All iPads Apple forcing ios6 holdouts to update to ios7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smileyface, Oct 6, 2013.

1. smileyface macrumors member

It appears ios 7 has been downloaded onto my ipad 4 without my consent.I have not installed yet but it is taking up 3.3 gigs of storage space.

I am also having problems updating a lot of apps.I want to keep ios 6 but it seems like Apple want everyone to update to ios 7.

2. Dana Beck macrumors member

Dana Beck

Turn off wifi when you charge your ipad

Like everyone else, I got the iOS 7 download on my ipad 3. I want to keep iOS 6 on this iPad (for website design testing purposes). If you don't want ios 7 to install, just be sure to turn OFF wifi before you charge it, either to your computer or your wall power adapter. Once charged, just turn wifi back on.

3. smileyface thread starter macrumors member

The problem is once ios 7 was downloaded onto my ipad,the app store stopped working.I could not update or even download free apps from the app store.At least this was the case on my ipad 4.

I have just reluctantly installed ios 7 and this fixed the problem with the app store.I think Apple is using this method to force all ios 6 holdouts to update to ios 7 once it is downloaded.

4. Guitarpik macrumors member

Thats pretty messed up considering how apple boasts their high ios7 adoption rate.

5. ratsg macrumors 6502

Are you sure that you don't have something set to automatically download updates?

This is the first I have heard of a forced update.

I have stuck with 6.1.2, as I plan to jail brake. Haven't done so yet.

I have seen a couple of notices, but nothing that happened automatically or forced.

6. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Let me lead you to another dimension:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1646039

7. Alrescha macrumors 68020

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's not a forced update. It's still the standard OTA updates that have been with iOS since iOS 5.0. A forced update would be when one has no choice and the OTA update is installed by the device without the end user's consent. That is not what this is. While Apple does have the ability to do a forced OTA update, they have yet to use it.

9. lars666, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

lars666 macrumors 6502a

I know. I got mad trying to explain the difference "automatic download - automatic update" to other people in the thread over about nine pages and now am a permanent asylum resident. The OP claimed correctly that the installer package was downloaded on his device automatically (no switching off possible) and now eats up space. He didn't claim that his iPad was updated to iOS 7 automatically. "ratsg" confused this (or at least the two terms) and I led him to the thread where 1. the forced automatic DOWNLOAD is confirmed and 2. the difference between automatic download and automatic update is explained in the comments ad absurdum.

10. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Worked for me:

Erase All Content and Settings via your iPad: Settings>Reset (scroll to the bottom of the page)>Erase All Content and Settings.

Followed up as others have stated, turn off your WIFI while charging.

This will effectively delete the download and prevent it from re-downloading.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Don't know what to tell you. I still have 6 on my Mini and I just downloaded Luminosity for free. My icon will sometimes show a bunch of updates but then far fewer show up, which makes me think these are just iOS7 updates.

12. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I have iOS 6.1.3 on both my iPad 2 and iPodT5.

I see that iOS 7.0.2 has been downloaded to both devices, but as I haven't given either permission to install, still running on iOS 6.1.3 - and no issues with any app updates or performance.

I had planned on upgrading the Touch to iOS 7, but refuse to do that via wireless. When I have time, will connect it to my desktop rig and follow my usual procedure of doing a full backup to iTunes first.

Apple isn't forcing me to do anything.

13. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

regardless, there should be an option to delete update data just in case for example a person's company doesnt support a certain version of iOS and if someone has say an 8GB or 16GB phone, that is still a considerable amount of storage for a dormant update to take up.

14. smileyface thread starter macrumors member

Has ios 7 been downloaded onto your iPad yet?I had no problem with the App Store until it was downloaded onto my iPad.The download was forced but you still have to manually install it.

I did not intall iOS 7 due to reports of problems with it but I reluctantly installed it yesterday and it fixed the App Store problem.

Anyway,I am happy to report I that am not having any of the issues people complain about iOS 7 and it is running quite smoothly for the time being.

15. ratsg macrumors 6502

How could I determine if my i-device had downloaded the update in the background?

Either way, I have had a couple of prompts letting me know an upgrade was available, but I just exited out of it.

16. donnaw macrumors 65816

I'm curious if the OS installer literally took up so much space that you didn't have enough for apps. If you were close then that might have been you problem.

My iPad 2 has also downloaded iOS 7 (which I have no wish to install) and have had no issues with app updates. I am planning on getting a new iPad 5 and giving this one to my grandkids. My grandson is an Aspie and doesn't like the new OS so I want to leave it on 6. I'm hoping I can do the reset thing and preserve 6. The problem will be keeping it from auto downloading again.

17. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

They downloaded 750MB to your device without your permission and have not provided a way to regain that space.

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You allowed it by tapping "Accept" to the terms and agreements when first using iOS. There's a line about automatically downloading OTA updates.

19. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Both devices are 32GB with at least 10GB available on each, so it's not really relevant. But I might think differently if I didn't have that extra space.

20. smileyface thread starter macrumors member

Although my iPad has only 16g,I still have about 8g free so I don't think that was the problem. It appears this app problem was isolated to my iPad only so perhaps it was not related to the iOS 7 download.

21. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

The users who want to stay on older iOS are in a small minority. For every user complaining about forced iOS7 downloand (not install) there are many many who have upgraded happily. As an iPad1 user still on iOS5 I'd love to have iOS7 as I have on my iPhone.

22. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

That is true, but it doesn't stop it from being annoying. I have no problem with the automatic download. But Apple should allow you to delete that download.

23. lars666 macrumors 6502a

With the same logic, I probably also agreed in the terms that Apple can remote-delete/deactivate my iPhone/Apps for any reason they consider necessary. Doesn't mean they SHOULD.

24. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

ugh, I want to puke

25. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

mine hasnt downloaded on its own. it is showing the 1 on the settings icon though