apple G4 upgrade

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by celdronis, Apr 26, 2009.

1. celdronis macrumors newbie

Hello,

anyone knows if a PowerMac G4 450 can be upgraded?
    Is it possible to remove its processor and replace it with another Apple's one, say, G4 800MHz or G4 1.2GHz?

:)

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes it's possible, although it involves a little more than just plugging in a new CPU. See http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accelerators/ for more info.

However, it really doesn't make any sense upgrading a machine of that age. You'd be far better off selling it and replacing it with a Mac mini or iMac - you'll get a lot more bang for your buck and far greater long-term reliability.

3. mr1970 macrumors member

It really depends what you want to do with it.

If you want to rip video, play modern games or watch online video, as the previous poster said it's probably better to sell it and spend the cash to get something quicker (ideally with an intel processor). This is almost certainly a better idea than buying a new processor upgrade.

On the other hand, I have a 500mhz g4 to which I've added 2GB of RAM and 2TB of mirrored hard drive on a third party SATA PCI card and it works brilliantly as a home media server (to the apple tv and other macs in the house). I also use it for very occasional web browsing but nothing involving Flash.

It's robust, dead easy to work on, has Gigabit Ethernet and with remote desktop turned on I can manage it using VNC from anywhere in the house - can't ask for more.