Apple Gaming Console? iPlay?!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scott:mac, Feb 10, 2008.

1. scott:mac macrumors regular

I heard a rumour of a friend : Apple are bringing out a New Gaming Console, Its going to be called the iPlay with sensor abilities (like the Wii), but with Playstation 3, Xbox 360 Seventh Generation Graphics and Xbox Live but free using Mac servers.
    I also heard rumours of a Nintendo-Apple console.
    Sound great.

Scott
    Self Confessed Expert.
    :apple:

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

3. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i really dont think apples target is gaming, just look at the graphic cards they use in their computers. I would love to see something like that though, but the name has to change ;)

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I'd buy it hehe. Maybe GamePod, or something. Sounds like an HD Wii.

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I think If they copied Nintendo People wouldn't buy it and Apple would have yet another lawsuit.

6. scott:mac thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i agree Nintendo wouldn't like a copy of there best selling Console, Even if it is just a copy of a Playstation 1 time crisis gun.

GamePod Isnt Bad.

iGame
    iFun
    iCon (iConsole)
    OR even just stick with the original Pipin.

Scott
    Self Confessed Expert
    :apple:

7. tsincaat macrumors member

Well, they do not target their computers towards gaming, but I think they could be successful with a console. One reason being that they could possibly launch in the middle of the other consoles lifespans, meaning they could buff up the capibilities of their console to be above the others.

At the same time unless they purchased or hired a huge number of developers, they'd have to jump into the race with little or no first party publishers, one reason why I don't believe they'd come out with a console at this point.

Why wouldn't people buy it? State your reasons!
    I think they'd have to copy Nintendo exactly to risk a lawsuit. Nintendo didn't exactly patent the motion sensor.

8. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I would definitely be interested in a new game system/entertainment center from Apple. A combination of apple tv/downloading movies, and available gaming would be great.

The biggest problem I see is that Apple has been known for not supporting the gaming community with their graphics cards and game selections. I see this as a big obstacle to overcome.

9. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

18 Billion in the bank......maybe Apple should buy Nintendo ? Get some extra 'Halo effect' action.

10. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I personally think that Nintendo (and yes OK, Sony and MS as well) have this covered and that Apple don't really have a great deal to contribute to the frontline of gaming consoles. They should just keep going the way they have been with low-cost games for their iPods, Apple TVs and iPhone, etc. Soon enough there will be a great little game that comes along and does what Tetris did for the Gameboy but for iPod/iPhone gaming. In the meantime there's no need to get distracted. Although Apple could easily prove me wrong if they pull off the online gaming experience by integrating sales of "proper" games into iTunes along with loads of other functionality.

11. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

the money isn't in the high rez big production cost games, it's in the low rez low production cost, mainstream, addictive games like popcaps. If Apple were to go more into the gaming market this is what they would target. They wouldn't produce a gaming platform but utilize the platforms they already have (ie ipods and :apple:TV).