Apple forcing new .me email as Apple ID ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

So looking through all the options on the beta ios I started thinking maybe it would be nice to have a .me account and it could possibly replace gmail.

So I click the on button to create a new free .me account and it says that it will be my new apple ID. Is this just a simple email address change to login in with? It will let me change my apple id back to my gmail accout afterward correct? It's basically jus changing your login info correct?

2. Himynamesnoah macrumors member

You can replace it as your Apple ID, if you want. If you don't want it to, just sign out of the account, or delete it depending on what service your changing it for.

Then sign into the one you want to use. Personally, I'm making the switch from gmail to my @me.com email completely by the time iOS 5 and iCloud are final. I have started already.

3. iKennett macrumors 6502

Would love to do this but can't use my @me.com address to replace me current apple id email address which is @gmail.com.

4. flatfoot99 Guest

me too.... even tried to set up a new one on the phone itself. It works, but all my previous apps arent tied to it. Now i have 3 different apple ids.:mad:

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Can you only make the .me account through the dev account? I really want to make one on my first name as it is not being used but am afraid someone will pick it once it is released to the public... now only if I could get my hands on this for free.

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

How/where are you doing this, I went to Apple and it says they are not accepting new subscribers?

7. flatfoot99 Guest

if you are running os5, you can sign up under icloud settings.

8. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i signed up on the icloud part...but never put a password in.

so i can only send and recieve on my device. tried to setup a .me on my 'mail' on my macbook...no go, need a password.

anyone got any idea's?

9. flatfoot99 Guest

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1165893