Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

islandman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
According to OWC, Apple has restricted options for upgrading the hard drives in the 2011 iMacs by changing the SATA power cable in such a way that it is impossible to replace the factory drive without having fan-speed issues.

If there is no true workaround for this, it is a sad day. Apparently, you can't even replace a Seagate with a bigger one without having the issue, for example.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
That sucks - the post above yours is describing that issue. That's going to be a big, big complaint especially a few years down the line

Hubris

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
That is pretty unfortunate. Does this modification also effect the second drive bay? I just purchased the M312 (2.7 21.5") yesterday with the plan to pop in a SSD boot drive (or better yet, SSD Cache) In a year or two.

Also, would a fan control utility at least make it possible to regulate the issue?

DanFreemanPhoto

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Brilliant. I've just ordered the top spec 27" iMac this morning (without HDD and RAM upgrade)

AND....and OCZ Vertex 3 SATA-III SSD and Seagate 2TB HDD.

Oh well......

islandman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
That is pretty unfortunate. Does this modification also effect the second drive bay? I just purchased the M312 (2.7 21.5") yesterday with the plan to pop in a SSD boot drive (or better yet, SSD Cache) In a year or two.

Also, would a fan control utility at least make it possible to regulate the issue?

Apparently, they said that adding something to the second bay is fine, as long as the factory drive isn't removed.

I bet that the fan control utility would still work.

DanFreemanPhoto

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
So it's looks like the best bet is to simply add an aftermarket SSD to the existing HDD.

Can anyone positively say if doing that will void the waranty?

Also, I assume replacing the HDD itself would indeed void the warranty?

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
With ThunderBolt ports available, the appeal of cracking open an iMac seems lower than it ever was. Just plug in an external (once TB enclosures become available). It'll be just as fast as replacing the internal devices.

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
This is what I plan on doing and is why I only went with the 1GB HD option.
However I also see that it's not possible to boot off an external drive so the cunning plan of putting the OS on the TB drive is not going to work.
Damn these meddling kids.... :p

With ThunderBolt ports available, the appeal of cracking open an iMac seems lower than it ever was. Just plug in an external (once TB enclosures become available). It'll be just as fast as replacing the internal devices.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
This is what I plan on doing and is why I only went with the 1GB HD option.
However I also see that it's not possible to boot off an external drive so the cunning plan of putting the OS on the TB drive is not going to work.
Damn these meddling kids.... :p

Umm, sorry if I've missed something but when did Apple stop you booting off an external drive?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1948

If you mean specificaly with Thunderbolt drives then surely no-one really knows that yet?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Looks like you're better off sticking to an 2010 i7 and plopping an SSD in it. Done and done.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
There is an option to order just the SSD....wondering if you order this and then try to put in an aftermarket internal 3.5" HDD, what it will do to the fans? Also wonder how Apple has this configured to where the fans don't run at full speed....might just to order one and see...

thaniel98

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
You can replace the existing hard drive with a SSD just not a larger hard drive. So far i've tested a OCZ vertex 2 in the main HD slot. I have not received all the parts yet to add the SSD as a secondary drive the way apple would when you get the SSD + HD option through them.

With this drives, being SSDs they do not have internal temp sensors, report a temp value of 0 deg back to the logic board so HD fan never ramps up. It seems to have similar results to using a jumper on the thermal sensor on the older 2009 imacs.

I would be interested to hear why the OCZ drives seem to work fine but the OWC ones don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.