Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
<rant>

Hi all. I have been buying Apple devices for the longest time. Incredible and beautiful pieces of technology and engineering. Lately, however, I feel like they are forgetting how phones are used in the hand.

I have come to appreciate phones that aren't as thin, but provide more battery and a MORE comfortable grip. I have come to appreciate the curve on phones from Motorolla, Oneplus and other devices. The iPhone 6 to me is the perfect size phone. However single handed holding is so thin and flat that gripping is not ergonomic and can be painful.

I do hope Apple remembers that being the thinnest phone isn't priority. Designing a comfortable phone leads to happier users. Add on a couple mm to the phone and give us bigger battery and a comfortable phone to hold.

</rant>

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Seems to me like the 3GS was the last iPhone designed with "ergonomics" in mind. I know plenty of folks have happily use(d) 4, 5, and 6 series iPhones without a case; but their designs and materials never really seemed (again, to me) well suited for that purpose.

Even the 5c (my favorite iPhone and the one I use) feels a bit too thin without a case, and not "hand friendly" (no curve to the back; you have to pinch the sides to pick it up from a flat surface; etc.).

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
I have to completely disagree. While iPhone 5 and 5S weren't that ergonomic to me because of sharp edges I find iPhone 6 to be extremely ergonomic due to it's thinness and rounded edges.

Where phones with curved back cover may feel ergonomic at first, until you realize that the longer distance your palm has to travel to reach the other edge of the phone actually makes it harder to reach all of the screen one handed. At least for me.

I realize these things may vary depending on your hand size/finger length.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The regular 6 is very ergonomic, I can't see anyone saying it isn't unless they have tiny little hands. My wife is tiny and she has no issues using her 6 at all, even one handed. I use the 6+ and can use it one handed mostly and it works great, but not 100 optimal when you have to reach across the screen. Forget about the useless one handed mode, they should have copied Samsung's awesome one handed mode.

Another thing that helps a lot is getting a matte full body skin, it improves my grip a lot. But Apple could fix the ergonomic issues by making the + narrower, reducing the top bezel to make it less top heavy when using one handed, and implement a useful one handed mode like Samsung has.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
How are you holding the phone that it's causing you pain?? Is it just the phone or all thin, rectangular objects? The current design needs improvement, but I'd rather they not give us a bar of soap.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Agreed, the 6+ nekkid is painful to use after awhile. It's so slippery you have to have it rest on one of your pinkys while reading for any period of time. And because it's so slippery you have to hold your fingers stiff to keep the phone from sliding around = hand cramps. This is my experience - same experience using the iPad Mini 2 nekkid.

Add a rubberized case (Apple Silicon) and a case for the iPad Mini 2? Yeah, not as nice as nekkid in my opinion but with the stickiness of the phone - it can rest in my hands without me having to keep my hand rigid - same for the iPad.

I never had this problem with the 4s and 5. But they weren't as "rounded" and sat in the hand quite nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.