Apple gave me a new 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsliz89, Jun 23, 2010.

1. itsliz89 macrumors member

Quite a story...

I have a 17" macbook pro that I bought in 2007. Didn't buy Apple Care and a month ago, the display was getting static (little green and red dots moving all around the screen) when the computer was stressed like running a DVD or streaming videos.

I went to the apple store and they replaced my lcd screen free of charge. Yay new screen!

I got back and found that there was this thing on the screen. I call it this thing because the genius didn't even know what it was. It was some blue hair like thing on the screen when it was on. Anyway, they replaced the screen again.

When I got home, I tried using my macbook and turns out it wouldn't even turn on at all. I take it back to the apple store and they replace the motherboard and the top case of the bottom part of the macbook. I tried turning on the macbook at the store this time to see if everything was alright and it seemed like it so I took it home. I was happy that I had a new top case, the trackpad was nice and new while my old one was smooth and eroded.

Buut I find out that the iSight didn't work. I tried all the troubleshooting steps before I brought the macbook back to the apple store and it just didn't work. Turns out the person who replaced the lcd the second time royally screwed my computer up. They messed up the mother board and didn't attach the lcd display properly!

I just expected the genius to go attach the iSight thing real quick and I'd be on my way. Turns out they offered to give me a brand spankin new mbp for my inconvenience. Sweet! I was just really happy that they repaired my macbook free of charge without Apple Care to begin with. I actually sat there and though about it for a while because my older model had some features that I preferred over the newer models like being able to change the battery yourself easily for one. I went ahead and chose the new macbook. Pretty cool of them! Now that's good customer service; I'm an apple user for life! :D I'm buying Apple Care on this one though; I've learned my lesson. Don't think I can continue to get lucky as I have in the past.

My old macbook had like 140 gb of space or something like that. This new one has 500 GB and spaces between the keys! Yay. One thing that bugs me though is this larger screen resolution. Everything's so tiny x_- I tried changing the resolution but then everything became blurry :(

[​IMG]

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Wow, good for you man!

Which model did you get? i5??

3. itsliz89 thread starter macrumors member

It's an i7 :)

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Wow.

Not going to lie, but stories like this (and I've seen plenty of them where Apple went above and beyond what would normally be expected) are why I bought my first Mac ever (13" MBP) less than 2 weeks ago.

5. onne2slick macrumors regular

Oh my god !!!!!!!! No apple care, and they offered you support? I am so jealous!

I didn't buy apple care for my iphone, and it's FILLED with hairline cracks. It's been a while, and eventually these hairline cracks, turned into actual cracks on the phone. I might book an appointment soon. I think they would charge me $99 though for a replacement.

You are so lucky :( :mad:

6. highADP macrumors member

7. Reapur macrumors regular

Is your phone less than a year old? If so they will replace the phone over the counter no questions asked. Hairline cracks are covered, ive had to replace mine several times because of this.

8. viraldesign macrumors newbie

this happened for me too about 6 months ago.

I was about 6 months past my applecare and they saw that I had a few things done to it over the year or so I had the applecare (replace screen, etc.) and I get a call saying "We fried 2 $750 logic boards today and can't figure out why, so we're just gonna load your data onto a new macbook. come pick it up in 4 hours!"

I was totally in shock. I was waiting for a damn pricetag to come out and have them charge me full price. but no, no price, FREE.

<3 apple!

9. Reventon macrumors 6502

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Enjoy your machine! And consider getting AppleCare for it. You may not be always this lucky....

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats; this is how Apple gets more customers: odds are you will continue buying Apple products because of this and by telling others of your experience, they will buy Apple products as well.

12. a2ed macrumors newbie

No need for applecare for the 1st year

Your MBP comes with a one year warranty. The apple care kicks in a year after that. So you're still going to get support and repair in the first year. Some, like myself, might just buy the apple care upon the purchase of the MBP just in case we forget to to get the apple care before the year warranty runs out. If not, you could always purchase an apple care at the end of the first year.

13. NStocks macrumors 65816

Your'e so lucky! I had my 2009 17" repaired and it's now the 6th week without a Mac. Apple are replacing it but they told me I should have it by now, but it can be another week before the replacement is shipped to me (week 7!) and mine is in warranty!

I'm really pleased for you though, you must be very happy! It's a shame Apple can't treat the in-warranty customers this way too :rolleyes:

14. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

i just took my 17" 2007 MBP to the genius bar due to failing graphics card. i didn't have AppleCare, but they are replacing the logic board for me right now. so happy!

i DO however have AppleCare for my new 15" i7, and am having a problem with firewire. they were less helpful with that issue. they said they will replace the logic board if i want but it may not fix the problem.