Apple Forgotton Australia

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NewMacGirl, Jan 18, 2008.

1. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

Apple is beginning to cause resentment in Australia as they seem to have totally ignored us-an article in last weeks Australian subtitled "Has Apple simply forgotten us?"

Its a bit disappointing as a lot of innovative ideas (which are licensed
    and used in everyday products I can almost guarantee you have close to you) come from here but are never acknowledged. Eg. The Google maps application which apple is promoting so heavily and plays such a pivotal role in the iphone was invented here.

You are probably using lots of Australian invented products and software concepts. In fact the highest number of patents filed from any single company over the last few years (not ever, this company is CURRENTLY at Number 2 on number of US patents filed) is not 3M, Sony, apple, Google-No its an Australian company.

http://www.portfolio.com/executives/features/2007/10/15/Top-Inventors-Sidebar

At least apple can do is give us a date or an update.

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23050354-5013038,00.html

http://www.unsw.edu.au/news/pad/articles/2006/apr/Google_Allon.html

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah apple seems to have forgotten you and the 190 other countries. a lot of the stuff comes from china, but do they have iphones... no

3. needthephone macrumors 6502a

But at least there are well publicised negotiations going on in China and even Japan. I agree with the sentments that us Ozzies seem to contribute a lot but never get any credit or payback. I know for a fact that a lot of great aussie software engineers are well sought after and respected in the US.

On the ideas front, countrys that are geographically or politically isolated will always produce really out of left field innovations. And we as a nation won't be told what to do and think we can do better than the rest of the world but do it without any fuss. Look at our world beating sports teams. If Australia decides it wants to compete in any sport on a global level watch out. There may be only 20 million of us but we are feisty stubborn buggers.

However newmacgirl don't get too sensitive, remember that we have a world class 3G network and there are not really any EDGE networks left to run the old tech iphone, which has been crippled to run on the US's antiquated mobile system.

Its only been released in limited markets because of its (sorry apple I do love you) inept lack of 3G.

4. nlivo macrumors 6502a

Yes, but we have some of the slowest Internet speeds in the world.

5. NewMacGirl thread starter macrumors regular

This article says to expect it February-can' see it happening.

However Reuters (the very credible news agency are credited with the report)

http://www.news.com.au/feature/ranked/0,,5014908,00.html

It has to be 3G though-it isn't doing very well in the UK apparently due to being restricted to one network and high price of the plans.

So apple, on second thoughts hold off until its 3G and don't make the monthly charge too expensive or it will bomb.

"Mobile network giant O2, which is the only network provider in the UK for the handset, sold 190,000 for the first eight weeks from the iPhone’s launch in November - 10,000 short of the figures it predicted, according to the Financial Times.

High prices and network restrictions are thought to have curbed sales of the iPhone

02 had anticipated selling 200,000 iPhones in the first two months, but analysts predicted the sales would be far higher after pre-launch hype led to expectations that the £269 phone would quickly become a best seller like its iconic iPod predecessors.

But the high price tag and restrictions on using the phone on just a single network is thought to have put many consumers off buying the ground-breaking touch sensitive mobile phone.

Customers buying the phone were required to take out an 18 month contract at £35 a month, facing an outlay of £899."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/19/niphone119.xml

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I am all for you getting the iPhone down under but get your facts straight.
    Here is the 2007 list of top US patent companies.
    source: http://www.ificlaims.com/IFI%20Patent%20Release%201-9-08.htm
    Rank Company Name 2007 Patents
    1 INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES CORP 3148
    2 SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO LTD KR 2725
    3 CANON K K JP 1987
    4 MATSUSHITA ELECTRIC INDUSTRIAL CO LTD JP 1941
    5 INTEL CORP 1865
    6 MICROSOFT CORP 1637
    7 TOSHIBA CORP JP 1549
    8 SONY CORP JP 1481
    9 MICRON TECHNOLOGY INC 1476
    10 HEWLETT-PACKARD DEVELOPMENT CO L P 1470**
    11 HITACHI LTD JP 1397
    12 FUJITSU LTD JP 1315
    13 SEIKO EPSON CORP JP 1208
    14 GENERAL ELECTRIC CO 914
    15 INFINEON TECHNOLOGIES AG DE 856
    16 DENSO CORP JP 803
    17 TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC 752
    18 RICOH CO LTD JP 728
    19 HONDA MOTOR CO LTD JP 719
    20 SIEMENS AG DE 700
    21 LG ELECTRONICS INC KR 684
    22 NOKIA AB OY FI 682
    23 SHARP K K JP 667
    24 FUJIFILM CORP JP 662
    25 NEC CORP JP 617
    26 SUN MICROSYSTEMS INC 610
    27 CISCO TECHNOLOGY INC 582
    28 BOSCH, ROBERT GMBH DE 569
    29 KONINKLIJKE PHILIPS ELECTRONICS N V NL 560
    30 HONEYWELL INTERNATIONAL INC 539
    31 BROADCOM CORP 533
    32 SILVERBROOK RESEARCH PTY LTD AU 533
    33 XEROX CORP 517
    34 RENESAS TECHNOLOGY CORP JP 517
    35 EASTMAN KODAK CO 493
    First Australian company I think is #32.

7. aLoC macrumors 6502a

It's only logical for Apple to focus on the biggest markets first, i.e. Germany, Japan, UK.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm still not expecting it until the second half of the year. My guess is that its release is going to coincide with the opening of the Sydney Apple store. Steve will come down and it'll be awesome - apple secret sample bags and everything. They can't really announce it for us in advance because it be 3G and kill off the current sales of the EDGE handsets.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

We need a new constructive Australian iphone thread so hopefully this will keep going. Let's ignore the trolls and whiners.

10. Queso macrumors G4

I wouldn't worry about the lack of iPhone in Oz folks. As alluded to above it's worthless outside the USA without being 3G. That's the main reason for its sales failure in the UK. The price plan on O2 costs more than I pay for 3G, but for slower speeds. Plus the iPhone itself, despite the nice interface, has less features than my Sony Ericsson handset.

The iPhone IS a good start, but just like most Apple Rev. A devices it needs some refinement before I'd consider buying one. Hold out for Rev. B. It'll be worth it.

11. JasO macrumors regular

Australia is miniscule to Apple so they'll bring them to Australia when they feel it is right, not because a few people would like them. There isn't even an official Apple store in Australia, they're all re-sellers, so that should give you an idea of what the Australians contribute. It's not like Apple are singling Australia out, if they were then you would have something to complain about.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Mod's note: Let's keep this thread polite, please. I've had to delete some posts...

Trolling, accusations of whining, or pointing out spelling errors isn't constructive and will invariably result in more attention paid by the moderators to you than the OP. This applies everywhere on this board.

13. Queso macrumors G4

An Apple Store has been announced for Melbourne already, and Apple Australia are looking for a suitable location in Sydney. So they can't be that unimportant if they're getting branded stores before countries with much larger populations such as France.

14. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

My iPhone works great in AU when I travel there so I don't understand what your beef is. I don't know what sales figures your looking at, but the UK sales have been very strong for the iPhone. Of the 4 million iPhones sold far.. not all of them were sold in the US!

The reason the iPhone is not being sold in AU is Telstra and their hold on the market and the government. In addition, the entire AU population as been brain washed by Telstra to think that 3G is the greatest invention since the light bulb. The fact is 3G phones can't hold a candle to the iPhone running on that old tired Edge network....

If you think Telstra would ever go into a agreement to with Apple to share monthly service revenue- your crazy!

15. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

What about we in Ireland? We're next door to the UK who have had the phone since November. We have O2 yet no iPhone...

Not until the summer apparently either.

And this is the country where Apple have a huge facility, the home of the US tech companies for Europe, Middle East and Africa.

Google, Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, IBM, PayPal and Ebay, HP, Symantec, Intel etc etc

They're all here...

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

17. robjrussell macrumors member

come on now. Let's call it for how it is.

There's 20 million people living in oz.. not really a killer market. Out of 20 million how many iPhones will be sold? 200,000? And that's being quite generous.

The reality is Australia will never be a pivotal market to apple. Cant you tell by the fact we dont have a single real apple store. Just a lot of under skilled over priced know nothing re-sellers.

But i got no gripes.. Im posting this from newcastle.. On my iphone!
    :D

18. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

The fact that we are english speaking and are finally getting an Apple store i think bodes well for us getting the iPhone this year. Plus I think the 3G one is likely which should be a big improvement.

19. sjo macrumors 6502a

it's not that apple really has many other markets of that size to go. there's canada, then are a couple of west european countries (spain, italy), but that's about it. china said no thanks, korea and japan - the technology is incompatible. there are populous emerging markets but the actual number of consumers with income comparable to australians is not that huge, probably about the same as australia, at most.

20. JasO macrumors regular

I'm aware of these Apple stores, but two stores in the whole of Australia compared to 172 in 36 USA, ten in the United Kingdom, seven in Japan, and four in Canada. Recently, and the first store in continental Europe, in Rome.

Lets get back to topic, this isn't a discussion on whether or not there is an Apple store in the whole of Australia.

21. JasO macrumors regular

I agree Rob, I have nothing against Australia or the Australian people, I just think that Australia isn't a big power player to the rest of the world. Although I guess exporting live sheep to the middle east to be slaughtered seems to be working out fine :p

22. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah, your iPhone works well for your occasional visits. However, when you live in a country where there are better options on offer for the same price, are you really going to limit yourself to a 2.5G phone and contract? Some will, but not many. Apple haven't said much, but O2 have hinted that the iPhone has not been the success in the UK they were hoping for. The same with Orange in France.
    Do you honestly think Apple are going to open these two stores and leave it at that? Even in the USA one store had to open first, but pretty soon after others were planned and the operation expanded. The only territory Apple have opened in and not expanded so far is Italy, and I really can't imagine they're going to stop at Rome and leave the much larger and richer cities in the north of the country uncatered for forever. The Apple operation in Oz is most likely going to mirror that in the UK,where there are now 13 stores with another 3 planned to open. I fully expect that by the end of 2009 there will be Apple Stores in Canberra and Brisbane, and possibly even Perth and Adelaide.

23. rusty. macrumors member

rusty.

Mmmm yea your whole patent argument didn't make much sense.

They just haven't done it, it takes negotiation and such and apple wants a chunk of every bill.

24. robjrussell macrumors member

MY iPhone works brilliantly here in oz. and NO there's not any competition as far as cost goes.. 400$ for an iphone.. every phone is oz is priced at 400$ or higher..

25. Queso macrumors G4

I repeat....."Some will, but not many."