Apple "Friends/Family" Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bonafide, Nov 13, 2011.

1. bonafide macrumors regular

As I've been an iMac owner and Apple enthusiast for the past five years (heavy computer user for the past 20) a lot of my friends/family have switched over to Apple products. The majority of them use iPhones, iPods, iPads and more and more are using iMacs. Well... problem is over time they've been coming to me for some troubleshooting advice when they have a problem.

I'm doing my best to resolve the issues and I'm even considering taking the ACMT certification in order to help them better (and my own personal interest). But my concern is.. when it comes to repairing/replacing hardware I'm going to be in a tough spot.

Three of them have had to change hard drives due to drive failures... and although I'm comfortable changing an iMac HD (I've upgraded my own), I'm not quite sure I'm allowed to even after taking the ACMT. Am I correct? I need to be an authorized service provider and if I understand the rules governing that - it has to be a full time gig.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Should I support them or send them straight to the Apple store? What are the repercussions for support them (if any)?

Thanks...

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

A lot depends on whether they are under AppleCare. If they are under AppleCare, by all means let Apple help them. If they are not under AppleCare or warranty, I wouldn't worry about helping them. If you do it, it's no worse than if they pried open their Mac to add more RAM or swap the HDD and if you are skilled, it's probably better.

As for legalities I don't know the "official" answer. Mine is the "common sense" answer and I find Apple to appreciate common sense more often than not which is why I use Apple gear almost exclusively.

There are a lot of companies that when you walk in they think "What revenue can I get out of this guy on this visit? I may never see him again." and they are right! Apple employees more often than not act as if they think "What can I do to make this guy glad he came here today? I want him to want to come back."

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

So what happens if you have a friend/family's Mac, and you drop it on the floor and destroy it? They could well expect you to replace their machine. I've helped friends/family diagnose problems, but there's no way I would open the machine up. If it was my machine, fine, I take the risk. As far as applecare/warranty is concerned, if you open the machine and break something, then Apple isn't going to fix it free.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This. Risks outweigh the benefits.