Apple "genius" @ Best Buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JollyRogers, Sep 14, 2009.

1. JollyRogers macrumors regular

I bought a Time Capsule at the local Best Buy and there was an Apple employee working there full time for customer service. I have not seen this before, but the guy was staying super busy and was super helpful. He was not a BB employee apparently. He handed me his card and told me to email him if I had any questions setting up my Time Capsule.

I thought having an :apple: salesperson there helped immensely. My wife even made a comment about how helpful the guy was. This was a good move on BB or :apple: Only thing better would be to have a Genuis Bar for tech support also. I can't stand dealing with the 40 mile drive to the "local" Apple Store and always get a little perturbed with the way I treated there sometimes.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Apple reps at the stores have not been helpful for me. But then again I don't ask them questions that iThink they hear normally. I agree they are much better then the Best Buy employees who are trained to sell Windows 7.

3. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

The only thing best buy employees are trained on is pushing warranties and over coming objections.

Unless that changed in the 9 years since i've worked for them heh

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope, it hasn't. I don't know why anyone would go to any big box retailer like BB for any actual purchasing advise.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, they now get trained in explaining why Windows 7 is the most stable OS.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

The Best Buys around here all have one full-time Apple employee working at each of them, too. They wear their own Apple shirt, so they're easy to spot from the Best Buy employees that are also qualified to sell Macs. :)

Did his business card have his title on it? They have a special title for Apple employees like that. Not Genius though, .. that's reserved for the folks in the Apple Stores that repair things.

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

No no no. Wrong again. :p

They're programmed to tell the customer, who probably has no idea what they need, that Windows is the best. Period. A lucky few are Mac people. But it's still Best Buy.

Check this out.

8. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

Best Buy employees are like car sales men, they'll aways find you and try to sell something...

9. Vster macrumors 6502

Hey, I used to work at a BB about 9 years ago too! Anyway, I always got in trouble for not selling the "service plans", but come on who needs a $35 service plan on a $100 DVD player. :confused:

On a funny side note, the one plan I didn't buy on a TV and it went out 1 month after the 1 year warranty.:eek: I'm just glad Mitsubishi went ahead and took care of it anyway.

10. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

Years back CompUSA had an in-house apple guy, that usually split his shifts between two or three locations, but I'm not sure if it was a national thing or not, again that was back in the day when Apple Stores were few and far in between.

11. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I have seen the same thing at the local BB but there is a Apple store less than a mile away from them so there is no reason to purchase from them unless the price is cheaper.

I just hate BB and don't like to spend my money there. I was looking at an upper end Plasma TV a few month ago and couldn't get anyone to wait on me to ask questions. Then when I did find someone they lied about the product and i knew more then he did about the TV so I just left and purchased it at another Electronics store and they could have cared less.

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Doesn't that happen by sticking a data spike in the back of their heads? "Whoa... I know Windows."

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What can't understand is why when you go to the Apple store and buy a shuffle, they ask you if you want the AppleCare for it. I've seen people buy the $49 iPod shuffle and then buy the $39 AppleCare for it… That I can never understand

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No... There was a link provided by someone that called me "wrong" earlier, it sheds light on this.

15. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

I grand opened the store in Albany in Crossgates Mall back in 2000. The first store manager was real cool. 9 months go buys and they bring it a new manager/asst. manager from a high achieving numbers store. Everything went to hell. Mandatory early sunday morning meetings. Every night ended with a meeting how we're not doing our jobs. Etc.. I quit when I was told as a sales person, I had to come in at 9pm to do a "Truck duty". Empty product from a truck from 9pm to 1am. See ya! Retail jobs were a dime a dozen at that time heh

I worked at CompUSA previous to BestBuy and we had a few Apple only guys - use to always argue with him in the whole pc vs. mac debate - would love getting him going. I think his only argument was that Mac's could boot to CD first heh

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I was just in BB and noticed that all computers are now displayed as the Macs are, on low tables, light colored wood. It now looks like a ghetto Apple Store. :D

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Genius are those who work at Genius bar. Best Buy doesn't have Genius Bar.

But I would imagine someone who is dedicated to Apple section would have better training than the run of the mill BB employees.

Haha.

Got pics?

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Didn't even occur to me to take them. If I go back to buy the printer, I'll take some.