go. Cheers