Apple Future Thunderbolt Display Dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by garrick2007, Oct 27, 2016.

1. garrick2007 macrumors member

garrick2007

Looks as if apple is killing their dislpay line when they introduced there partnered 5k Lg display. Very very disappointing. This further confirms the route they are going as well. Next will be the Mac Pro (still some faith). And the lg display is so visually unappealing to a mac based studio setup.

2. iAVERY macrumors member

Its 4k so I was excited as my MacBook pro late 2013 can push it through thunderbolt 2 but they made it USB c/TB 3! So, can I still use it with an adapter? I know it wouldn't charge my mac but just curious. Might go third party or get a used thunderbolt display

3. cast128 macrumors regular

cast128

I'm extremely disappointed. I loved my thunderbolt displays. I tried one of the LG thunderbolt 2 cinema 4k displays when it came out with my Mac Pro and the build quality was horrendous. So many of us were willing to pay for a matching Apple quality aluminum display That I can't believe they have given up on that product line. Today was without a doubt the most disappointed I've ever felt after an Apple event....ridiculous jacked up prices, no updates for 3+ year old computers, no Apple displays.
    I always thought Apple would stay true to their long time computer customer base, but it now seems that we have taken a backseat to Apple's mobile products. I have always given Apple the benefit of the doubt and disagreed with many users about how "Apple was largely abandoning the Mac." After today, I largely agree that Mac's are no longer a priority. A sad day for Mac users.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2016 ---

Only the 15" late 2013 MBP can handle a 4K display at a usable 60hz. Those of us stuck with the 13" late 2013 MBP's are stuck with crappy 30Hz 4K displays - not even worth the cost. Count yourself lucky you can drive a true 4k display, just not the "new" black plastic LG.

4. garrick2007, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

garrick2007 thread starter macrumors member

garrick2007

They have some adapters out there, just noticed this, I guess if you connect it "backwards" idk it might actually work, depends on the way usb c/TB3 works but seems like its usually bi directional. If you connect a standard TB cable to that device and connect straight to the LG. Might have action, For $1,200 though thats not a bad price for 5k monitor. Wats sad is it doesn't provide a usb c Tb port for daisy chaining from the display like the latest TB display.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2016 ---
    Todays keynote was very disappointing, no apple AirPods then this! Only thing I'm excited about is the new FCPX (currently being downloaded) and the mbp's seem cool but i would never buy another tricked out mbp to fill the space of a main work station ever again. Your money can go so much farther with just an iMac. As far as the Displays go I'm in the same boat as you. The thunderbolt displays are beautiful and there is nothing else out there that even comes close to the design. The LG display is down right ugly. Maybe since it appears to be dead someone will create something that we can be proud to have next to our Apple computers.