Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Life is Sweet

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I have been researching a bit on cycles, and intels chips and I think that i can guess the releases for 12 months or so. This is what I think, please say if you agree or disagree and why or if i have left anything out. The later I go the harder and less accurate it will be.

October '07: Leopard
November '07: Mac Pro update (penryn)
December 07': Ultraportable
Q1 '08 (including MWSF): Macbook update (penryn and possible redesign to aluminium), iPhone update (or in December),
Q2 '08: Macbook Pro and iMac update (montevina - maybe Q3 depending on chip release) and Mac Mini update/successor Ultraportable update (or early Q3).
Q3 '08: iPod updates, other things (new product that was mentioned).
Q4 '08: Mac Pro update (Nehalem) and others
Q1+2 '09: Rest of products to Nehalem.

Note: There are many things that Apple could add that we dont know. That's why I need your responses. Also I may have left something else out.

Maybe a Powerbook G5 :D

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I have been researching a bit on cycles, and intels chips and I think that i can guess the releases for 12 months or so. This is what I think, please say if you agree or disagree and why or if i have left anything out. The later I go the harder and less accurate it will be.

October '07: Leopard
November '07: Mac Pro update (penryn)
December 07': Ultraportable
Q1 '08 (including MWSF): Macbook update (penryn and possible redesign to aluminium), iPhone update (or in December),
Q2 '08: Macbook Pro and iMac update (montevina - maybe Q3 depending on chip release) and Mac Mini update/successor Ultraportable update (or early Q3).
Q3 '08: iPod updates, other things (new product that was mentioned).
Q4 '08: Mac Pro update (Nehalem) and others
Q1+2 '09: Rest of products to Nehalem.

Note: There are many things that Apple could add that we dont know. That's why I need your responses. Also I may have left something else out.

Maybe a Powerbook G5 :D

Q3 '08 updated iMacs in purple and green (with Matte-only screen option).

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
October: Leopard
November: Macbooks to SR
November-December: Mac Pro, Xserve
January-February: Macbook Pros, iMacs to Penryn
May: Macbooks to Penryn
July-August: Macbook Pro, iMac to Montevina, Mini to SR
November: Macbook to Montevina

Life is Sweet

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
You forgot the Xserves.

Don't know anything about them. When could they be updated?

not so sure about all of it but it's possible, just updates seem a little to frequent. What about new products.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Don't know anything about them. When could they be updated?

not so sure about all of it but it's possible, just updates seem a little to frequent. What about new products.

How are they too frequent? That's the computer business.

Macbooks are almost a given to go to SR in November. Look at their revision dates:

May 06, November 06, May 07. See a pattern?

Life is Sweet

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Redesigns

Do you think there will be any MAC redesigns? eg macbook to aluminium (see apple.com about becoming greener) or a macbook pro redesign (old design)

cervaro

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Kent, UK
Then they would be 1 month ahead of the new penryn Xeon proccessors which will go in the Mac Pro. Then they'd be out of date in a month

But then that assumes we all believe the publicised timeline on Penryn dished out by Intel. Wouldn't be the first time that something actually comes out ahead of schedule for once. ;)

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Then they would be 1 month ahead of the new penryn Xeon proccessors which will go in the Mac Pro. Then they'd be out of date in a month

Retail availability is much different than OEM availability. It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to start shipping machines with hardware that isn't "out" yet. If Leopard was pushed til the end of the month (which I am guessing it will be), I can't see why a Mac Pro wouldn't be out at that point. Or at least announced and shipping soon.

The new iMac is a good example. Apple was shipping the X7800 Merom before anyone else. Before its "release" meaning they had plenty of time to engineer and build them.

If there is a new Mac Pro coming before years end. It is most likely engineered and ready to go but awaiting whatever parts it needs in quantity.

Of course, who knows when it is coming. But it is. Nice predictions though, we will have to come back and see if you are right.

cervaro

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Kent, UK
About time the Mac Pro didn't have the same base graphics card onboard that was in the last edition of the iMac! Need to take it up to an 8600GTS at least, or a Radeon 2900XT if moving over to ATI as with the newest iMacs. If that's the case, I'd be expecting the MacBook Pro to have a mobile version of the Radeon 2600 Pro/XT when next revised. That inbuilt UVC with the 2600 series would be good preparation for a Bluray and/or HD-DVD option. ;)

Life is Sweet

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007

If this is right, what will the macbook SR processor speeds be, because they usually use high processors (eg current ones are higher end merom 2.0/2.16) so since there is 2.8, 2.6, 2.4, 2.2, 2.0 etc they could go high eg 2.4/2.6. But then it would be more powerful then the MBP, so what speed do you think they'll use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.