Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Games To Remain on iPod, iPhone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A recent extension of Apple's trademark to cover handheld gaming sparked some speculation that Apple might try its hand at a dedicated gaming device. However, a more cautious interpretation of this move is that Apple is simply covering their recent move into iPod game sales.

Develop Magazine claims that this is indeed the case, and that Apple is not planning on introducing a dedicated gaming device.
"Apple is very protective of the reputation it has built in the electronics market," said our source - familiar with Apple's conversations with software companies - speaking under conditions of anonymity. "So don't hold your breath for an announcement of an 'iGame' console just yet."
Instead, Apple is said to be looking to add more mobile games to its iPod, Touch and iPhone products. At present, Apple hand picks developers who it feels will make the best games for the iPod, and does not allow all comers to participate.

The iPhone and iPod Touch, however, are due to see a more public Software Development Kit (SDK) this month, though the exact details remain unknown.

Article Link

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Makes sense. I'd personally rather Apple not spend time/money developing a dedicated console. Developing games on the multi-touch interface sound like a good plan to me.

Comment

shiunn

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2006
didn't apple build a console before? some links on MR brought me to Pippin the other day; although it's not a handheld device...

Comment

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
maybe Apple will be start exclusively developing games for Wii/DS? wasn't there are rumor a while back concerning an Apple+Nintendo Partnership?

Comment

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
maybe Apple will be start exclusively developing games for Wii/DS? wasn't there are rumor a while back concerning an Apple+Nintendo Partnership?

no, the rumors were for Nintendo developing for Apple. Why would Nintendo want Apple to develope for Nintendo's consoles? Apple hasn't had much experience in gaming, so a partnership with nintendo would be great. Although I don't ever see it happening I would be first inline to have a 2.5D Zelda game on my iPod!

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Although Apple muscled into the mobile phone market and is doing well so far, I doubt they could make much of a dent in the traditional (and cut-throat) computer game or console game market. They'd need something incredibly new and different, and we have no evidence that they have any such invention or new idea up their sleeve.

Maybe they'll expand iPod-type games just a bit, into the Apple TV.

Comment

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Well remember what everyone said about when there was talks of Apple making a phone. Everyone smashed the idea and now look at Apple.

I think that Apple should focus on getting more game companies to start developing games for the mac. I dont think it would be a bad idea but I also dont think it would be a good idea either. I trust that Apple can make an awesome game console but I just cant see where it would go.

Comment

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
They'd need something incredibly new and different, and we have no evidence that they have any such invention or new idea up their sleeve.

Maybe they'll expand iPod-type games just a bit, into the Apple TV.

Not sure how incredibly new or different this concept is (I'm guessing "neither"), but I could see iPhones/touches acting as a wireless remotes for :apple:TV - whose function could also eventually include gaming control. And I say "eventually" as we all know basic navigational functionality (Play, Pause, Volume, Select, etc.) would be rolled out well in advance of more complex gaming control.
Could be interesting... or at least sounds more plausible, to me, than a stand-alone gaming console (at least as we know "gaming consoles" today).

Apple is putting a lot of eggs in their multi-touch basket.
I have a feeling they're only scratching the surface (is that a pun, and a bad one at that?) of where they're planning on taking multi-touch.
I always found it interesting that Steve appeared so emotional during the iPhone announcement. Maybe it's that he knew where they planned on taking multi-touch. Or that the iPhone announcement will later be looked at as the beginning of a better Apple (a comment sure to insight riots). If not both.
Time will tell.

Comment

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
I highly doubt that Apple would try and release any type of dedicated gaming product, be it a handheld, console, etc.

The gaming world is an entirely different place: things like consistent user interfaces and seamless integration of data across applications and devices are not factors. In short, everything Apple is really good at wouldn't help them at all in the gaming market. Plus, the market seems to have some degree of saturation already with some players who have been in the game for a while (no pun intended.)

If Apple *did* want to get into this market, they would do best to start with buying a gaming company or two. But I would fear that this would spread them way too thin.

Comment

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Releasing a nice game catalog for the Touch and iPhone is a natural evolution, why waist the time on a dedicated console if they already have millions of devices in the hands of consumers. Its extra revenue and will create more demand for the devices.

Comment

Retired
May 16, 2006
Well remember what everyone said about when there was talks of Apple making a phone. Everyone smashed the idea and now look at Apple.

What? The iPhone was one of the most highly anticipated gadgets of all time! "Everyone smashed the idea" is just plain wrong.

Comment

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Cnet: In the US during the month January, Nintendo sold 274,000 Wiis, Sony sold 269,000 PlayStation 3 machines and Microsoft sold 230,000 Xbox 360 consoles, NPD said.
On the handheld front, Nintendo sold 251,000 of its DS units while Sony's PSP moved 230,000 units.

Apple now sells more Macs than all game consoles combined, can't see Apple entering this highly competitive market. A market that is moving towards a general multimedia service, Apple is just taking a different route with the AppleTV and iPod/iPhone.

Comment

diamond.g

macrumors 604
Mar 20, 2007
Virginia
Apple now sells more Macs than all game consoles combined, can't see Apple entering this highly competitive market. A market that is moving towards a general multimedia service, Apple is just taking a different route with the AppleTV and iPod/iPhone.

Does NPD give out how many Apple computers are sold every month? I vote that we all pool our money together to get NPD results!!!

I've been giving the game market some thought. I would like to see Apple try to tackle the market. If anything it will cause MS and Sony to have to shift back towards the Wii type stuff. Plus I am curious to see what Apple could bring to the table with a multi touch controller. I am not sure how intuitive it would be to have to look at the controller while playing a game though. But it would be worth a shot. Hey Apple has a few billion they could throw at it (like MS did).

Comment

adville

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
Intent-to-use application

As a trademark lawyer, I tend to agree that this is more likely just about covering expanding protection for the brand, given that they are essentially offering these services now.

The only thing slightly unusual with that is that they filed the application on the basis of their similar application in the EU, and an intent to use the mark in this way. If the application refers to goods already in use, why not provide a specimen of use now, and file on the basis of use in commerce?

However, it is not uncommon for companies to file on an intent-to-use basis, even if the product is in use, perhaps simply because they would rather get the application on file in a timely manner, and not hold it up to round up examples showing use.

Comment

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
I'd like to point out that AppleTV is not a dedicated gaming console, but if ever Apple designed a Trojan Horse product... AppleTV (and future iterations thereof) is it.

Comment

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
"Toys, games and playthings, namely, hand-held units for playing electronic games; hand-held units for playing video games; stand alone video game machines; electronic games other than those adapted for use with television receivers only; LCD game machines; electronic educational game machines; toys, namely battery-powered computer games"

Sounds like a lot more than just covering for iPod/iPhone games to me, but this is AAPL were talkin'bout. I wonder how many grocers get letters from Apple legal for using the word "pod" in their produce section?

Comment

diamond.g

macrumors 604
Mar 20, 2007
Virginia
What someone needs to make is my idea for iPhone + game controller.

http://flickr.com/photos/danielmacdonald/2127089390/

Looks interesting. But the buttons and directional pad look like they are in the way when using the thumbsticks. Plus they seem pretty small.

Slightly OT, the idea is quite close to Sega's Dreamcast VU idea. I thought it was a cool idea, but was bummed out when I found out that the OG Xbox controller didn't completely rip the idea off.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.