Apple Forcing Me to Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by hooplehead, Sep 11, 2008.

1. hooplehead macrumors member

Well, I work overseas in Korea, and the for some reason I MUST use the Korean iTunes store. (I buy clothes, books, gadgets, even food from the States online all the time with my credit card), but a "hi-tech" company such as Apple will not allow me to use the US iTunes store using my credit card. They tell me to use the Korean one because I live in Korea. I DO NOT even speak Korean. I just live here and work here.

Anyways, I had a jailbroken iPod Touch, but I decided to go legit when the App Store was up and running, so I could buy some games.

Well, the Korean iTunes store does not have a single game. Not one. So I want to buy Spore, but can't. WTF?

So, Apple is forcing me to go back to jailbreaking. Now where to find Spore...hmmm.

I really really hate Apple's business logic in dealing with it's consumer base.

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

If you have an American debit or credit card, it ain't difficult to open an iTunes account for the US store.

3. hooplehead thread starter macrumors member

I don't. Haven't lived in the US for 15 years. I have bank accounts in Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, and Korea. The point is, I can order anything under the sun with the credit cards I have, what difference does the physical location matter of the bank that is backing my money? (I mean, iTunes itself isn't a "physical" entity either). Amazon, Dell, Old Navy, Costco, etc., sure don't care the money's coming from an Asian bank when I order stuff online.

This is the only company I have had an issue with using my credit cards overseas...since I started buying stuff online back in 1996. Think about that. And they are a "leading" company in tech & innovation?

Hell, the mom & pop costume shop in Des Moines Iowa I ordered a Halloween costume from last year have it more together than iTunes. Think about that.

4. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

I think it has something to do with the record labels and their cut, or something on this order.

Just curious if an iTunes gift card from the states would work for you. If so buy off somewhere like Amazon then you should be set. Just a thought.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Well, if you don't have a US credit/debit card you can't really complain. At least not to Apple. The distribution deal with the record labels/movie studios only permits the sale of items in the US iTunes Store to customers living in the US.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the problem is the card has to match a US home address, if you signup to US account then and use a card registered to another country it will say no. Best thing to do would be go on ebay and buy itunes cards maybe or use the apple US store website and buy itunes card

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Exactly. I live in Japan, no longer have any US-issued credit cards, and I was still able to set up a U.S. iTMS account so that I could get all the cool games and stuff, too. It's really not that difficult, all it takes is a quick Google search. :rolleyes:

8. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Fact 1: Spore isn't that good.
    Fact 2: Yes, jailbreaking is still where it's at. :)

9. yaemes macrumors member

i like spore origins. its pretty fun.

its definitely possible to setup a US store account, although jailbreaking is always the better option so it doesnt really matter. you'd definately want to know about this.

10. hooplehead thread starter macrumors member