Apple Genius Admits iPhone 3G Build Quality is Substandard

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, May 3, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I had a recent experience at the Apple Store in Brea, California which you can read about in full Here.

Basically I brought back my third iPhone 3G because this one had large, obvious light leaks and was told that Apple has advised the Genius' to stop replacing iPhone 3Gs for this problem because it is a manufacturing issue that is "within spec". My first 3G kept dropping calls, my second developed cracks in the plastic housing ( not from dropping, I have never dropped my iPhone ) and as I stated my third now has large light leaks, and a vertical strip on both sides of the screen ( portrait ) that is lighter than the rest of the screen.

I was told by the Genius that he believes Apple has lowered their standard, and that these problems are unacceptable but that he must follow the instructions that he is given. He also told me that I should get people to complain, and hopefully Apple will change their stance on it. While I don't believe any amount of complaining will make Apple decide to recall iPhone 3Gs due to the multiple KNOWN manufacturer defects, I will still be making my voice heard tomorrow.

Anyway, what is everyone else's opinion? Do you believe that Apple has lowered the bar for the Quality Control on the iPhone 3Gs, and do you think this is acceptable?

Thank you - Eric

2. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I have no problem believing that. The 3Gs have been replaced so much and it's obvious they weren't made as good as the original iPhone. I guess that's the price to pay for a big decrease in price (399 to 199). Hopefully the next iPhone is a lot better even if it's a little more (something I know most people won't mind).

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

even though the build quality might not be perfect, there is no difference in price between the 3G and 1st gen iphone because ATT picks up the subsidized price.

4. Untaken macrumors member

I would have paid more for my 3G if it had saved me from needing 7 replacements (so far). I really hope Apple gets their @#$% together and these defects just go away on the new model. If not, I'll be getting my money back and more than likely picking up a Palm Pre (one way or another I'm selling my iPhone in 2-3 months).

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Wowzers, that genius was taking a bit of a liberty. Generally the golden rule at your job is to toe the line and not diss your boss (at least not to the customer in the middle of the shop)

Also, had he said that to me I would have fully exploited it, called the manager and demanded a replacement as one of the company's employees had admitted the quality was substandard.

Yeah, that's **** to the genius but if the quality of your very expensive phone is below par then I'd want a replacement.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

First things first Apple own the standard to which their devices are built.
    If the phone is built to design spec well it meets the build standard.

The Apple genius, whatever that means, has their opinion.

My guess the device is built for an averae amount of use, to withstand multiple drops fromless than 2 feet and have a specified battery life under certain circumstances.

I think the battey should support 12 hours of surfing without requiring a recharge.
    Does that mean the battery is substandard no it means I want better battery life.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Hahah You really think you saved money buying the 3G? Man, I guess subsidizing really does make people think something is cheaper...

8. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I know what you mean by that since the data is $10 more but you still pay less for the phone then with the original iPhone up front. I am also pretty sure the original iPhone is more expensive then the 3G if I'm not mistaken.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I get to pay $10 more for the 3G service that I can't utilize due to being on the fringes of the coverage zones.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No, the original iPhone was unsubsidized. A subsidy does not make it any cheaper.

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

For sure the 3G is not the quality piece of kit Apple says it is.

12. bob616 macrumors 6502

i dont know. the 3g looks pretty well built.
    the only problem i had was that my iphone 3g was getting dust under the home button, but apple replaced it for me with asking any questions.

13. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

You are not paying $10 dollars extra for 3G.
    This has been beaten to death.
    You are paying the same for your data plan as every other smartphone
    on AT&T.

14. aok1975 macrumors 6502

...and that is why its not well built.

15. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Not all of them. The first gen iphone data is $20 a month.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yes, but every smartphone data plan, that AT&T still sells, has a $30 data plan.

17. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I'm glad to see people agree ( eventhough I wish we didn't have something to agree about ). I half expected to get a lot of flak from Apple Fanboys who swear up and down that the 3G is built perfectly. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple... That's why I switched from a provider I have been ( mostly ) satisfied with for 9 years and received MORE minutes for only $19.99 a month to a service I wasn't too stoked about, I thought the iPhone would make it worth it. I NEVER thought I would be disappointed in a product Apple made... Especially something as big as the iPhone... Maybe a shuffle?

Anyway, I truly hope something changes.

18. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

What a ***** Genius/Employee in general.

I'm 100% in agreement with you all about quality control.

But thats a really unprofessional thing to say to a customer. And he's kinda stabbing his employer in the back.

19. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

But then the 'genius' may have gotten in trouble, or even fired, for talking bad about the company, and that wouldnt be fair.

The only experience i've had with iphone 3g durability is when my friend dropped his in a glass of juice (im still not sure how it happened). I told him to take the battery out (i later realized that you cant take the battery out of an iphone, even if its been submerged in liqid and needs to dry... stupid design, imo) and carefully wash the juice off as the water will dry without leaving gunk behind. He let it dry for 2 days and it worked perfect ever since.

20. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

I dont know why people are crying (figure of speech....) over the genius saying that Apple's build quality is substandard. They are the ones that experience returns and replacements more than any of us. If anybody I think hes the one that should saying it because he might of replaced 10 of those that day already. We just dont know. He might be sick of the iPhone coming back to him to just be replaced and brought back...

21. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I have had 7 replacements so far and need to go back in again this week. :(:mad:

I would seriously pay $500 if I get something that doesn't need to be replaced every month.

22. nicheco macrumors member

23. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

<3 only reason i dont want a 3g is the extra 10$ a month :)

24. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

I've kept mine in an incase slider case with the power support crystal film since day one (oct. 2008) and even I agree that the build quality is totally substandard. The stainless "steel" on the iphone is total crap and gets completely blasted with scratches within days of use, even the sliding motion of the slider case has messed up my stainless steel on my 3g. The volume button on the side gets loose, the ring around the headphone jack is crap, and apple logo is easily scratched too.

You guys remember that photo that is said to be the back cover for the new 3rd gen iphone due in June? You know, the one with the matte black finish and white apple logo? Well, be it fake or real, that design is making more and more sense now....I mean think about it. It'll probably wrap around all the way to the screen, doing away with the steel, the logo is made of a different material and/or painted with something else, and the matte finish would definitely be less susceptible to scratching and smudging.

So I REALLY hope that apple does in fact release a 3rd gen iphone this june, and that they put out a superior product.

25. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

It is obvious that they didn't break the bank building it, but I haven't had cracks in the plastic, scratched "stainless" parts or dust under the screen or buttons.

I expect plastic and chrome to scratch (see every ipod ever created (minus the shuffle and the nano) on the backside). This thing is definitely better constructed than the 5th gen ipods.. that thing flexed and felt like it was going to break at any time.