Other Apple forcing me to get Apple Music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GomerBoy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

So yesterday, I was playing some songs on my 8 Plus and a couple songs in particular when I pressed on them, up popped up a splash screen to try Apple Music for 3 months. The options to press on the splash screen were “Try 3 Month Trial” or “Not Now.” When I pressed “Not Now” the splash screen would go away but would not play the song. I tried pressing the same song again and the Apple Music splash screen came up and would never play the song. Beyond frustrating. I even rebooted my phone and everything.

So I got the 3 month trial and now those songs play of course. I will just have to remember to cancel my subscription before those 3 months are done. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

Have you made sure that ‘Show Apple Music’ is disabled?
    [​IMG]

3. Krishnexus macrumors newbie

You can cancel the subscription immediately, the trial would still be provided for the duration of 3 months. Or keep a reminder close to 3 months to cancel the subscription.

If you don't want to see Apple Music, then disable that in the music options

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Apple isn’t forcing you to subscribe.

5. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I did and Apple Music was still popping up and I couldn’t play the songs.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2018 ---
    Nice...so if I cancel the subscription now, I still have a 3 month trial for a later time?

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No. You will get your three month trial now. When it runs out, that is it.

7. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Are the songs you tried to play purchased or synced locally via iTunes?

8. GomerBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I bought the songs and they are in my music library. On iTunes they play just fine but when I try to play them on my 8 Plus, they don’t play and I get a screen to try Apple Music.

9. orev macrumors 6502

Very likely the song you were trying to play was coming from Apple Music. Maybe your synced songs were in another section of the app.

10. ScreenSavers macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

Yes. You were trying to play a song that requires Apple Music to play.

11. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

Some speculation here (as I don't want to mess with my Match settings), but, maybe op does not have automTic download set up on the phone? So that would require Radio or Match set up?

12. TallRed macrumors newbie

TallRed

There’s a similar situation with the HomePod. You don’t get full functionality unless you subscribe to Apple Music.

13. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I sync the songs through iTunes and never ever encounter a single Apple Music pop-up during normal usage. Of course, all music are purchased off-iTunes store.
    Apple will never allow a single customer permanently disable Apple Music past iOS 9, believe me. I tried and every time I disabled it, it automatically re-enabled after a few days.
    You can convert your music to other format (such as mp3) to remove some hidden metadata from it. Or you can purchase the music purchased form iTunes Store elsewhere and sync. It sounds crazy and tedious but this is what I am doing now.

14. ScreenSavers macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

When I hide and disable it with iOS 11, it’s gone. I’m never asked about it at all.

15. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Spotify++ is a tweaked app that works pretty good.