Apple GeForce 8800GT in Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 100Years, Apr 24, 2011.

1. 100Years macrumors regular

I came across a deal on a used Apple 8800GT, that came from a 2008 Mac Pro. The seller told me that to the best of his knowledge, this card is not useable by Windows. Is this true? I was looking at this card as an alternative to my GT120, to be used strictly for CUDA work.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

3. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hmm. The card should work fine, in fact I've had that model Mac Pro with that card and have gamed in Windows with it, so I'd guess it'll work. No idea if it'll work with CUDA, it should though. Perhaps others will be able to chime in with more definitive answers.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

What the seller probably meant is that it won't actually boot in a standard Windows PC, which would be correct.

But a Mac Pro running Windows via Bootcamp, different story.

5. CFoss macrumors 6502

It works fine. In fact, games run faster on Windows than OS-X, for the most part. I've played a variety of games on Windows XP, Windows 7, and OS-X, and the nVidia 8800 GT does a fine job. Maybe not as well as the more modern GPUs, but it does well enough (Portal 2 runs on High for everything, excluding Shadows at Medium, and x2 AA).

6. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Why won't it run in a PC?

7. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

To my knowledge, the card carries a PC Bios as well as the Mac EFI, it should work fine in a PC.

There are some Mac Pro GPU's that wont work in a PC, I believe one of them is 1900XT. Instead of carrying a PC Bios on the GPU firmware chip, it's located in the Mac Pro Firmware Chip and loaded when user boots Windows via boot camp.

8. 100Years thread starter macrumors regular