Apple Forces Recyclers to Shred All iPhones and MacBooks

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by tubeexperience, Apr 25, 2017.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/apple-recycling-iphones-macbooks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you're complaining that Apple is recycling o_O

I've long stopped listening to Louis Rossmann as he seems to go out of his way to criticize Apple and has an axe to grind against them, just for the sake of getting hits on his YT channel.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I've seen this stupid article come up everywhere since Apple announced their initiative to go mining free.

Not allowing for a resale market of parts is not the same thing as not recycling.

4. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

No, I am complaining that Apple refuses to let parts that work perfectly fine be reused.

For example, let's suppose that logic board failed (and Louis Rossman didn't buy it).

Why does the display, the SSD, the top case, the bottom case, etc. all needs to be crushed into little pieces?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is sending these products to the recycler to recycle, not resell. if they failed Apple's own internal repair/refurbishment process and they chose to send the machine to a recycler then they expect that to occur.

If a recycling company has some sort of issue that as thy prefer fixing/reselling the products, then they don't have to do business with apple. At this point Apple is the customer and they are doing what they want with their machines.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2017 ---
    Another issue is that if they did go and resell these, it could be a support headache for apple as they sent these for recycling, a company "fixes" them and resells the laptop. It fails and that new owner calls apple up to complain and get it fixed. I can see that if apple determines the machine is not good enough to refurbish then it will recycle the parts for reuse.

6. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

You know full well that this is just another battlefront in a war against 3rd party repairs and DIY.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No it isn't because its about Apple sending its products to a recycler, how are you making the connection that this has to do with 3rd party repairs because its a relationship between apple and recyclers.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

HOW.

Explain to me HOW parts and machines that Apple is expressly shipping out for recycling is damaging repairs and DIY? Are you asserting that Apple should be sending units out for recycling with the expectation that the recycler should be allowed to scavenge parts (and potentially salvage hard drives/ssd's)? That's absurd. You contract for recycling with the explicit demand in the contract that any and all parts will be securely recycled. Anyone in the IT field that has experience in decommissioning units knows this. You don't ship stuff out to be destroyed without guaranteeing that security is first and foremost.

Regardless, recycling from Apple is completely outside the domain of 3rd party repairs. Two entirely different avenues.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The company I work for has the same exact relationship. Any computers being sent off for recycling are not being resold, repaired, or dissaembled, but rather shredded (to use the article's terminology).

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yup, that's standard practice.

Why this has been circulating on the web recently is beyond me, other than a pathetic response to Apple's laudable (but still not fully explained/fleshed out) future goal of no-mining manufacturing.

11. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

That Youtuber is the worst, a pure Apple hater that says Apple puts chips that stop working when the warranty runs out, which is obviously fake.

Second, Apple recycles devices that people return them (receiving a monetary compensation) for recycling.

Apple can't fix them because that would be a scam.

Also, recycling is the best for those cases, old computers are bad for the environment because they consume more power to do less, it's not like Apple is throwing away good devices, because nobody gives good devices for Apple to recycle as they have a better second hand value.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2017 ---
    Some press group is not happy with Apple advertising with the competition.

Simple as that.