Apple Genius becomes my Santa...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlackiBook, Nov 24, 2009.

1. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

So I wake up this morning to find out that I had somehow broken the glass screen of my 13' macbook pro! I have no idea how it happened either, the only thing I can think of is that I have a problem with sleep walking and the computer was sitting on the floor by my bed... Well either way the screen is shattered and I was bummed but I needed to get it fixed as soon as possible so I make an appointment at my local Apple store. I fully expected to have to pay to fix it which would have cleared out my bank account and that would mean no christmas for the wife. The Genius takes a look at the screen and tells me that accidental damage is not covered and that it would be $400 something for the screen and more for the labor... Crap!! He gets up says he will be right back and walks into the back, about 3 minutes later he comes back out and says Merry Christmas! We will do it for free! So now I have to wait until the screen comes in but they are going to fix it! Has anyone else gotten a Merry Christmas answer to their problems? Or is this a singular event?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Wow! Lucky as!

Man, the last time someone walked to the back and came out saying "Merry Christmas" it wasn't so pleasant =\

3. Surely Guest

Surely

That's awesome. Congrats!

I hope you sat on his lap at least....... ;)

I've had similar experiences. On my MacBook, I've had the keyboard/trackpad component replaced due to cracking, and I've had the plastic bezel around the screen replaced also due to cracking. Both times were out of the warranty period, and I do not have AppleCare. Just nice Geniuses......

/I think your wife did it ;)

4. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I blamed her at first but she beat me into submission and said that I am the one that sleep walks... Haha kidding about the beating! (she made me say that)

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Aw c'mon.... you can't actually verbally blame the wife. You have to do it in your head, so she can't hear you.

That doesn't always work though, because at some point in time wives learn to read our thoughts.

My wife is also very good at deflecting blame.......

:D

6. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Why do you think I have given up thinking... she knows things before I even think them!! See I was thinking this was going to be an Apple Christmas thing, fix everyones problems whether or not they are supposed to be covered, but I guess I was just lucky!

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well, sitting in his lap and whispering in his ear probably helped. ;)

8. tclamp07 macrumors member

I had a recent gift from apple... I have had to replace my C2D 3.06ghz 27" imac with 4gb of ram and a 1tb hdd 3 times and a few days ago called applecare and told them I wanted to return it because I have had so many problems with them. The applecare rep put me on hold and came back to tell me they were going to upgrade me to the 2.8ghz i7 with 8gb of ram and a 2tb hdd for free! So a gift from apple for christmas:D

9. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

As with all people, the behaviour of apple techs ranges from total asshats to great people. Nice to be on the positive side of the scale.

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

@tclamp07 yeah I read your story, lucky lucky dog.

*MrCheeto is even more reassured in his decision to never marry* :rolleyes:

11. tclamp07 macrumors member

Yeah I know Ill be the first to admit it! Im still in shock!

12. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You know it's funny, the day you posted that topic I received my MacBook Pro 13" that Apple sent to replace my defective AluMacBook.

13. tclamp07 macrumors member

Nice!

14. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Thats awesome! Well my I was told I will get my MBP and its shiny new screen back on saturday! I am excited!

15. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wow! You sure are a lucky guy! Congratulations! :D

16. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

incredible!

17. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I got my logic board on my uMBP13 replaced twice very unnecessarily. 1st time because computer was freezing up and a day later apple released a software update to deal with that. And the next time because my internal mic wasn't working and the ports weren't aligned due to a shoddy first repair. So th only gift I was given was a waste of my time.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

That's great. Something like this would never happen in any Apple store close to me(at least not that I've heard?). In fact, my local Apple store once refused to replace an in warranty repair that another store had promised. I had to go back to that original store where they happily made the repair. Nevertheless, I'm glad to hear you got a break.

One question, would you really have not bought your wife a present if you had to pay for it? You think you would have survived that? :)

19. BlackiBook thread starter macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Well I still would have gotten her something but our plans are to go to Cancun, Mexico with a big group of friends and we probably wouldn't have gotten to go, but I still would have bought her something nice (and promised a one on one trip another time) ;)

20. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Seems like the gift of excellent service from AppleCare is becoming an increasingly rare event :(